The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » See-Thru Guillotine by Wellington (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Im very interested in See-Thru Guillotine, how good is it? I haven't seen it live but the ad sounds great.
Any comment on this Illusion?

http://www.wellingtonent.com/document/seeguill.html
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I have seen it performed. It is very nice, but I feel it's one of those items made to fool magicians. The effect is no different than any other chopper.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
The workmanship is excellent on this chopper ... but the price is 3-6 times what you can get them for new! And second hand they're even cheaper.

Try this site ...

http://www.tilfordillusions.com/headChopperAd2z.html

James.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Give Bill a call at Wellington and he will send you a video of the chopper. It's probably the best chopper illusion on the market.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Sure, you can buy cheaper but not better. I have had mine for quite a while (#25 Mr. Kotkin, I believe has #26) I have tried Head Zappers, Lester Lake lite weights, hand choppers, and have only found two pieces equal to the see through if used properly.
  1. Owen's heavyweight Lester Lake with Scimitar

2. Wellington's Scimitar in classic style WITHOUT the red/black paint job
I might be convinced to sell mine or trade for one of the above as a see-thru is NOT appropriate for Renaissance Faires.

But, for the humor of a TV ad a la Ronco, WOW!!!

GC Smile
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I saw Bill selling (and performing) this several years ago at an SAM convention. The workmanship is incredible, and the clear part takes away almost every possibility of how it is done.

I love to build things, and I have always wanted to build a Lester Lake-style chopper, a la Owen. I even bought the plans from Owen, but I haven't gotten the nerve up yet to start work. Alan Zagorsky at Owen admires my desire, but I think he questions my sanity. Smile

Maybe someday.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Billy's See Thru Guillotine is a great illusion. A lot of thought went into it. It's a real fooler. The workings alone are worth the price.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
This prop is awesome. I've had mine on and off in the show for years with no problems at all. The blade comes smashing down, kids freak...it's great. The workmanship is amazing and we've had it on the road so it really works, trust me. Bill's stuff is the best!!!

Steve
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
It is a wonderful illusion and very effective. While I don't have a See Thru I've seen it performed and it is well made. The only competitor is the Owen Classic Lester Lake Chopper with the extended blade or scimitar. Smile
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
I own this prop, which, contrary to some of the posts above, is truly one of a kind. It is the only one with a virtually completely transparent stock, far more so than the Tilford model viewable above (I believe that Doug does not make this chopper any longer.). You could use this prop successfully without fully knowing how it works. And I've handled a lot of illusions, but I don't think that I've seen one with as precise and ingenious a mechanism as Bill's. Owen couldn't match the workmanship, and would charge at least twice the price. Or so I think.

Alan
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I too saw Bill demonstrating this at a convention. I took a very close look. I didn't have the budget at them time, but would have snatched it up had I had the money.
The only draw back I noted was you can not let the spectator examine the bottom edge of the blade or it will give them a good clue to the working. From a short distance this is not a problem.
The construction is top grade as expected, and the effect is truely worth the price of the illusion.
Not to many guillotine effects play as well as this one.
As for the Tilford model listed above, this is a totally different method and the cost is much less.
This is what Osborne lists in his plans as the "Easy Build Guillotine".
Also Abbotts offered the "Chinese Chopper" some time back that is just about the same. Neither is in the same class.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
I am trying to contact Wellington now for 3 weeks. The contacts via his page didn´t get an answer and my e-mail didn´t either. Do somebody know why? Don´t he want to sell his illusions?
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Sounds like a really good effect .. Does anyone have a link were I can see a picture or maybe a video of this illusion?

Thanks
David
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
@David Boyd: How about really reading this thread?
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Quote:
On 2006-12-18 02:03, David Boyd wrote:
Sounds like a really good effect .. Does anyone have a link were I can see a picture or maybe a video of this illusion?

Thanks
David

http://www.wellingtonent.com/document/seeguill.html
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Far more so than the Tilford model viewable above (I believe that Doug does not make this chopper any longer.).

As the manufacturer of the ultimate chopper, I can say that they are still being made. You can't compare the two as they are different styles. This chopper is based on the Osborne plans but is modified.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you are still having trouble getting in touch with Wellington give Bill a call at (845)429-3377. I know that Bill and I were both pretty busy finishing up props for a big New Year's Eve show.

The see through guillotine is unlike any other made.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Is there somewhere a performance video of the See-Thru Guillotine by Wellington?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Call and ask Bill.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Hmmm yes - according to his page for 25$ =(
It would be easier to see one online.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » See-Thru Guillotine by Wellington (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL