The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
maxignites
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of maxignites
Quote:
On 2009-12-03 23:13, dduane wrote:
Hi,

I received mine today, and I agree with Magiguy and Alias_Wolf. I got the 12 pack with the gaffs and the ultimate Monte. Well worth the price. These cards are more 'silky' feeling than the standard Bicycles. They do handle a little differently in that they slip more, but I'm sure it's a matter of getting used to them. My only question is how well they will hold up with use and wear. If they can take some use, then they have my vote. Nice cards, Christian!

Hi dduane, you said that this phoenix deck has a more silky feelin rather than the standard bicycle, how can that happen? as long as I know the USPCC use the same finishing mode (air cushion finish) for both of em. CMIIW
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I asked them and they have no idea. It is the aircushion finish on it.

The start of the Phoenix Deck was just the beginning, and the longer it will be available the more effects will be out there. So it will get more and more interesting to give this deck a try.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
Jeez, I love these cards. They're wonderful to hold and to work with and, although a bit slippery, but that can be a good thing. And the slipperiness will probably diminish over time. Are there really two "one-way's" in the design? When the back design was posted here a while back I found it readily enough. Where might the second be? My personal peeve with many cards is that they warp, especially here in the steaming tropics (Hawaii). I've had a deck of Phoenix cards on my desk for a few days now and in wet weather they do warp a bit, but when the sun comes back and things dry out they flatten again pretty as you please. Incidentally, they fanned beautifully right out of the pack. I'm waiting for some cool backs for fanning, like maybe some of the old classic art deco backs.
I'm as real as you think I am
Dizzidiz
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Dizzidiz
I just got these today. so far, I'm liking these. but time will tell. I think I'm a believer though Smile
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Just received mines today.
1. wow, great crisp feel and as a previous post mentioned, it is silky and the fanning is really something!
2. What a great effort, I don't know what is such a federal case a few folks have with this deck, you go and design and create a deck of cards and market/distribute them internationally. It's not like the guy mulched newspaper and handmade the cards and are selling them from the trunk of his car. Some people who are so hypercritical in dissecting this with the effort of the Kennedy assassination perturbs me. Has any layperson ever pointed out that the printing of a deck is off centered. Like any first generation product, there will be flaws. I don't see people !@#$%ing about recalls to millions of cars that pose a safety threat. Christian should might as well paid extra to have lead used in the inks so that we can all really have something to bit@h about. gafl
3. Outstanding job Christian!!!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
To those who think that any deck design other than Bicycles looks "tricky"...

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I have been performing professionally for over twenty years. Much of that has been at private parties in private homes. Often I borrow decks. It is a rare thing indeed, even in America, when someone hands me a pristine deck of Bikes in the case. The vast majority of the time, I am handed a deck, usually bridge-sized, wrapped with a rubber band, with a back design of puppies, flowers, a food product (Fritos, Coke, etc), or a landmark (the deck was purchased at the gift shop of a tourist destination).

Assuming the deck appears "tricky" because of its back design or joker design or ace design is thinking like a magician. Real people will think your Bike decks are every bit as "tricky". The only way to have them be sure it ISN'T "tricky" at the start of your performance is to borrow it from them. Otherwise, it just doesn't matter. You can assure them it isn't tricky at the end of your performance by leaving the deck with them as a gift. And once again, if you do this, it makes no difference what the design is.

So what it boils down to is personal preference. You like or dislike any deck based on your personal preference, and you don't want anyone insulting or demeaning you because of your tastes, so please don't demean and insult others if they happen to have different tastes.

Buy some Phoenix decks, or don't. Design your own deck, or don't. In the grand scheme of things, how much you entertain the audience is infinitely more important than the brand of cards you use to do it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4170 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 16:41, Scott F. Guinn wrote:

Best post I've read on this subject.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Sounding good! And absolutely fantastic that 'one of our own' is making good here - and for a good and proper reason. The Joker issue is still 'king' for me and they have to be identical and severely joker-ish! Nothing else will do. But the rest - wow - they look amazing!
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I have been performing professionally for over twenty years. Much of that has been at private parties in private homes. Often I borrow decks. It is a rare thing indeed, even in America, when someone hands me a pristine deck of Bikes in the case. The vast majority of the time, I am handed a deck, usually bridge-sized, wrapped with a rubber band, with a back design of puppies, flowers, a food product (Fritos, Coke, etc), or a landmark (the deck was purchased at the gift shop of a tourist destination).

Assuming the deck appears "tricky" because of its back design or joker design or ace design is thinking like a magician. Real people will think your Bike decks are every bit as "tricky". The only way to have them be sure it ISN'T "tricky" at the start of your performance is to borrow it from them. Otherwise, it just doesn't matter. You can assure them it isn't tricky at the end of your performance by leaving the deck with them as a gift. And once again, if you do this, it makes no difference what the design is.

So what it boils down to is personal preference. You like or dislike any deck based on your personal preference, and you don't want anyone insulting or demeaning you because of your tastes, so please don't demean and insult others if they happen to have different tastes.

Buy some Phoenix decks, or don't. Design your own deck, or don't. In the grand scheme of things, how much you entertain the audience is infinitely more important than the brand of cards you use to do it.

Well said Scott!! Well said indeed!
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
PRIORITY MAIL shipment of Gummi Bears...You guys are a CLASS ACT!
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 17:01, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:

Best post I've read on this subject.

Agreed.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:

Here here Mr Guinn...kudos to you for great insight in this matter! I wholeheartedly agree with all that you say...

Cardamagically,
DOM Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
...You can assure them it isn't tricky at the end of your performance by leaving the deck with them as a gift. And once again, if you do this, it makes no difference what the design is...

That's exactly what I do all the time. Best for MD work and good for Cristian... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
SAMARITAN013
View Profile
New user
Captain Magic, the man with the famous
19 Posts

Profile of SAMARITAN013
I bought, I tried, I loved !!!!!
These cards are the max for me. I love the marked deck; ooohhh sooooo easy to read!
I still did not find the second one way reading on the normal deck....
but I am still searching.
Bravooooooo Christian.... for your great work and super logistic.
Will you be in Blackpool in a few weeks? Hope to meet you there with some trick- cards/packets of the phoenix deck!!!
Greetings from Belgium to all of you.
FROM OVER THE 7 SEAS
AND WITH HIS FAMOUS EXPERTISE,
CAPTAIN MAGIC SEND YOU THE BEST VIBRATION
FOR GREAT MAGIC, CONJURING AND PRESTIDIGITATION !!!!!!
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1248 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I have a lot of different Card-Shark decks: two Gypsy Decks, three Medieval Tarot Decks with different force cards, one Ink Blot Cards (need to order another set with force cards), one Custom printed Deck and a lot of gummies. (What a customer…).

Anyway, the quality of all of them is great, Custom service is top. So, I’m a happy customer.
This deck gives me the personality I’m looking for.

Now I’m ready to order a couple of Phoenix Decks for Christmas. I’m sure these decks will be as good as the others.

For christmas wish, I would like to see more guys like Card-shark who wants to invest his time and money in this kind of projects.

Cheers!
Dizzidiz
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Dizzidiz
Well, after playing with these for awhile, and these cards have changed so much! when you first get them, they are super slippery. and now, mind are between awesome, and ruined. why?

because I put them in my breast pocket on a dy where I was very actve. meaning that they started to get moisture. now, they are a little too grippy for nice fans. but AMAZING for double lifts etc. I don't quite have an opinion, as I sort of voided these cards >_> so on to the next deck soon!
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Nobody can serve everybodies taste at the same time. I too do not like these jokers. For me they have to look like jesters. But Christian prints whatever we magicians want - if we buy it. Maybe he should open a subscription list for different jokers? If enough people subscribe, then it gets printed...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 13:49, Bill Palmer wrote:
I think Christian has done a fine job with these. If I had any significant problems with the deck order, I would simply remove the deck from the case, make the adjustment, remove the extra aces, put in a joker from another pack, then reseal the case.

I like the options he has given us.

But I do miss the gummi bears!

Well, I have to say that Roger Nicot (Card-Shark's US representative) took care of the Gummi Bear issue with yeoman speed. A day or so after I jokingly posted about the gummi bears, he sent me a box of them.

Thanks!

That's really going out of your way to please a customer.

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 1:24pm
Regarding the Jokers --

If you live in the UK, and you feel that the Jokers must be Jokerish (whatever that REALLY means), think back upon those WONDERFUL cards that Waddington's makes.

I have a fairly extensive collection of playing cards -- nothing like Goshman had, though -- and I can't recall any of the USPCCo. regular issue cards that actually had two jokers in them. There were always "extra jokers," which usually doubled as guarantee cards, so if you were going to do two joker effects, you had to ring in a joker from a second deck. And none of them, except the Bee brand cards, (as far as I can remember) had actual jokers. There was the Tally-Ho joker -- a man in English riding garb, the Bicycle joker -- a king of spades on a bicycle. The Aviator cards (and their alternate branding) did have a joker that looked like a court jester. The 500 cards had three gnomes gathered around a table playing a card game.

Fournier had some outstanding jokers. The ones that are in the 505 deck are really nice. But I don't see anything wrong with the Phoenix jokers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Yea, what he said.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2009-12-12 18:00, Dizzidiz wrote:
Well, after playing with these for awhile, and these cards have changed so much! when you first get them, they are super slippery. and now, mind are between awesome, and ruined. why?

because I put them in my breast pocket on a dy where I was very actve. meaning that they started to get moisture. now, they are a little too grippy for nice fans. but AMAZING for double lifts etc. I don't quite have an opinion, as I sort of voided these cards >_> so on to the next deck soon!
Same here...they don't fan as nice as when they were first opened. They are reacting the same as the David Blaine Split Spades when they first came out...they fan in clumps. What gives?

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL