The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
magus-inc
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of magus-inc
I've read this post, looked at the cards on the web and am really interested with one exception. No not the large pips or Phoenix jokers. Price.
I can order a brick of bikes for under £20. In fact in Coscto they are £13 for 12.
Yes the postage of the Phoenix card is excellent. It all bois down to a competitive price. As a working magician we know that the layperson really doesn't care what the cards are. For me, I welcome the change .... They look superb, reviews are superb, price is disappointing.
With the Euro matching the pound (almost) it seems that our friends in the states are getting a far better deal. Can I pay by paypal in dollars and have them delivered to me in the uk ? If so I'll order 2 sets of 18 !
.....follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you........
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
The price calculation is very easy to understand and I think I have to add this information somewhere on my website:

the cards for USA and Canada never left the USA and stay at my friends store who ships out the cards from there. Playing cards are very heavy stuff and compared to their cost per deck the shipping rates are very high. I have to charge all European customers 19 % Tax and also had to ship the cards over here by airfreight.

Everybody is free to order the decks someday from US dealers and pay the Dollar price they charge. But I have no idea what they will charge for international shipping.

I shipped out 5 parcels to Asia a few days ago and had to pay 260 Euro (= 380 US$). And all I charged were 5 US$ each for shipping. I really cried at the counter...
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
With so many decks out there already, I can't see why this is causing such excitement. How different can they be from any other deck? A layperson couldn't give a monkey's what design is on the cards. Apart from the fact they seem to be marked (loads of marked decks out there already) I cannot see anything new here.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I got my Phoenix Decks (2 red, 2 blue) plus the fake cards AND the gummy bears last week and have played with them since then, not the bears, the cards : )

I have to say Christian has done it again! Superlative work. Love the feeling of the cards when I work with them, and the artwork is GREAT.

Well done Christian!
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
@UncleBunkle: if you just want to use 52 cards for doing some magic tricks, borrow a deck from a spectator, save your money and do great miracles with a borrowed deck. This is fine, sometimes unbeatable and nothing to be said against it.

If you want to get full control over what you are doing invest in a good deck of cards. There are some decks out with pretty good quality. When it comes to the availabilty of trick cards there are only very few options out there, at least only one with the great variety (Bicycle). If you want to have even more freedom to get some things done that a single playing company cannot produce then you have no possibilities at all. And this will be changed with the Phoenix Deck.

So all the arguments for a Bicycle Deck can be taken for the Phoenix Deck, all arguments for the Richard Turner Deck also, but soon also all the arguments for the thin Protea Cards (aka Blank Phil Deck).

And this is just the beginning...

I think this is the fairest and best explanation what this deck is all about...

Chinese Proverb
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Card Shark : Perhaps I was a bit harsh. It's just that I use Bicycle cards & have never had any issues with them. Pretty much any useful gaff is available & the cards play ball as they should. Maybe I'm overlooking something here with your Phoenix deck. Apart from a different design, what pros do they have over Bicycle's? I'm kinda working on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I would never say anything against Bicycle cards. Some like them, some don´t. Having options is great. Some options will not be available over time with Bicycle design, but this is another issue.

I myself am now producing magic cards for five years now and came very often to the point where I was limited when I did not want to get some cards printed at US Playing Cards. No big matter, but sometims cards only have to be printed perhaps 50 times...

With the limitation I had to do find solutions that would have been illegal or a compromise with a different design. There are so many tricks out there using the Bicycle back design and are not authorised... It would astound you. So I did my job the best I could but was very often not really satisfied. With the Phoenix back that I developed by myself I am now completely free to do nearly everything without having to tell magicians with special wishes why it would not be possible - even if it would have been possible (if you understand what I mean).

So far and for a person happy using Bicycle decks all this effort does not make sense so much, the advantages will be visible very soon. And I had to start somewhere. I completely understand your point of view, UncleBunkle. Hope you can follow mine.

Christian

Chinese Proverb
WillyWombat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of WillyWombat
Very nice to handle and Faro much easier than a new pack of bikes.
Looking forward to Blackpool 2010 and seeing how far the project has gone.

Mark.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

I wish you only good fortune with this venture Card Shark. You seem to be receiving good feedback so I should really get this deck & see for myself. I'm aware my opinion counts for very little if I haven't even bought the product. Best of luck anyway!
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, still like them a lot but in wet weather they do seem to absorb moisture and become a bit sticky. I was going nuts trying to find a second "one way" figure. I gave a couple of cards to my wife and she found it in about five minutes. Very cool indeed. I wish they would make a deck that would render my pass invisible, though.
I'm as real as you think I am
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-12-18 18:12, alibaba wrote:
I wish they would make a deck that would render my pass invisible, though.

They do. Unfortunately, it is called "The Practice Deck" and is, therefore, useless to me!

:)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
SAMARITAN013
View Profile
New user
Captain Magic, the man with the famous
19 Posts

Profile of SAMARITAN013
I just noticed that USPCC released a new Bicycle deck also called Phoenis.? Two gaff cards are included and the price is +8 dollars. Gold tone court cards, new design, premium air-cushion finish.Don't mess up between the two birds!!! (Phoenix and Phoenix)
FROM OVER THE 7 SEAS
AND WITH HIS FAMOUS EXPERTISE,
CAPTAIN MAGIC SEND YOU THE BEST VIBRATION
FOR GREAT MAGIC, CONJURING AND PRESTIDIGITATION !!!!!!
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Both decks were released at the same time but the other one is more a collector's deck that was only printed 2500 times.

The other ones name is 'Bicycle Phoenix' and this here is the Phoenix Deck as I did not want to use Bicycle in the name to stay independent.

Chinese Proverb
Harry Guinness
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Harry Guinness
Been using Phoenix Cards for a week now and absolutely loving them. The extra slide suits me better than Bike's.

At all those moaning about them being suspicious; at a gig yesterday I had for some unknown reason a Bike card mixed in with my phoenix deck. The spec actually chose that card. I was performing top changes et al. with the card and neither me nor the 6 ridiculously observant spectators (they were engineers and spent the entire time trying to catch me out) noticed the change in back til the very end and then it was only me. They never knew.

Christian, awesome job.

And the SUM Deck is a thing of beauty... As is the regular marked deck. They have the single best marking system I've seen. Christian says he designed the back to be marked, it really shows! Far far superior to any marked Bike deck.
www.hypno-help.blogspot.com: Signup for the newsletter to get awesome free stuff.

"Harry knows what he's talking about and gives it to you with no filler. I'd give it a 9.5/10." Tyler Kerner
RCLmagic
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of RCLmagic
Received my four decks by Priority Mail this week and they look great.

An observation about the one-way design: it's not on the card case. That is, the side of the case that appears to be a reproduction of the card back is completely symmetrical and does not show the one-way mark.

(At least, not the one I know about. I've seen a few comments that suggest there are two different one-way design differences.)

Anyhow, thanks for these, Christian. Looking forward to seeing these everywhere...as I'm sure you are, too!

(Hey, what's this about Gummi Bears!? All I got were packing peanuts...unless they're actually...UGH, PHEW! No, they really are styrofoam!)

Bob Leedom
Glenwood, Maryland
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1755 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
About the gummi bears:
I established the good manner in giving a little something extra. As we all are grown-up kids getting our newest toys for playing I thought it would be great to have some gummi bears while checking the package or reading the instructions...

Now starting with the Phoenix Deck and the Sherpas we decided to establish Card-Shark USA with my friend Roger Nicot. He sends out all Phoenix orders to the USA and Canada (and some other countries depending on internal decisions). We did not officially announced this and are still optimizing the procedures. The huge demand for the Phoenix Deck was so great that we worked night and day to get out all orders as fast as possible. Now after the first run we are licking our wounds and see where we can optimize ourselves. Definitely I have to ship over some gummi bears bags to Roger so that also all the US magicians get the same German taste after opening their package.

All of you have a great christmas time, thank you all for your support.

Christian

Chinese Proverb
magus-inc
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of magus-inc
Earlier I made reference to the costs of the Phoenix cards being prohibitive. Let me be the first to say that, I was wrong.
I am the pround owner of 6 decks, marked deck, invisible deck and 3 card monte. The reason that I am the ' proud ' owner is that these cards make you feel special. The service that Christian gave was frankly incredible.
The cards are brilliant. Yes they are excellent to handle, they are similar to bikes. I haven't had them long enough to compare the decks , with one exception. The marked deck. Oh my goodness I am astounded at the quality and markings of these. I have had many marked decks and none , I mean not one of these decks compare. These were made for magicians , not altered bikes , it makes a massive difference, quite amazing. On the web site card shark say the marked deck will make you smile. The reason they will make you smile is that they are pure genius.
I now have many many bike decks that I will use for practice but for gigs it will be the Phoenix deck. Why not use a deck that makes you feel proud, special. It makes pure sense.
.....follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you........
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I received my pre-ordered dozen Phoenix decks (6+6) a few weeks ago and I love 'em. Quality seems just fine to me. Christian, you've done a great job with these!

Oh, and I had no idea that Gummi bears were a common staple with Christian's products so I wasn't expecting any. Smile

On a sadder footnote, I had lost my 3 card Monte set a few days ago and finally just now found them. Unfortunately they came back to me still in the pocket of my freshly laundered shirt. Wahh! I really liked them, too!

Thanks again Christian!

Jim
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
Hey, how many of the "one way" design elements are there, anyway? I found the first in rather short order. Then I gave the deck to my wife and she found another. My son came home for the holidays, I gave him the deck and he found a third!

I do like these cards, but they tend to be a bit hygroscopic and get sticky. Stickier than Bikes or Tally Ho's, actually. Is the coating and card stock supposed to be the same?
I'm as real as you think I am
david blown
View Profile
New user
I'm palming all my posts except
71 Posts

Profile of david blown
Hey christian,

can you give again the link where you sell the phoenix' ? did you mean that you would fabricate every single gaff one would request? and how would they be priced? (maybe I can look it up also on the hp)

best, David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Phoenix Deck - What do you think? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL