The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Cap'n Obvious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ia'm knot a looser!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Yetz yoo Izznt.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Add another to the list...

"Don't run if not being chased"
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Sometimes I run for exercise. I am not sufficiently paranoid to believe I am being chased.
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
I feel sometimes that one can be too picky about how people say things. Just let them speak and forget about all the trite things that don't matter. Like spelling. Who cares if someone misspelled something on a posting? It isn't like it is professional business letter to the Congressman or something it is a posting to supposedly friends and colleagues. Get over it.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

No, I won't "get over it". First, take the time to read the OP. You are not a "like soul', so please move on and allow those of us for whom expending the effort to spell properly and using proper grammar is important.

I DO care "if someone misspelled something on a posting". Frankly, some of the postings have gotten practically unreadable. I treasure my language, don't like to see it butchered, think crummy spelling is contagious and do not want to catch it.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 12:05, mandarin wrote:

I'm reminded of the story about a girl who ran out of the woods because she was being chaste.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
On another blog a college professor advised to always include a typo or minor spelling error in a long post. If it is perfect most people will consider it prepared and canned, while one with errors seems "off the cuff" and somehow "more truthful." It is a sad point of view in which slang and error is more truthful than good grammar -- just part of entitlement, I guess.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

You are likely correct, Ken, but do we just ignore it? I am as guilty as anyone with the occasional typo, and am not bothered much when someone hits the wrong key. But for someone to actually put spelling in the category of "trite things that don't matter" is unconscionable- an egregious insult to our language.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-02-09 11:45, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:

I'm reminded of the story about a girl who ran out of the woods because she was being chaste.

TW

because she was being chaste... (a controversial statement: what was she doing in the woods in the first place? Looking for mushroom shaped objects?)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Expanding the universe a little, I also dislike meaningless words that just seem to fill a sentence with air. I think I get this from my editor mentor, who went crazy with legal jargon such as "In the event that..." instead of "If...".

So add to my list:

"sooner or later"...

and "neither here nor there..."

Any more?

Jim
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Uhhhhh...
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

LOL
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
"at any rate"...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Or how about 'leet speak' where people (I'm assuming teenagers with a third grade education) start replacing letters of the alphabet with numbers in some strange effort to "look cool." L1k3 s4y1n6, h0w 60ze 1t d00d? Or using inane abbreviations or chat speak, like: brb, noob, or LOL.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Didn't Sarah Palin start that???
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
The weather-person’s equivalent would be “The temperature is xx degrees, but with the wind-chill (or humidex – a Canadian term), it feels like…”

I always wonder how anyone can discern what a cold day feels like to me. Do they have some guy standing naked in an airfield, chilled to the bone, telling them that “Although it’s 10 degrees, Bob, it sure as heck feels like 1 degree to me.”?

My wife was born in Zimbabwe. Winter “feels” a whole lot different to her than to my Canadian skin!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-02-16 13:24, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-09 11:45, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:

TW

because she was being chaste... (a controversial statement: what was she doing in the woods in the first place? Looking for mushroom shaped objects?)

I just read this! Lawrence I am shocked, shocked I say. What would make you think that was a controversial statement? Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-30 16:03, panlives wrote:
The weather-person’s equivalent would be “The temperature is xx degrees, but with the wind-chill (or humidex – a Canadian term), it feels like…”

I always wonder how anyone can discern what a cold day feels like to me. Do they have some guy standing naked in an airfield, chilled to the bone, telling them that “Although it’s 10 degrees, Bob, it sure as heck feels like 1 degree to me.”?

My wife was born in Zimbabwe. Winter “feels” a whole lot different to her than to my Canadian skin!

Which reminds me of the tv weather "people" who advise us that the "winds are calm"...
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
This thread makes me happy. I often feel alone in my silent ranting about misspelling, poor grammar, or the use my "my 2 cents" and "just saying." I've seen "I'm not saying, I'm just saying" posted on this forum several times; what does that even mean?

One of my biggest pet peeves, more so in general conversation, is when someone starts a conversation with, "Guess what?" or "Can I ask you a question?" No, I don't want to guess. Yes, you may ask me a question. However, you've already asked it by inquiring if you could, indeed, ask me a question. I only allow one question per conversation, and you have used yours up. Please call again tomorrow. Smile

Maybe being raised by two people, both of whom hold a Ph. D in education, caused me to be intolerant of those who do these things. Don't get me started on "How r u" and "i c, that's gr8."

Happy holidays Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Cap'n Obvious (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL