The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Omni deck use (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KingJeux
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of KingJeux
I posted this somewhere else, but I think this might go good here too..

Hey so this is something that I feel has potential but can't seem to come up with a good use for it. I'm thinking of something like switching it in after they've shuffled the cards (as they are showing their chosen card around). I would have one card on the bottom of it and a few on the top to simulate a deck with some overhand shuffling. I was then thinking about pretending to be wrong a few times before giving it to them to hold (at this point just being the deck and their card on top)... looking around flustered then making some comment about them being able to 'see through' the magic and opening it to find the deck is glass except for their card?

This might work but I havent tested it out much. Any other ideas?
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Bill Abbott has a GREAT routine in his book:
http://www.shopmagicvault.com/Cocktail-C......785.html

its called ctrl alt del.

I don't see any video showing the performance on you tube - but Bill did this at his lecture and its STRONG!

If you get a chance to get that book - its worth every penny.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Hybrid Hunter
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Hybrid Hunter
James Brown has a nice effect using the omni deck in his Professional Opportunist DVD series which recently came out.

Has the spectator pick a card, hold the deck between their hands and visualise seeing through the deck to see their card. Open their hands and they see through the deck with their selection staring right back at them.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Martin Saunderson has a good routine for the omni deck on his DVD set

Also I have been told that Bill Abbott's book Cocktail Magic is available to buy as a download. Is this true? If so does anyone know where it can be purchased?
magic_man_ace
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of magic_man_ace
James Brown's stuff is always awesome.

truesoldier, where can the Martin Saunderson DVD set be found?
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.” - Tom Robbins

"One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” - Robert A. Heinlein
Laurent A
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Laurent A
I've been using omnideck as a closer of the card part of my close-up show for years.
It's really a killer effect
Laurent A
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Laurent A
Spectator stay speechless
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
I always use it in my standard Card to Mouth routine which is one of the most popular uses for this thing. Bring it into play under strong misdirection and you will fry people... period.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
andrewph
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of andrewph
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 07:02, Hybrid Hunter wrote:
James Brown has a nice effect using the omni deck in his Professional Opportunist DVD series which recently came out.

Has the spectator pick a card, hold the deck between their hands and visualise seeing through the deck to see their card. Open their hands and they see through the deck with their selection staring right back at them.

I think what makes his trick good is the reveal. You first see the spectator's reaction and their face trying to figure out what is this thing. Then you let the others see what the the spectator is seeing.
Silvio
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Silvio
Omni Deck is one of the most memorable items in my performance. I believe that the climax and many will agree, that the spectator holding the cards and feeling them vanish to a clear block is unbeatable.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
I always thought the original idea behind the Omni deck was better. Switch in a regular deck of cards that has all of the cards glued together after your ambitious card routine.

Have fun!

John
Nothing is better than more.
Chakkan
View Profile
New user
France
26 Posts

Profile of Chakkan
Is this "Solid deception" ?

You always get the audience think that you could have glued the cards during the performance...
Why offer them that doubt ?
With a transparent deck, they can't find an answer, and that's what I want.
cinful823
View Profile
New user
England, UK
76 Posts

Profile of cinful823
I also use it as the kicker ending for my ACR, it kills!!!
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
How do you guys keep your Omni deck from scratches? I've had three.. after a while, they just look horrible..
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I may have imagined this but doesn't someone offer a more scratch resistant version? I've got shawn Farquhar in my head but could be wrong.

I keep mine in the box it came in and keep it in it's own pocket when I perform. At least a year old and hundreds of performances, still looking good. In terms of routines, matthew wright uses this in his calzaghe opener which is quite nice.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
I find the babe can be easily scratched too. I do switches between pockets and different routines before I get to my omni deck.. I suppose that's why.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Shawn Farquhar is the guy who makes scratch proof omni decks - he sells them from his site.
iammagus
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of iammagus
I've got omni deck and never used it. Think mine might have a fault as it's a fraction thinner than a card which to me is noticable. Perhaps too fussy !! Think I'll give it a bash tonight.
Ben Morris-Rains
View Profile
Regular user
Larkspur, Colorado
111 Posts

Profile of Ben Morris-Rains
I have one of Farquhar's and while it stayed pretty scratch resistant, it isn't resistant to Dog bite marks. Haha. Add's character I guess.
PUNCTURE: Pen Through Bill
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2010-11-26 12:32, iammagus wrote:
I've got omni deck and never used it. Think mine might have a fault as it's a fraction thinner than a card which to me is noticable. Perhaps too fussy !! Think I'll give it a bash tonight.

As far as I am aware all new Omni decks are now made like this. They used to be the same size as a card but it made lifting the top card hard. Now they have fractionaly reduced the size so it is easy to pick up the card.
No one will ever notice the size discrepancy, honest!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Omni deck use (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL