The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2765 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Got my 12 + extras today. I LOVE these. Sweet one way too.

ihre harte Arbeit hat sich ausgezahlt! Vielen Dank für alle sie getan haben.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
656 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I never said I liked the Bicycle-joker. I just think a joker should be a jester - in any brand of cards. A king must look like a king, a joker must look like a joker. Sometimes I have a very simple mind.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17288 Posts

Profile of joseph
A nice stocking stuffer....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I finally had the chance to play around with the deck a bit. The edges seemed rough to me, but they did indeed faro right out of the box. And as Christian noticed, they seem a tad slipperier than Bikes. But that ain't no big thing.

All in all I think Christian has achieved what he wanted, and I am pleased to have supported the project.

Regarding the aces: I, too, missed having a second joker. But I really love the bigger pipped aces. I also think that there is a huge advantage...and disadvantage...to having the extra aces. The disadvantage is that most non-magicians will wonder why in the world there are two sets of aces. The advantage is that the magician can think of very clever ways to use them....

My vote, if it counts, would be to eliminate the ordinary small pipped aces, add another identical joker, and leave the leftovers on the sheet blank. No one would ever think about the blank ones, but they would still be usable.

Regarding gummy bears: I got mine. Bill, you should have requested that the cards be shipped from Germany rather than the States. Smile But would the extra postage really be worth it?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2190 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Took these to my local shop yesterday and showed them to a lot of people. Overall, the response was very positive. People like the back design quite a bit, as well as the feel.

Most folks seemed to prefer the "regular" aces (This could be just because that's what they're used to), although a couple of people liked the new big ones. Most people also said they would like for there to be 2 Jokers in the deck.

For me, I would definitely prefer normal aces and a pair of identical Jokers. Alternate Joker designs and big Aces could be made available separately as gaff packets or something.

BTW - I found 2 different one-way elements in the back design. Nice!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 12:30, Mercury52 wrote:
T

Kevin

Back to looking for the second one-way element...
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 13:50, DStachowiak wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 12:30, Mercury52 wrote:
T

Kevin

Back to looking for the second one-way element...

Look at (all!) the faces... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Renaldo
View Profile
New user
The Great Pacific NW
83 Posts

Profile of Renaldo
Patience pays off, I received my 4 decks today. Very nice. They are slippery, and the feel nice. Now the challenge is to find the one way designs...
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Hey christian, how long are you going to keep the presale sets on the website? I was on the site today, and stumbled across a link that still had them. Is this a mistake? Do I need to hurry up and order one of 'em before you notice? Smile
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
I've heard a lot complaints about the new Bicycle Box. Some think the new box makes it look more toy like or a trick deck. If there was ever a deck that looks like a trick deck, it's the Phoenix deck. Everything about them, the box, the backs and even the faces screams trick deck.

Sorry, but I just don't care for anything about these.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 22:12, motown wrote:
I've heard a lot complaints about the new Bicycle Box. Some think the new box makes it look more toy like or a trick deck. If there was ever a deck that looks like a trick deck, it's the Phoenix deck. Everything about them, the box, the backs and even the faces screams trick deck.

Sorry, but I just don't care for anything about these.

Interesting point of view. I have this feeling only when using the big piped aces. If I don't use them I think the deck is not suspicious at all. Besides the quality is good. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
656 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I don't care about big-pipped or small-pipped aces, but I think 4 aces in one box are enough. Two jokers, and - as mentioned above somewhere in this thread - blank cards! I think that's a great idea. Consider that seriously Christian. (I know you consider every tip and thought seriously.)
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I have to do a reprint soon as my European stock is running out fast. I left part of the production run in the USA as all Canadian and US orders for the Phoenix (trick) decks are sent out from there. Europe and the rest of the world are served from Germany.

To speed up things and give people enought time to get used to the new aces I wanted to do an exact reprint, again with the extra aces. After that - and after getting great feedback regarding the large Phoenix Aces from around the world - I can imagine that the following run will then have at least two Jokers, large Phoenix Aces and whatever suits you most. Two regular blank cards seem so uninteresting... Perhaps until then I have better ideas.

I think I will offer the old aces then as a set for 10 or 12 Phoenix decks for a low price so that all who still want to use them can get these extra aces and replace the Phoenix Aces with them.

@Motown: I have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever left your hometown or your state? Or even the USA? There is more out there than Bicycle brand...

BTW, the Presale Sets are gone so every link that still points to them is a mistake. Sorry that I had not enough time yet to clean up my website properly.

I was thinking of giving discounts for larger quantities of the decks but as I only charge 5 US$ / 3.50 Euro for shipping worldwide, whatever you are ordering, this is the discount somehow. Some shippings cost me up to 40 Euro / 60 US$ and more. Playing cards are really heavy and shipping for them can get expensive pretty fast.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
I, too, felt that the Phoenix deck looked a bit 'tricky' But if you look beyond that, then what a deck !
Peace in the World - or - the World in Pieces
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Card-Shark,

Was that some kind of knock on the good city of Detroit or your perception of Americans not traveling outside the USA. Quite frankly I'm not sure what leaving my hometown, which right now happens to be Atlanta, has to do with the price of tea in China.

And just to set you straight, I've traveled to your country the past 3 years, as well as many other countries. So yes, I'm aware of what's out there.

As Art Director, I have strong opinions about design and your cards just don't appeal to me.
Get over it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
"Motown", I think Christian was kidding, besides the fact that he doesn't know who you are. I know and I think you know that I know... If Christian would know your work and your books (which I enjoyed a lot as you know) he wouldn't even have tried to be funny. And it's simply true: we can not discuss taste. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
While I appreciate and respect that everybody has their own opinion (And are rightly entitled to it) I don't seem to understand why some people think the Phoenix Deck looks like a trick deck.

I mean the box is loosely based on the Bicycle original box , the back design is nice (Nothing Gimmicky Here) The faces are exactly the same as Bicycle Brand except for the Aces, (But even then you are supplied with an extra set of standard aces) The only other differences are the Joker and a slightly different Aces of Spades which is standard practice for all card manufactures.

I am still to decide which deck I prefer as I have only recently bought some Phoenix decks. I do like the larger Aces from a display point of view (I know some magicians don't due to them doing effects where the diamond is shown twice, but seeing as I have never been a fan of these types of effects it's not an issue for me. Also as mentioned before you are provided with a standard set of Aces anyway)

It feels as though the stock is softer and slightly more slippery. (I prefer the softness but not sure about the slipperiness) Having said this I am led to believe these are made on standard bicycle stock, so it could just be my imagination.

Overall I quite like the deck but will give further feedback once I have used them for a while.

Talking of personal opinions, I recently met David Bergless at the International Magic convention in London, and it looked like he uses Bridge size Waddingtons Cards (A British Brand) I found this quite interesting.

Speak Soon
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I can absolutely live with your opinion that they don´t appeal to you as design has always something to do with taste and taste is always depending on your mind.

Would you call a steamboat deck also tricky? What makes it different from mine? There are TONS of different decks on the market, unfortunately due to more and more mergers of playing card companies around the world a lot of the different decks are dieing and vanish from the market. Starting a new brand is just an effort against this. Having a greater choice of deck cannot be blamed and as playing cards are the most important tools for us magicians wouldn´t it be good to differ from your friends kind of magic?

What I cannot understand is if someone calls the Phoenix a trick deck. If you are USED to Bicycle backs then the cards look unfamiliar. But not tricky. The large Aces? A matter of design but not tricky. Don´t like them? Don´t use them. All the other faces are regular Bicycle faces. Jokers are important for every single brand, some use a King on a bicycle, others a beestock, a steamboat, horse or anything else that matches the name of the deck.

As my deck is called Phoenix it just made sense to use this mystic bird as the Joker.

As I travel the world also I am always happy to meet very open minded people. Most of the time exactly that happens. About the Americans: I would never say anything against them as I hate stereotypes. I was just surprised what a small percentage really has a passport (meaning that they never left their country). And travelling means opening up for other points of view, that is all I meant.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
For what it's worth, here are my thoughts. For the past week I have only been using the Phoenix deck and in my opinion, I think you have a winner!

The only thing I would change Christian would be the design of the Phoenix. Something little more serious and less "cartoon-ish" would be much better I think. It may also help to dispel the thoughts that this looks like a trick deck. I also like the idea of two-jokers, but I can do without.

I don't really see the problem with the Aces. Big Pips, Small Pips, whatever. I think if you're getting busted on effects because of the size of the pips on your aces, you have other problems you should be worried about. The big Aces can only help. And if they don't then switch them out!

As for the deck looking tricky. I don't think it does. And if people say something...you could try telling them the truth or some version of it. Tell them the deck is what they use in Europe or some other country far from you. People won't push the issue. Furthermore I think if you handle cards well and present your effects properly people will have no reason to think a trick deck, but again that's just me.
Quote:

On 2009-12-07 08:36, Card-Shark wrote:
About the Americans: I would never say anything against them as I hate stereotypes. I was just surprised what a small percentage really has a passport (meaning that they never left their country). And travelling means opening up for other points of view, that is all I meant.

Christian, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been privileged to do a fair bit of traveling in my short lifetime and I know exactly what you're talking about here. Many of those living Stateside will never be able to look at the world through the eyes of those living elsewhere. This includes those that may even travel a fair bit. Just because you travel down not mean you have truly seen. I have family in Italy and I'm always reminded of this whenever I am fortunate enough to see them and visa versa. If you doubt this look at the differences in the way magicians magicians across the world handle cards and think about magic...

Regardless, I like what you're producing here. I have no doubt that in time what you're putting out will improve and become even better. I look forward to seeing the progress Smile

Best,

Josh
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
It's a good deck; handles well. But it likely will be opposed by people who do not care for change from the familiar. I am glad to have the competition.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL