The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » First attempts success or maybe not? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
I am going through some basis stuff learning and starting to practice. I have done a "hand stick" several times and its worked ok, but needs a little refining, but I am spotting the pointers and learning eachtime.

I also tried a trance induction on a friend (after a couple of set up exercised and also a successful "waking hand stick"). He seemed to respond, and dropped to a "sleep" when commanded and then followed simple requests like moving his hand and relaxing his arms completely. and tried to encourage him to sleep deeper and relax totally.
I then got him to wake and feel great.
Afterwards, his initial response/feedback was "that was good, but I wasnt totally relaxed and it didn't work"
Can anyone tell me.
Is this a common response because people don't really know what to expect?
Was I nowhere near my goal of a trance?

Is it harder to get people to go into hypnosis or deepen their relaxed state if they have lots of stuff "going on" in their lives. (as my freind confessed)?

Or do I just need to work harder on technique?

Cheers
Brett
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Hi, Brett.

In performance hypnosis, as opposed to hypnotherapy, the response you received can occur. In hypnotherapy it is common to eliminate misconceptions (and fears) about hypnosis before induction. Often--especially if someone has not received formal training in performance hypnosis and/or is not experienced--that doesn't occur.

As a result, the preconceptions about hypnosis that a client has--often as a result of seeing other hypnosis shows or watching silly TV shows or movies--remain.

Relaxation may (and most often does) accompany hypnosis, but it is not necessary. Your friend's expectation to feel "totally relaxed" may have actually prevented him from going deeper.

This may have also been due to the fact that the person you worked with was a friend. It is most common that friends know you as a friend and not as a hypnotist. One of their preconceptions is often that they will lose control to the hypnotist and they don't want to lose control to that joker/magician who is their friend.

The solution to this is to overcome the misconceptions your friend may have about hypnosis and stress your expertise as a hypnotists so he will be free to go deeper. Alternatively, you could work with strangers rather than friends. You wouldn't have to overcome their previous knowledge of you.

Mostly, however, I would strongly suggest more study and training (and practice) on your part. Preferably, take some in-person training. If you can't do that immediately, I would recommend (although I haven't finished it yet and will do a more in-depth review later) Ronning's Guide to Modern Stage Hypnosis followed by McGill's New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis.
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
Hi Brett!

You should probably try to do it to more than one person at the same time, just to get a general idea about differences, and because some people responds better than others.

I also think that like good magic, hypnosis involves good acting from the beginning to the end of the show, that makes it not only more believable for the audiences but more convincing for the volunteers. So maybe a short pre talk would help you.

Something that has worked for me greatly is to practice a lot! Fortunately I teach at a university so I get dozens of volunteers every time I want to practice something new, but I’m sure you have a good number of friends willing to help you. I have learnt more about hypnosis in the last six months through practice than I had before in courses and books.

Best regards,

Giovanni.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Using friends will not really help you much either.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » First attempts success or maybe not? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL