The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Elias_Wolf
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Elias_Wolf
Hi everybody, I waited now nearly two months for the Phoenix Decks and finally got them today.

I only took Presale Set 1 with four decks as I was unsure what kind of deck I really would get. Wow, it was worth the waiting!

Usually I use two Jokers and was a little bit disappointed only getting one per deck. But I ordered more than one pack, so I have my double jokers. The new aces Christian created are beautiful. Perfect for "Four Ace" tricks. I would suggest dropping the standard aces in the future, what do you think?

This new deck is everything modern magicians need. An integrated deck to be used for close-up and stage work with a beautiful design more fitting for a magic showing than standard decks. I am so happy with the Phoenix deck that I hope magicians get behind CARD-SHARK and support this new deck so that it will always be available.

I would be interested in your opinions, will this Phoenix Deck have a successful future?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5434 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I just received mine this afternoon. I haven't had much time to play with them, but so far I like what I see. I, too, prefer two jokers, but having multiple decks solves that issue, and I particularly like the idea of additional aces versus the standard ad cards. Great deal in that Christian has included a sampler set of gaff cards with each order. I had hoped for gaffs that are a bit more unique (perhaps showcasing the fact that altered back designs are no longer an issue), but I am grateful for the free gaff set, nonetheless.

The cards handle nicely, reminding me of the Bicycle Masters, and they handle even better after buffing (nod to Mr. Youell).

Kudos to you, Christian! Nice deck!!
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
778 Posts

Profile of dduane
Hi,

I received mine today, and I agree with Magiguy and Alias_Wolf. I got the 12 pack with the gaffs and the ultimate Monte. Well worth the price. These cards are more 'silky' feeling than the standard Bicycles. They do handle a little differently in that they slip more, but I'm sure it's a matter of getting used to them. My only question is how well they will hold up with use and wear. If they can take some use, then they have my vote. Nice cards, Christian!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2190 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I also received mine today. 6/6 red/blue split, along with gaffs. I like the design of the cards. I applaud Christian for trying something different with the aces, but they don't particularly suit me. I'd rather have a pair of identical jokers, but I'm sure there are those who'd disagree with me.

The Joker is a little bit "cartoony" to me, it might be nice to have a more realistic and/or sinister-looking Phoenix on the Joker.

But overall, I really like the cards. They have a nice feel, and the design of the box and backs is reminiscent of other standard USPC decks. They feel slightly different than regular Bikes to me, but are pretty similar.

The included gaffs for Skinner Monte, Blank facers, blank backers, double backers, etc, were all quite nice.

Overall, I'm digging the deck. Congrats to Christian on successfully releasing his first USPC deck! It's quite a large undertaking just to run a deck, let alone a deck in red and blue, with gaffs to match.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Mine were in the mailbox when I got home this evening, so I haven't had a chance to play with them very much. I also just got the introductory set, 4 decks with introductory gaffs.

They seem quite nice. They feel like regular Bikes to me (which, to me, is a good thing. I prefer Bikes and Tally Hos to any others) but my hands get really dry and beat-up at this time of year, so that may be why I can't feel subtle differences. They are cut the opposite way from regular Bikes, which I discovered when I Faroed them. I normally Faro by arching the cards down, so the weave starts from the top of the deck. I had to arch these up so the weave would start from the bottom up. This is not a problem, it just means a bit of practice will be needed, as I am a bit rusty at the technique.

It took me a few minutes to find the one-way back design, which is very subtle. The good news is that no layman is going to spot this. Ever. The bad news is that it's a bit hard for me to spot "on the fly", but perhaps with time and practice this will come easier. (This same good news/bad news comment also goes for the reader backs on the Heirloom and Gypsy decks, very clever and subtle, but a bit hard for me to read quickly. I always preferred the Ted Lesley system, but again, drill and practice may be the answer)

I haven't made up my mind about the big ace/small ace thing. I'd almost rather have a single set of aces, two identical jokers, and two blank face cards, like the Vintage "New Fan Back" deck. This is just a quibble, not a big deal.

One point that is a bit more of a problem for me:
I do wish the deck came in traditional new-deck order, as I do a couple of routines that start out with Faroes from New Deck order, as well as Darwin Ortiz' "Si Stebbins Secret". None of these will work with the new-deck order used in the Phoenix.

I don't have any particular problem with the joker design, and if I want duplicate jokers I don't mind raiding another deck. One B/W and one color joker would be nice, this always makes for a pretty color change, but again I quibble.

Altogether, I believe Christian et al have done a terrific job with these. The only thing I was disappointed about was that since these were shipped from the US instead of Germany, no Gummi Bears!

Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Seems like there's quite a bit of dissent about the single joker issue. The very reason I'm not getting them. But an excellent marketting ploy by Christian to ensure you buy two packs instead of one!
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Hi everybody,

I am carefully reading this thread as I will have to do a reprint soon. With the new run I will discard the three extra aces and will add at least one more Joker.

For me it was important to see (and to have an option) if the new Phoenix Aces would be accepted or not. I can say that only a VERY small percentage do not like the Aces. Most magicians specially want to move over to Phoenixes BECAUSE of the Aces. So I really could imagine that I will delete the last three positions and will add a second Joker. More opinions welcome.

Now the interesting question: what kind of Joker? I had the idea of adding a Joker that looks in the oposite direction / would be mirrored. This would look pretty nice when doing a sandwich routine as both Jokers would look to the card in the center or would look away if spread the other way.

In greyscale it does not look so good as the flames need the colors to be recognized. But I could imagine writing the Joker in black instead in red.

Oh, and I will take care of the gummybears as adding these to each shipment is something that everybody already knows and likes... Smile
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
778 Posts

Profile of dduane
Card-Shark,
Is it just me -- or do these seem lighter/thinner than Bikes? Have they been stress tested? Just wondering how they stand up to use.

Liking them,
Duane
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
We all have to find out how they perform under stress. They are brandnew, it is Bicycle stock but I also have the impression that they are a little bit slippier compared to Bikes.

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome of my first project with US Playing Cards, but in the background I had a million problems with them. Would be enough to talk about if we would have a drink somewhere...

Their customer service is terrible, I am used to other service qualities here...

Chinese Proverb
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Christian,
As I said, I am of two minds about the Aces. I love the way they look, but the "small" aces match the standard MacDonald ace gaffs. Of course, as long as you will be offering the MacD gaffs in a "large Ace" version for a reasonable price, this would be a non-issue. Also, I guess there's no law saying that starting to use these card means I have to entirely abandon Bikes or Tallys anyway. Smile
I also like the fact that these cards provide another nice back pattern to use with the various Bannon routines that require multiple back patterns.
Don

Quote:
On 2009-12-04 03:54, Card-Shark wrote:

Now the interesting question: what kind of Joker? I had the idea of adding a Joker that looks in the opposite direction / would be mirrored. This would look pretty nice when doing a sandwich routine as both Jokers would look to the card in the center or would look away if spread the other way.

This is a nice idea, I have always liked using the "One-eyed Jacks" for these tricks for that exact reason. Also, this might make for a nice color change also.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Hey guys go to the Magical Accessories forum to see my Review...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#0

Cardamagically,
DOM Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
778 Posts

Profile of dduane
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 09:32, Card-Shark wrote:
We all have to find out how they perform under stress. They are brandnew, it is Bicycle stock but I also have the impression that they are a little bit slippier compared to Bikes.

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome of my first project with US Playing Cards, but in the background I had a million problems with them. Would be enough to talk about if we would have a drink somewhere...

Their customer service is terrible, I am used to other service qualities here...

Thanks, Card-Shark. I like the new feel. Holding doubles takes a little more care at first, since they do slip somewhat more easily. That could be an advantage in other moves and with R&S too, so I look forward to working with them.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 09:08, dduane wrote:
Card-Shark,
Is it just me -- or do these seem lighter/thinner than Bikes? Have they been stress tested? Just wondering how they stand up to use.

Liking them,
Duane
I miked the cards yesterday and they are .011" thick...this is what standard Bikes mike out at BTW (I have a Mitutoyo caliper LCD readout).

They fit in my Porper w/out the extra Aces but a little tight w/ the extra Aces added...

Cardamagically,
DOM Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
I absolutely love them! I think for the price they're the best buy when it comes to the custom decks out on the market. Overall with my first purchase from Card-Shark has been fantatsic and I will be back to buy some more.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think Christian has done a fine job with these. If I had any significant problems with the deck order, I would simply remove the deck from the case, make the adjustment, remove the extra aces, put in a joker from another pack, then reseal the case.

I like the options he has given us.

But I do miss the gummi bears!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Christian - Identical jokers please, please, please. Nothing else works for me (for what its worth.)
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
656 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I like the aces, but I also miss an extra joker. And I think a joker should look like a joker: a clownesque figure, a jester, a trickster. Till Eulenspiegel for instance would be great. Although Eulenspiegel is not a phoenix, because he never died.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
With Steamboats the Joker is a boat, with Studs it´s a horse. Even with Bicycles it is not a jester but a King on a bike. If this is not somehow comic then I don´t know.

I have to do a reprint immediately as the standard decks are running out fast. Never expected THAT demand. To speed up and to give you all time to play around with the aces and its possibilities I will not change the available cards now.

About identical Jokers: identical is always easy if you take out similar Jokers from two decks. But it will be absolutely impossible to get an alternative Joker if I do not design it.

As the US and Canadian orders are shipped out by my friend Roger Nicot living in New York we could speed up the delivery. Unfortunately I forgot to ship Gummi bears to Roger so that he can keep the tradition. Smile I will send him some, let´s see what customs will say...

I will definitely add McDonald´s Aces with the big Phoenix Aces to the list of gaffs, any other suggestions are welcome.

Chinese Proverb
sean_mh
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of sean_mh
Cards such as 'Twisted Sisters'- and variations - would be nice.

Sean
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Will be available soon, call it Twisted Brothers then... King´s Parade is also possible and B`Wave

Chinese Proverb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL