The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Who's Next? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Who will be the next big name in magic in the USA? And what form of magic performance will this person do?

Though, I don't think it will be Derren Brown (his specials here didn't have the impact they had in the UK), it is possible that the person will resemble the model that Derren has built. So,it could be a mentalist, but they would have to present something radically different from what the industry has seen before. It is possible that this name might be a member on the Café, but I would guess that it is not someone well known here. There was a well known Café member that had a great break, but it looks like he didn't have the management behind him to guide him and take advantage of this opportunity. To break through and make impact with the public will take a level of drive not found in someone that has made impact here. If someone has made more than 1,000 post, they are not spending their time heading in the direction I'm talking about.

It could be an illusionist, but once again, they will have to have a different flavor from anything currently being done by the big box guys.

It probably will me someone that looks like they are in their 20s. It could be someone older, but the industry is driven by sex appeal, and unless you are Pete Biro or Bill Palmer, older people don't got it.

It could be someone from outside the USA. I don't think it will be Cyril, though. The level of success he has had in the Asian market must have gotten the attention of industry people here, and it seems that for whatever reason, they have passed on him. I may be wrong about this, but I would think that he would have made a play for stardom in the USA by now.

And it could be a women. If it is, she will be a person doing magic that is distinctly different from what any of her male counterparts are doing.

Whomever it is, I am guessing that it will be someone not afraid to hustle, not only have solid skills but also a strong sense of self that is infused into everything they do as a performer and a level of charisma that demands the public pay attention to what they do and appreciate it.

So, who do you think will be the next big name in magic?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16284 Posts

Profile of tommy
Jonathan Townsend
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
It will be me. But only after I change my name to Payneshildouhbaristhanjaxistnson. Which I think is the biggest name in magic so far. At least by the number of letters.

I seriously doubt that the next big thing in magic will be a stage illusionist. I think their time has come and gone. Unless of course someone comes up with a totally new take on the box trick.

Mentalism has a shot as well as clever and unique close up. I think it needs to affect people in a personal way. Something that can be done one on one on in small intimate groups.

And yes, you're right,, no one who posts or even reads the Magic Café will be the next big name in magic. Unless of course your name is Payneshildouhbaristhanjaxistnson
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Whit Haydn? He would deserve it in my opinion and he has the management structure to back him up.
So in your psychological discards you didn't place "young"... but in your mind what does "next big name in magic in the USA" means? Is it money, fame, both at the very same time?
You may read this for help: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/200......st=faces
... but what makes it that we should care? To what effect?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6539 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Probably someone that does not go on the Café. Read all the books on his own and taken a different route on the effects. Has created a character that is different that what is being seen. Does not buy the trick of the day. Is completely involved in his vision of what he/she wants and doesn't care who is popular at the moment.

And once that person breaks out then prepare for the new wannabee's to copy that style and say that it calls to them and they always had that kind of magic in mind.

It always happens. It happened when Henning appeared and everyone suddenly looked hippie-like and did the torn and restored paper. Then Copperfield had all the Illusion clones with their Broadway show tune storylines. Then it was the Blainiacs. Ad infinitum. Ad nauseum. (sp?) It always happens and then the lemmings come out to follow the leader... and always pretending they're original.

I will be curious when it happens. I've got my fingers cross on it being an illusionist or escape artist. Man, that would be great. Suddenly the mentalism field will have lots of people jumping ship and heading towards the escape artist side. Lovely.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I second what Greg has said above. Also, though, while it's not magic per se, I think someone from the world of cardistry and flourishing could break through in a bigger way. Obviously, they are not going to be doing Copperfield-style Vegas shows, but I could see someone getting more media attention. My wife doesn't really like magic, tolerates me doing it, but she saw this link on the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/23......446.html

and emailed it to me. When I got home, she made me watch it with her. She was blown away. The same link also made it to places like Boing Boing, so it got a lot of traffic. Interestingly, while so much cardistry is about choppy, super-speed multiple-packet cuts, this guy slowed it down a lot and added more delicate and graceful moments.

Anyway, I have never seen her that enthused about a magician, which makes me think that others might feel the same way.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16284 Posts

Profile of tommy
The human being takes delight in things extraordinary. And the more extraordinary a performance of magic is the better. The magic effects would not necessarily need to be anything out of the ordinary. A chimpanzee doing a few cards tricks would be extraordinary and the human being takes delight in going to see him. Which was why Jon sprang to mind. Smile Just kidding Jon. But do you see the point? One could just be an extraordinary person to capture the imagination of public and delight them. It would help if one do extraordinary magic effects of course. A great actor could be an extraordinary character and I think the next great magician will be so with skill in performing magic effects. I can foresee him being something strange but natural someone like Charles Laughton in the The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
That clip was quite beautiful. The appeal to your wife came from the fact it was pure skill with an elegance about it. There was no wall of mystery that surrounds most magic and keeps the spectators at a distance. Add in a compelling character to that flourisher and you will have someone people will be drawn to.

Quote:
On 2009-11-29 18:38, bugjack wrote:
I second what Greg has said above. Also, though, while it's not magic per se, I think someone from the world of cardistry and flourishing could break through in a bigger way. Obviously, they are not going to be doing Copperfield-style Vegas shows, but I could see someone getting more media attention. My wife doesn't really like magic, tolerates me doing it, but she saw this link on the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/23......446.html

and emailed it to me. When I got home, she made me watch it with her. She was blown away. The same link also made it to places like Boing Boing, so it got a lot of traffic. Interestingly, while so much cardistry is about choppy, super-speed multiple-packet cuts, this guy slowed it down a lot and added more delicate and graceful moments.

Anyway, I have never seen her that enthused about a magician, which makes me think that others might feel the same way.

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 11:02pm
--------------------------------
Yes, it will be someone that is distinct. However, I do think they will have a grasp of the current trends in popular culture and art, because they are going to have to make their break at the forefront of those trends. Timing is everything for breaking through into public recognition, and without being aware of what's going on and what the media will support, it is very possible our contender will be sidetracked and miss his opportunity.

And if this person is distinct and truly captures the imagination of the masses, there will be a ton of clones. The only way this will be avoided is if the performer has a strong world view that is uniquely his own and this point of view is so thoroughly infused in his performance that it will be impossible for it to fit anyone else.

Quote:
On 2009-11-29 17:51, Greg Arce wrote:
Probably someone that does not go on the Café. Read all the books on his own and taken a different route on the effects. Has created a character that is different that what is being seen. Does not buy the trick of the day. Is completely involved in his vision of what he/she wants and doesn't care who is popular at the moment.

And once that person breaks out then prepare for the new wannabee's to copy that style and say that it calls to them and they always had that kind of magic in mind.

It always happens. It happened when Henning appeared and everyone suddenly looked hippie-like and did the torn and restored paper. Then Copperfield had all the Illusion clones with their Broadway show tune storylines. Then it was the Blainiacs. Ad infinitum. Ad nauseum. (sp?) It always happens and then the lemmings come out to follow the leader... and always pretending they're original.

I will be curious when it happens. I've got my fingers cross on it being an illusionist or escape artist. Man, that would be great. Suddenly the mentalism field will have lots of people jumping ship and heading towards the escape artist side. Lovely.

Greg
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In your criteria (which aren't mine) check the career of David Stone. He has a lot of potential to make it in your standards.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Sorry they are not your criteria.

Yes, David Stone would fit well. The French angle adds a bit of exotic-ness to him that would work in the US. And he seems to have the performance chops required. Now all that would be required is the right management to focus his personality and make him into something the media could run with(it would be great if he had a private tape of him with a super model that got out)and we would have a winner.

It might seem all vulgar and crass, but that is the way things are run behind the scenes of this business we call show.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 2:27pm
-------------------------------
Though I do feel that the next magician that will breakthrough and gain public recognition will be young, there is a slight chance it could be someone older. Dos Equis beer has been running a tongue in cheek ad campaign featuring "the most interesting man in the world". It is an older good looking man that has done everything that can be done. It would be possible that some suave mature David Berglas kind of fellow could be promoted into the fame and influence, but our popular culture is so youth driven that it make the odds very large against this.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3285 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I have yet to see a magician who truly capitalizes on such pop culture artifacts as Twitter/Facebook/Youtube or "flash-mobs" to drive their magic.

An up-and-coming or "underground" magician could make a huge impact if they could harness that sort of energy for their marketing...

Personally I find no value in it, but I certainly don't doubt it's power.

Free million dollar idea for someone. Just buy me lunch sometime!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3146 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I get the feeling that this is one of those questions that's going to get answered for us, not by us. What catches people's attention these days is so random -- somebody puts up a Youtube video of a baby laughing and a million people watch it in a week. How do we compete with that with traditional marketing?

With apologies for the corporate buzzword speak, but the last really big paradigm shift was David Blaine -- and even then it wasn't a paradigm shift, so much as great marketing combined with a tried-and-true brand of magic (close-up) involving a novel venue (on the street). It came at the right time too, right along with reality TV. The reason why it was so huge was that even though close-up was already in existence, a lot of people's perception of magic was limited to the stage, due to the influence of Doug Henning and David Copperfield's specials.

If I had to guess, I'd say that there's going to be some sort of cultural shift, and when that happens, some savvy magician is going to get on the bandwagon and attach their name to it. Criss Angel did that with the resurrection of the Emo movement (really, just an extension of mod, new wave cultural motifs), Cyril did that with the social internet communities (his videos proved very popular with mainstream community websites), and Penn and Teller did that with the rise of edgier TV (Bull**** is fits in perfectly with non-Big 4 TV programming such as what we get with Showtime and HBO). Derren Brown has been particularly successful at plugging himself into a bunch of different venues and succeeding at all of them. Others have tried applying the whole American-Idol format to magic, and for the most part, it's not really caught on.

What the next cultural shift is going to be, though, I have no idea. If there's a movement to abandon technological media for live theater, then a renaissance fair magician might be the next big thing. If people start to appreciate story-telling more, then Eugene Burger could become the next big thing. Who knows?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Jeff McBride?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9211 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-11-30 17:50, gaddy wrote:
I have yet to see a magician who truly capitalizes on such pop culture artifacts as Twitter/Facebook/Youtube or "flash-mobs" to drive their magic.

Someone will come out with a Karioke type projector that allows anyone to pretend they are doing a fantastic magical effect, or a "Café d'Magic" in which every table has a screen on which you can select your favorite dinner entertainment like a Juke Box. The star will be the magician who can project personality and mystery through a 15" window, with whispered instructions through the spectator's cellphone. Unfortunately, other forms of entertainment might be selected instead, like slap-stick comedy. Our focus should be to insure that 'magic' is even on the menu.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
This sounds like something Marco Tempest could run with. Check out his youtube videos.

Quote:
On 2009-12-01 07:12, funsway wrote:
Quote:

Someone will come out with a Karioke type projector that allows anyone to pretend they are doing a fantastic magical effect, or a "Café d'Magic" in which every table has a screen on which you can select your favorite dinner entertainment like a Juke Box. The star will be the magician who can project personality and mystery through a 15" window, with whispered instructions through the spectator's cellphone. Unfortunately, other forms of entertainment might be selected instead, like slap-stick comedy. Our focus should be to insure that 'magic' is even on the menu.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-12-01 07:12, funsway wrote:
Quote:

I like such off the beaten path ideas... even if one of the beauties of magic is that it is best served when performed "live"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5062 Posts

Profile of landmark
It'll probably be some weird type guy who can hammer a nail up his nose and eat light bulbs. But he would have to have more theatre training than a typical carny. Hey wouldn't it be great if he had Shakespearean acting training?! Nah, I guess there just ain't that type of guy out there. Oh well . . .
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Well, I could be the next big thing, but I want to perfect obscurity first.

Quote:
On 2009-12-01 19:41, landmark wrote:
It'll probably be some weird type guy who can hammer a nail up his nose and eat light bulbs. But he would have to have more theatre training than a typical carny. Hey wouldn't it be great if he had Shakespearean acting training?! Nah, I guess there just ain't that type of guy out there. Oh well . . .
Matze
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Matze
I don t have any doubt on my mind that the next "big thing" in magic is gonna be Dynamo

check out his latest showreel..he s certainly heading in the right direction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CIf8Nh3jgw
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9211 Posts

Profile of funsway
Sorry, he doesn't do a thing for me -- not even entertainment -- maybe live might help,
but I don't see myself ever being in the environs he walks.

"Direction?" shock, surprise, flourishes and bewilderment may be entertainment,
but hardly magical.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Who's Next? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL