The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » A Good Cause... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Wow Jake that is so cool you are jumpin in, as with the many others here. I know the boy personally, and can attest that if he continues on the track he is currently on, he could easily be a real worker in magic at an early age. He has a special gift of being able to watch an effect and deconstruct it and turn right around and show it to you. He is like a sponge right now, and Chris has spent a great deal of time mentoring him. I will sadly admit that he has mastered far more card magic than I will ever hope to. I have given him Mark Wilson's Complete course, Royal Road Book and DVD series. As far as I know, the only cups he has are my Uday hand me downs, since I accumulated so many of Jakes cups.

I will say his mom IS very supportive of his magic, but as a single mother with very unreliable income, struggles to just meet basic needs. God bless you guys for supporting this.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3656 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hey Christopher:

When Christmas rolls around, be sure to let us know what all he got!

Jim
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I shall do exactly that!!!! Thanks Jim...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of puggo
Christopher,

I have sent a small donation. Keep up the great efforts,

Charlie
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
I posted this on another board and thought I'd add it here as well.

While this is a nice thing being done here and I hope it’s a success, I'd encourage all members of this board to also look into charities in their own back yard where there are families in the same situation.

Donate to your local food bank or check with your local Salvation Army and/or place of worship. There are families and kids who need food, clothing and the basic essentials to survive. If you don’t have the money right now to donate you can always donate your time and/or gently used clothing. And please remember there are a lot of folks who need help all year round and not just at Christmas time.

Good luck with this effort.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Thanks Charlie...I appreciate it and I know my young friend will as well!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Tom...

You're absolutly correct. I guess it's easy for us all to forget about people going thru a rough time b/c you don't actually see it going on day to day.

However, with my young friend, I am seeing how hard he has it and it breaks my heart. Poor Kid!

Thanks to everyone thus far who has donated to the cause. If you're able to send money or used Magic, that would be awesome. Financial donations may be sent to me directly via PayPal If you wish to send goods, PM me for my address.

Thanks again to all...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 14:40, Tom Dobrowolski wrote:
I posted this on another board and thought I'd add it here as well.

While this is a nice thing being done here and I hope it’s a success, I'd encourage all members of this board to also look into charities in their own back yard where there are families in the same situation.

Donate to your local food bank or check with your local Salvation Army and/or place of worship. There are families and kids who need food, clothing and the basic essentials to survive. If you don’t have the money right now to donate you can always donate your time and/or gently used clothing. And please remember there are a lot of folks who need help all year round and not just at Christmas time.

Good luck with this effort.

I would wager that many who have responded here already support many of the good causes you've mentioned.

Christopher is doing a good thing here - perhaps something that this young man he's taken such a personal interest in will remember for the rest of his life.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
For what it's worth, the kid is a kid, his identity is not being posted for his own safety and privacy. He is personally known by at least three Dallas area magi who have affirmed the legitamacy of this opportunity to be a benevelant influence in the life of a kid, who has real potential, but a rough personal circumstance. Yea he may be great someday, and he might pay it forward to someone else when he grows up.
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
I think it's incredible how quickly things on the Café spiral in directions they were never intended. I suppose that is the nature of the beast though.

Those who have been keeping an eye on this thread, can plainly see the legitimacy of Christopher's cause. I applaud his efforts. On a side note, from what I see, we are all grown men here. Let those who wish to give, give. Let those who are uncomfortable giving, not give. No one is forcing anything. If you have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion then don't say anything. People here are old enough to know what they are doing. I mean this with the most sincere respect.

Good Luck Chris! I think this is really, really great Smile Please keep us all in the know Smile
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Clean up Aisle 9. Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus!!
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
I know it has been a few days, but I saw this while skimming through. I just wanted to reiterate how awesome it is y'all are doing this for the kid, and how bad he really needs it.

Christopher, is it to be made public when he gets everything, or is that a safety concern?
Either way, I'll be there, camera in hand. ^_^
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

UPDATE:

All of the presents have been wrapped and are all ready to go! I will be meeting my young friend up at Crystals tomorrow morning (I guess that's now TODAY), about 11am. Aaron will be there to film it all as it goes down so those who participated can share in the moment!

I'll keep everyone posted!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Hey Everyone...

As many of you know, about 3 weeks ago, I posted a message asking for help to provide a deserving young Magician with a Christmas this year. The response I received from the Magic Community was nothing short of increadible!!!!

In just a 3 week time frame, I received donations (both cash donations and gently used Magic, Books, DVDs, etc.) from 57 people from the USA and around the globe.

This past Sunday, December 20th, was the day I got to play Santa Clause. Cody and his mother met me up at Crystals to watch what they thought was my final show of the year. When they arrived, they both got much more!!!!

I was able to get everything captured on film so that I could share with everyone who participated. His mother has given me permission to post this on You Tube for everyone to enjoy. The below video runs about 8 mintues:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMagicofCl......WrlUqJPc

Between myself and the 57 others who participated, $487.00 CASH was raised. That money was used to purchase Cody clothing. Everything from Casual Wear to Dress Wear, new tennis shoes, a nice pair of dress shoes, belts, white socks, dress socks, and a new suit! Cody now has a complete new wardrobe.

In addition, gift subscriptions of both Magic Magazine and The Magic Menu were also donated for Cody.

And as if all of this wasn't enough, Cody received between $1500 - $2000 worth of gently used magic from Magi all around the globe! I took great care in keeping a list of everything that he received. Below is all that was donated:

Just over 100 NEW Decks of Standard Playing Cards (Bikes, Tally's, Stud Decks, etc)
Fade in Deck - Kuniyasu Fujiwara
Cups and Ball Set
Locked Deck
Presto Printo - Daryl
Cardboard Chamelon's - Daryl
Cap in Bottle - Daryl
Escheresque JUMBO - Daryl
Masuda's Two Card Mystery
Masuda's WOW!
Michael Ammar Coin Clip
Diminishing Returns - Mike Powers
Spoon Bend - Barry Price
Web - John Kennedy
Jumpy Card from Matchbox - Barry Price
Close Up Ring & Rope - El Duco
Pom Pom Pole
Color Changing Wand
Svengali Deck
Color Changing Streamer
Star of the Show - David Ginn
Top Hat
Michael Baker Lecture Notes
The Famouse 5 Card Trick - Michael Baker
Cash Paddle - Michael Baker
The Last Adventures of Diamond Jack - Michael Baker
Anniversary Waltz
Jumbo 3 Card Monte'
Win the Crowd - Steve Cohen
Egg Bag
Reel Magic - January 08' - Sankey
The Band Shark DVD - Dan Harlan
The Kids Birthday Party Show DVD - Dan Harlan
Sal Piacente DVD - Street Monte' 3 Shell Game
Street Magic Magazine - October/November 07' - March/April 07' - June/July 07'
Coin Vanish by Dan Watkins Vol. 1
Gaeton Bloom Lecture Notes
Miracle Signed Bill in Borrowed Cigar - Robert Olsons
The Pheonix - 51 - 100
The Secrets of Brother John Hamman - Richard Kaufman
Coin Magic - Richard Kaufman
Jennings 67' - Richard Kaufman
Mastering the Art of Magic (Eugene Burger) - Richard Kaufman
Flatland Fever - Tom Stone
Genii Presents - Jim Steinmeyer DVD - Palingenesia
Fantasma Magic - John Ramsay DVD
Franz Harary DVD - Wonder by Design
3 Collected Words of Jerry Hartman
Two Second Deals
Borrowed Bill Routine - John Cornelious
Mystification - Richard Bartram Jr.
Linking Ring - Vol 51. No. 1, May 71'
Linking Ring - Vol. 51 No. 5, Jan 71'
Feel a Color - Bob King
Drunken Black Jack - Bob King
Entourage
Tasty Twister
Rainbow Twist
All the Same
Chamelon Cards
Enigma Card - Bob Solari
Flip Flop Cards
Wild Card
Printing on Demand - David Solomon
Quarter Warp - Bob Solari
Four Flusher - David Solomon
Domesticated Wild Card - Bob King
Dough - Jay Sankey
Quick Note Transportation
Salt Pour
Hot Rod
Haunted Matchbook
Ball Vase
3 Shell Game - Vernet
Color Deviation Rods
Several 24" Silks and other assorted sizes and colors
Okito Box
Boston Box
Phantoma
Reputation Makers - Harry Lorayne
Steve Dushek Magic Series No. 1
Card College #1
About a millon yards of Invisible Thread
Shamrock Cup
An Assortment of Trick Decks of Cards (Invisible, Brainwave, etc.)
The Mummy Mystery
Several Close Up Mats
Fadeaway Case - Tenyo
Multiplying Golf Balls
Chop Cup Set
Several Magic Wands (Plastic, Wood, Metal)
Magicians Magic by Paul Curry
Spooky Tricks
101 Best Magic Tricks by Guy Fredrick
The Real Book About Magic - Joseph Leeming
Merlins Catalog of Magic
Magic Digest - Fun Magic for Everyone - George B. Anderson
Dunningers Complete Encyclopedia of Magic
Silk Caddy
Square Circle
Bunny Box
Jeff McBride Lecture Notes
The Trilogy - Dan and Dave Buck
Daryl - Ency. of Card Vol. 1-8
Art of Card Manipulation - Jeff McBride Vol. 1-3
McBride on Stage Vol. 1-3
Easy to Master Card Miracles - The Complete Set - Michael Ammar
Easy to Master Thread Miracles - The Complete Set - Michael Ammar
The Worlds Greatest Magic Chop Cup
Joshua Jay - Talk About Tricks
Joshua Jay - Close Up Up Close Complete Set
Bill Malone - On the Loose - The Complete Set
Bill Malone - Here I Go Again - The Complete Set
Michael Finney - The Complete Set

But wait...there's more!

The Owner of Crystals provided Cody and his mother a free pass to come in at eat for free for the rest of their lives or for the life of the restaurant...whichever comes first. He also gave Cody a brand new twin bed (headboard, footboard, and matress).

This whole thing was a last ditch effort to try and provide a Merry Christmas to this young man and the reponse I received was completely overwhelming. Thank you all so very much for your assistance...I couldn't have pulled this off without your help.

To the very few who slammed me and accused me of trying to scam you and the rest of the Magic Community, I hope that you can now see that my intentions were 101% completely sincere.

This was just one kid out of the millons who go without every year. It impossible to help them all, but I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping me to help one.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Wow. That is amazing. I really wish I had known about this. Good work. I can not put into words how fantastic this is.

As always,
Dylan
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
164 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Wow, just stumbled onto this thread. Absolutely AMAZING. Kudos!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I was wondering how he is doing?

Mike
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I just saw the clip, and what I really want to say is...

Christopher Lyle, you sir...

Are a good man.

Thank you for making me still believe in the goodness that can be found on THIS FORUM.

Inspired.

May your days be filled with joy and happiness.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Cody is doing well...

He and his mother have been in a stable situation now since Christmas which is a good thing since they bounced around all over the place for a while. Money is still very tight for them but they seem to be making the best of it and in fact are in a better place than they were at the end of the year.

Thanks again for helping me to make this kids Christmas a reality! I couldn't have done it alone!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » A Good Cause... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL