The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My 1st Show... Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I am an amateur and I mostly perform for friends and family, but I have never really set up an actual show. I have been asked to perform for friends at a party… (Living room so close-up and parlor) and I need to fill 30 to 45 minutes.

I would like to open with Linking Rings (Ninja routine) and close with Cups & Balls (Variation of Vernon's). Somewhere in the middle I want to do sponge balls (Daryl's from WGM).

Here are the other tricks I can pick from to fill out the show: Silk -to-Egg, Mongolian Pop-knot , Newspaper Tear (Gene Anderson), Rising Cards (Don Alan routine), In-A-Flash (Jay Sanke), Chicago Surprise (Whit Haydn), Twisted Sisters, NFW, Color Monte, Cigarette Thru Quarter, and Mismade flag.

I would appreciate any pointers or advice anyone can give me on how many of these would be enough to fill my time, which tricks to pick to do, and how to pick what order to do the tricks I pick...

Thanks,

Bill
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Choose some of the ones you really want to do, then blend the whole thing together into an Act. Make it flow from one effect into another, add in all the jokes, etc. Then, time yourself, and see where you are at.
That is my short answer.
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-12-03 13:24, David W wrote:
Choose some of the ones you really want to do, then blend the whole thing together into an Act. Make it flow from one effect into another, add in all the jokes, etc. Then, time yourself, and see where you are at.
That is my short answer.

right... well this is kinda what I need help doing too... I haven't yet progressed from the "for my next trick I will do..." routining either. Don't get me wrong, I am not asking someone to script an act for me, but to give me some sources of help. I have a pretty good library (Tarbell, Mark Wilson, royal road, etc.) Like I said, this the first time I have ever tried to put together a show. Usually I just show one or two effects to someone when asked.

Posted: Dec 3, 2009 1:43pm
Oh BTW... I listed all the trick I really want to do Smile (I got a ton of material to choose from) but I know I can't stand up there all night doing a 3 or four hour show! I got 30mins minimum or 45 minutes maximum time... If I go under 30 then I don't feel I have done enough... If I go too far over the maximum then I know I will get the hook!

"What of that list would go together with what I want to open and close with?" "What tricks should be avoided if do x trick or y trick?" type advice is all appreciated.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Some random tips:
1) Open with something quick and visual.
2) Stick the cups and balls somewhere in the middle. Despite what some people think, this is one of the hardest things to get right. Make sure you practice it and tell a story with the effect.
3) End with something you can't make any better. The best trick you can do. Visual, impossible. (What do you think would be your best closer?)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
This won't be much help but go for 30 min (people will get restless in a party setting sitting or standing in one place ) in fact if every one is watching at once I'd go shorter, 15 or 20 min and do some of your Close-Up around the party later.

I'd skip Mismade Flag. It's great seasonally and you may want to do it another time.

I don't know you so I can't be sure but most people I see doing Cups and Balls who are not pro. (& some who are) are flashing whenever party type angles are involved people don't sit or stand where you'd like and unless your audience management skills are great some will try to flank you. I'd skip the Cups and balls and end with Newspaper Tear.

You'll still have to ask the host to help control where people sit or stand. You'll have to know what angles you need to direct them. Ask your family or use mirrors (and don't cheat) to check your angles.

Sounds like some fun material.

-Mary Mowder
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Hi Bill,

Open with your rope, do silk to egg, C&B's, close with newspaper tear.
Time that and see where you are at.
Being amateur you probably pace too fast.
If so and anyway, slow down, have fun, let everybody have time to have fun.
If you are still short on time and feel the need to fill it insert Chicago Surprise at the beginning and follow with the rest in order. If you get any groans when you whip a deck out to start tell them that by law every magic performance must have at least one card trick and you just want to get it out of the way. Blow them away with C.S. and your prestige level and acceptance stage will be set. On second thought tell 'em that anyway.
You know why don't act naive.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
I also think the newspaper could be a great closer. The key with the closer in my opinion is to milk it in terms of the reaction. You can do it funny, serious, whatever, but make sure you emphasize the impossibility of what you are about to do before you do it to make sure you get as big an applause as possible.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I think that since we really don't know the type of presentation you are using for each routine it is hard to say, "this trick should come first (or second etc.)."
The thing is, everyone is different. It comes down to presentation. There are routines that some pros effectively open with, that others use as their closer and can't imagine it anywhere else in their show. There are routines that some think of as being a gag while for others, it is a reputation maker. Being able to see you perform your material would be optimal but lets see what we can do without being there.

It would be really helpful if we could know a little bit more about the presentation of each trick:
Are you using music for any routines? What type of music?
What is the general presentation of each routine? Is it a story, a puzzle etc.?
What routines do you feel most comfortable with?
What routines involve spectators?
Which routines if any are comedic and which are more serious?
Why do you want to open with the rings and close with the cups and balls?

Also regarding the performance venue:
How big is the audience?
How much control will you have over angles?
I take it that you will have a table in front of you?
Can that table be moved to the side and back easily?

I recommend Quentin Reynolds' Perform Like a Pro DVD. It is a DVD of a lecture he gave at the World Magic Seminar. He talks about routineing and some other things to strengthen your performance.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-12-03 20:50, Jeremy L. wrote:
It would be really helpful if we could know a little bit more about the presentation of each trick:
Are you using music for any routines? What type of music?

I won't be using music...

Quote:
What is the general presentation of each routine? Is it a story, a puzzle etc.?

The patter for each routine usually if a marketed trick is the included patter at this point. Otherwise I might jabber some foldral about the rings or cups as I go through the routine.
Quote:
What routines do you feel most comfortable with?
Rings, Cups, and sponges are what I practice on a daily basis. I work with cards some but I am just not a big card guy. I know a couple of tricks with straight cards so I can perform with a borrowed deck. I do ACR but it isn't my personal favorite, so I usually don't do that.

Quote:
What routines involve spectators?

I hate sponges but everyone seems to LOVE them. it is one my most requested tricks.

Quote:
Which routines if any are comedic and which are more serious?

Sponges are fun and comedic. Most people laugh at the BS explanations during cups & balls. always get a gasp when the fruit is revealed.

Quote:
Why do you want to open with the rings and close with the cups and balls?

I love these tricks... I do them both every day. when ever someone comes to visit I always get asked to do them along with sponges. I think the rings and cups are my two best tricks so wanted to open and close using them... I thought cups would be a pretty good closer.

Quote:
Also regarding the performance venue:
How big is the audience?

Probably a dozen or so folks...
Quote:
How much control will you have over angles?

We will be in a large living room... If I have my druthers... I will be in the corner facing the audience

Quote:
I take it that you will have a table in front of you?
Can that table be moved to the side and back easily?

I have a table I made using plans from Mark Wilson. I will also have a smaller TV tray nearby be side it with my close-up case for bringing out items and ditching them when done.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I think hands down you have already decided in your mind that you going to do
: sponge, rings, and cups and balls.

I believe this is good set to do.
Sponge are always crowd pleasers and is strong comercial magic. Establishes that
you will be doing some magic...

The Ninja Rings, leaves a bit to be desired unless your Shoot Agawa, but you
may be very good at this...I don't know. But this would be a good middle
piece since it will bring down the high from the sponge act.

The Cups and Balls is always a crowd pleaser too, assuming you do it well and
have a good presentation.

For me your act should at least be interactive, don't just stand up there and
do the "look at me" show. Its ok, but better if its interactive.

I would use the torn and restored paper as a running gag and something to lead
from one set to another.

Hope this helps...let us know what you finally decide and how it goes...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 10:34, solrak29 wrote:
I think hands down you have already decided in your mind that you going to do
: sponge, rings, and cups and balls.

Yes I have pretty much decided on those tricks I wanted to pick my one or two more from my list to fill out the act with out going too short or too long.

Quote:
I believe this is good set to do.
Sponge are always crowd pleasers and is strong comercial magic. Establishes that
you will be doing some magic...

I do Daryl's routine which is pretty short, but using it as an opener makes sense.

Quote:
The Ninja Rings, leaves a bit to be desired unless your Shoot Agawa, but you
may be very good at this...I don't know. But this would be a good middle
piece since it will bring down the high from the sponge act.

I do pretty well with this... I can get a one handed link about 50% of the time.

Quote:
The Cups and Balls is always a crowd pleaser too, assuming you do it well and
have a good presentation.

I use a five phase routine using my own combo of Vernon's and Ammar's routines. I end with a production of fruit (lemon, lime, tomato, and potato) I won my local IBM ring's amateur competition with it in 2007.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far, from everyone. Keep them coming!

Right now I am looking at opening with sponge balls and closing with either newspaper tear or sucker silk to egg. Rings and cups in the middle... I thought I ought to at least do one card trick... (it's expected I think)... I am still thinking this out as I have until Jan 1st to sort this out.
Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
184 Posts

Profile of Danik1
I think your list has to many effects for 30 minutes, 45 max. With the routines and everything, you'll probably bust your time. Keep the list to the ones you know you'll have no problems with. I'm saying that because you'll be a little bit more nervous than usual even if you don't think so.

I think you better perform 4-5 effects you know you'll perform well and just do 15 or 20 minutes than to perform 10-12 effects you might not get right just to do 30-45 minutes.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I like what you have chosen and its great you know a list of what your good at and what works for you. Linking rings, Sponge balls, newspaper then cups and balls. I would try to keep it down to 20-25 minutes. You could link them as tricks you saw magicians do as a kid and the classics of magic.

I would keep it to 3 effects. Linking rings, Sponge balls, then cups and balls. I would change the sponge balls for sponge bunnies as you don't want a lot of ball tricks also use a female for sponge bunnies they love it. Now and then its worth having something to entain people before the show. I once did a show at a Aunties house crowd all gathered waiting for me to start but my Auntie wanted me to wait because my uncle was getting a drink and someone was in the loo. So lucky for me I had the silk vanish on me did it twice then vanished a cigarette. That helped a lot . I would also have a close up walk round set ready to in you pocket.

Now for something else you dint ask for. I would do linking rings followed by sponge balls(bunnies) then finish with newspaper tear. You could put the pop knot in as well before the last trick. This is the type of routine I like as it needs no table I would have it all ready in a small case then grab two chairs as my show space which would hold my case and be used by me and vol in sponge bunnies then stand on them for paper tear.

Also for a close up routine what about do a ACR with a signed card, then borrow a Quarter put a cigarette throw it get the Quarter signed then get the cards out and used the card from the first trick and the coin to do in a flash. It would work well if a vol smoked the cigarette so you could use it to light the paper. This is an idea that as just jumped at me see if it will work and look right there is a lot there.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Opening with the rings and closing with the cubs and balls sounds fine since they sound like your two strongest routines. This puts the sponges in the middle.
How long do those three routines run?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the Ninja Ring routine uses the table. This means you would start and end with the table. It would be illogical and likely awkward to move the table for one (or even a couple) routine(s). Thus, I would rule out Mongolian Pop-knot and the Newspaper Tear since the staging would be awkward with a table in front of you and from the situation you described I doubt there will be room in front of the table to stand. Mis-made flag might be ruled out depending your blocking for the routine.

If you were to add a fourth routine, I would probably chose Color Monte for its story type presentation, but it's more important that you chose a routine you are comfortable with. I would recommend sticking it between sponge balls and cups and balls. This would help avoid the question as to why you are not using the sponge balls with the cups.

Here is a great post on routining a show for any venue from Brad Burt.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Brad's thread is a good one. He talks about choosing a routine to suit the venue.

Here we have two possible venues: close up/walkaround and parlor/small stage show. Don't confuse them. You really can't do color monte for a whole room. You may want to have a "show" planned with the tricks that play well to a crowd who may be at a little distance from you, and then be flexible enough to have the close up stuff at hand in the event that the mood of the event dictates either some close up/walkaround before or after the show, or replaces the whole idea of the show.

The interesting thing about close up/walkaround for a group is that you can do the same stuff over and over for different pockets of the crowd, if there are enough people in the room so there are no repeats.

Do what you love, know like the back of your hand, and can do without thinking too much or becoming nervous. Enjoy the interaction with the audience and don't pick tricks that are so technical that you may become nervous due to the complexity of the manipulation.

Start with a bang. Involve the audience and have fun with the group, and end on a high note.

Remember, it's your first show of this type. If you don't enjoy it you might not be inclined to do it again.

:magicrabbit:
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
I didn't read the other posts, just the first by misterbill

Your question shows you are not ready (who is your character, why are they doing these things, what is the motivation? Discussing that could go on for hours) but you have to start somewhere so and you've found a place to be bad (don't be insulted, we've all walked that road)

Rings is not an opener, too long to develop among many other things. Rings can be closer if you have a knock them off their feet piece or it could be your pre-closer and follow with C & B (yes you can close with C & B if it's strong enough)

Silk to Egg could be your opener if you can be funny (see Whit Haydn's work on this), Newspaper Tear could follow it up well if you found a good bridge between the effects (I lost my job picking eggs after that mishap so I was looking at the help wanted ads, ... or what ever you come up with, something better that I hopefully)

You then have the audience on your side and laughing and amazed. Build on the momentum you have,

Make sure what you do is an act, have a reason for the flow of one effect to another. Don't do a bunch of disjointed tricks one after another

and always remember FREE ADVICE IS USUALLY WORTH EVERY CENT YOU PAY FOR IT!
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hey misterbill,

I did not catch when the show would be.

Please let us know how it goes.

-Mary Mowder
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I believe he said January 1st but there is a good chance I'm wrong.

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with pradell, I think that for the "dozen or so folks" Color Monte should play fine in the formal close-up like setting you are describing.

Vick brings up a good point, that many ring routines don't unfold at a pace usually desired in an opener. I am unfortunately not familiar with the Ninja routine and presentation so I cannot make a recommendation either way. That being said, in general I would chose rings over sponges as an opener, but it really depends on the specific routines and presentations being used.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I do the short version (no linking in spec's hands) the routine is fairly quick and very visual, which is why I wanted to open with it. There are some phases (spin link, chain unlink, and table link) which require a table, and I will be using a small stand during these phases. Ninja routine: False count (odin count) show all four rings seperate. Spin link. Tap link. Two blocked links and three rings are on one. Rings become chain, Bottom ring removed and linked to top. Chain unlink on table. Table link. Two and two split. One double on arm other double unlinked. silent link. Arm link. One handed blocked link (yes, I do this one about 95% on the first try!). Finale Chain is unlinked one ring at time showing four separate rings. Video of Shoot Ogawa performing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71IfyxNDof0

Daryl's sponge routine as taught on World's Greatest Magic uses a spectator. It is also, in my opinion, quick and to the point. I will describe- Sponge is produced from purse frame. Spnge is "sawed" in two to become two sponges... One sponge is vanished and torn in to two sponges. Comedy transposition when sponge in spec's hand changes places with sponge in performer's hand. Finally sponge in performer's hand travels to spec's hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJ7alclymg (Daryl is the first performer and it shows the opening about 32 or 33 seconds)

My cup routine (I use a wand): 1.Appearance of balls. 2. Solid Through solid. 3. Three balls gather on top of one cup. 4. Three ball gather under one cup & Two - One - Two. 5. Vanished balls, reappear under cups. Balls placed in pocket return to cups. Final appearance of fruit (Lemon, tomato, lime, Potato).

Danik1: I don't really want to do everything I listed in the first post, I want to add one or two from the list to the above routines (rings, sponges, cups) to fill out the show.

Mary Mowder: I will be performing at a New Year's eve party... Hopefully before everyone becomes drunk! LOL!

I wanted to do a traditional magic show (this is my theme) so I opted with the these choices.

Open with rings, (trick from list), Sponges, (trick from list), Cups. Or just do three routines and be done? Will that be enough time? I need to time myself. and work on some segue material.

I am thinking least one card trick as I thought it would be expected. Does it matter if I do packet trick or should I use a trick that uses the whole deck?

I want to do a rope trick as I am thinking that rope magic is expected as well. Mongolian Pop-knot or just Professor's Nightmare? The Pop-knot is a complete routine and has some good jokes in it and it long. so I am going to put it next to last if I use it.

Ok how does this sound: Open with Rings, Card trick(Whole deck or packet?), Sponge Balls, Rope trick (Pop-knot or just Nightmare?), End with Cups?
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
I am thinking least one card trick as I thought it would be expected. Does it matter if I do packet trick or should I use a trick that uses the whole deck?

Funny that you should mention this; I remember Micheal Ammar saying this which
is why you should do some "pick a card" type of effect. I agree with this
and think that you should go with something the uses a deck.

I think you have nice set just curious on how your presentation will go.

Plus seeing Shoot perform the Ninja rings is always great...thanks for posting
that link...great reminder to bust out those rings and get to that level.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My 1st Show... Help! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL