The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Fountain of Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
How do I get rid of the wrinkles in my fountain of silks?

Thanks,

Martini

PS I am also thinking of getting a great looking fountain - any suggestions as to
who sells an excellent version? I know Dale Salwak has a beautiful version.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
With repeated use the wrinkles become less noticeable. They become more "shimmery" kind of like diamond facets.

You may also try not leaving your fountain "together" for too long. I put mine together about an hour before a show that minimizes the wrinkling.

As for fountains I like Duane Laflins, I also saw one from Stevens Magic, but I haven't used it.

PS DO NOT iron your silks! This will cause you some real headaches!!

Mark
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is no reason not to iron real 100% pure silks. It should even improve the "spring" action for the opening of a silk fountain.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7556 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have never ironed my silk fountain in over 25 years of using it. The wrinkles do not detract to the fountain. If it is folded properly, the folds will be minimal as it is not a sharp crease. The thicker the momme of the silk the springier it will be and it will open faster. It also depends how tight you pack it.

BTW, I made Dale Salwak's silks for his fountain. There are 6 momme.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is no difference in the fiber size in 5 and 6 momme silk. At best, there is a slight difference in density which frequently is not uniform. Ironing can improve the appearance of uniformity. Extra weight as a function of pure physics will reduce the spring reaction. (Mass x Velocity = Mass x Velocity)

The hue (color) can be better with higher momme. There is simply more surface.

I do agree that wrinkles are not going to materially affect the visual of the silk fountain. Sharp creases certainly should be avoided. Pure silk fiber is very strong. Unfortunately, there are silk fountains that are not really 100% silk.

It is a beautiful effect.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3652 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Buy the silk and make your own. That way you choose the colors and the size.

Use a butterfly lining "Silk" on the inside and outside of the stack that way you can put more pressure on the outer wrap and the inner wrap around a streamer if you use one.

I use 8 momme and never iron. The silk is so beautiful its a pleasure to work with it. I think the wrinkles make it look more fluffy.

I got my Silks from Peter White at P&A Silks.

-Mary Mowder
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Thanks, this definitely helps. I love the fact that I don't have to iron the silks.

Martini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Fountain of Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL