The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Next Crisis ... Debt? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Why can’t people see that the states in the most serious and dire situations, are the one that are most leftwing and/or have the highest taxation.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 21:05, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Why can’t people see that the states in the most serious and dire situations, are the one that are most leftwing and/or have the highest taxation.

Which states would you say are those in the most serious and dire situations?

Say, the top 5 or so?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Okay, would you agree with this list of the top (worst) 10?

"Beyond California: States in Fiscal Peril"

http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/repo......id=56044
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
New York, New Jersey, California, Michigan, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, RHODE ISLAND.

I was just guessing according what I her or read without any effort. I do have to disagree with your link in that they have Oklahoma in the shade of blue next to the darkest. The job market here is good and our taxes are not too bad and most people can afford a home. In fact in Oklahoma it is still cheaper to buy a home than rent.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 21:20, Tom Bartlett wrote:
New York, New Jersey, California, Michigan,DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, RHODE ISLAND.

But California is run by a staunch Republican. Schwarzenegger endorsed Bush. Oh, I get it, because he's married to Maria Shriver and listens to her opinions before making a decision to make sure it is balanced he must be a commie. Fair enough.

I'll tell you what, graph the national deficit, with real numbers, since WWII. The line representing the deficit always, ALWAYS rises dramatically faster when a Republican is in the white house. It's a fact. It's a mathematical fact. It rose faster with Nixon, it rose faster with Reagan, it rose faster with Bush. You can look right at the graph and it's there as plain as day.
You can't whitewash it and numbers don't lie. If you don't know how to graph then ask a college math teacher to show you.
We did this in a math class and the teacher was a conservative. Awesome.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Schwarzenegger and Bush may be Republicans but they are not fiscal conservatives..
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
You didn't say fiscally liberal, you said LEFTWING. That's a political line in the sand.
Party lines blind us to reality.
Prostitutes are the answer.
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 21:20, Tom Bartlett wrote:
New York, New Jersey, California, Michigan, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, RHODE ISLAND.

So for comparison, the report I found lists the worst as being:

California, Arizona, Rhode Island, Michigan, Oregon, Nevada, Florida.

(Some of the states you listed seem to be in comparatively good position.)

I don't know how they all of those rate in terms of high / low taxation or left / right / fiscally conservative or not / politics. I don't pay that much attention to state politics.

Except, I have read that Florida is right wing and had huge property tax cuts a couple of years back, and Oregon has no State tax.

Personally, I think it is probably too simple to say that the states in trouble are left wing and / or high tax states. Look at where I live. We're far 'leftier' up here than any of your states are, spend more on social causes, yet we haven't a debt problem / financial crisis anywhere near yours.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I was including states with high unemployment. Which states that I posted are not in trouble.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I said comparatively good position, not that they weren't in trouble. Smile

According to the Pew report, New York is more or less middle of the pack.

But, yeah, I guess that's actually the only one on your list. All of the rest look bad.

Anyway, we agree that a number of states are in trouble. The question remains, how do they get out of it?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 22:06, balducci wrote:
Anyway, we agree that a number of states are in trouble. The question remains, how do they get out of it?

With pot and hookers. Question answered.
~Will Rogers
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
In tough situation people have to take a hard line and cut spending that does not directly produce debt relief.

Hire an outside professional hatchet man, cutting administrative jobs “Not the Workers” the middle management in all government agencies.

Always fire anyone that says they are doing the job of three people; it is a lie if they can do the jobs it should have never required three people to do it in the first place.

You can address three problems at once with this one: Turn of the air conditioning in all state buildings, this includes public schools. If employees complain about the unbearable working conditions solve their problem by handing them a pink slip. You save the cost the salary reduce the carbon foot print and save a huge amount of money by lowering the use of electricity.

State officials have to provide their own ground transportation and all plane fairs are coach, even for the Govenator if they want better accommodations they pay for it out of their own pocket and it will not be tax deductible expense.

In a state like California these cuts should be worth a billions every year.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4931 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's a start:
One million dollars per soldier per year x 30,000 = $30,000,000,000
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
What state has soldier costing One million dollars per soldier per year x 30,000 = $30,000,000,000?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20396 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 21:36, critter wrote:

Prostitutes are the answer.

T0 SO MANY THINGS!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4931 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 23:47, Tom Bartlett wrote:
What state has soldier costing One million dollars per soldier per year x 30,000 = $30,000,000,000?

The United States.
Federal aid to states has been severely cut in the last decade.
Military spending increases every year.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20396 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
We can have the war debate but I think it can be pretty well summed up by simply saying that the Constitution of the United States does NOT ALLOW us to be in two undeclared wars. Nuff said. Right or wrong morally agree or disagree the Congress has power to DECLARE WAR, the President wages it. Big difference and I think we need to get back on that horse.

(Sorry to anyone who thought I was only a right wing talking point, I am a VERY strict constructionist, no matter what my "feelings" on a particular issue may be.)

I think that if we did manage to get some of our elected officials to actually read the Constitution it would be a pretty good start. I think people should read it ia bit more as well.

I heard one represenative (who shall remain nameless) say that "If their side is going to declare guns a right, we should claim health care as a right". Anyone but me see a problem with that sort of logic from an elected official?

I think THAT is the largest problem we face as a nation. A complete lack of knowlege of what our government is and is not ALLOWED to do. We do not get rights from our government.

Oh we it will never happen but it would be our best way out of many of the problems we have.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 23:57, landmark wrote:
Quote:

The United States.
Federal aid to states has been severely cut in the last decade.
Military spending increases every year.
What! I can't believe you’re not in lockstep with Obama!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

That's the estimated cost of each soldier sent to Afghanistan:

"While President Obama’s decision about sending more troops to Afghanistan is primarily a military one, it also has substantial budget implications that are adding pressure to limit the commitment, senior administration officials say.

The latest internal government estimates place the cost of adding 40,000 American troops and sharply expanding the Afghan security forces, as favored by Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top American and allied commander in Afghanistan, at $40 billion to $54 billion a year, the officials said.

Even if fewer troops are sent, or their mission is modified, the rough formula used by the White House, of about $1 million per soldier a year, appears almost constant."
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-12-03 00:06, balducci wrote:
Quote:

That's the estimated cost of each soldier sent to Afghanistan:

"While President Obama’s decision about sending more troops to Afghanistan is primarily a military one, it also has substantial budget implications that are adding pressure to limit the commitment, senior administration officials say.

The latest internal government estimates place the cost of adding 40,000 American troops and sharply expanding the Afghan security forces, as favored by Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top American and allied commander in Afghanistan, at $40 billion to $54 billion a year, the officials said.

Even if fewer troops are sent, or their mission is modified, the rough formula used by the White House, of about $1 million per soldier a year, appears almost constant."
The discussion is about the individual states not the US.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Next Crisis ... Debt? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL