The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Phoenix Back cards from Cardshark (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
On November 30th I received an e-mail from Christian Schenk (AKA Cardshark) that my pre-order (placed in early October) was in route. I received them yesterday...3 days later. Pretty quick service I may add. These cards are manufactured by the USPC and have the standard Air Cushion Finish.

I opened a blue back pack and fanned them as I usually do and they behaved like any standard Bicycle deck, smooth and even. The smell of fresh printing ink permeated the room as I played with the deck.

They where in new deck order and at first I thought there was something wrong with the deck as there were some duplicates of the Ace of Clubs, Hearts & Diamonds in the deck. There was 1 joker also.

The dupes had the standard pips as the deck also has Christian's enlarged pip design. This is a nice touch in case you are a traditionalist and want a normal deck. I like the large pips though, but I believe many will opt to use the standard size pips. Time will tell. Nice touch Christian!!

As with any new design I often scrutinize the backs to find if they are a one-way design...and this is a very subtle one-way design. It didn't take me long to determine that.

I like the back design a lot and it is reminiscent of the old Alladin 1001s of which I've always liked. The cards were printed a little off center (a USPC bugaboo). The edges were a little rough but they faroed with no problem and after a Steven Youell polishing they faroed effortlessly.

My order came with a gaff card sampler with the usual DB, BB, etc. and a packet trick reminiscent of Mike Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte, the routine is by Mark Elsdon. While I don't particularly care for this variation, the cards can be utilized in Skinner's routine with ease. Again Christian has included a normal pipped Ace of Hearts if you want to use it...I like the large pip BTW.

In all I give this product 9.5 out of 10 only because I prefer to have 2 Jokers in my deck. DO yourself a favor and order some for Christmas... for yourself and magic friends (if you are in the giving spirit).

Cardamagically,
DOM Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
I agree wholeheartedly with you 110 percent! Fantastic cards fantastic price!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24186 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I purchased a brick of Phoenix cards when I first got the announcement. They arrived yesterday. Mine handled very well. I haven't applied Steven's treatment to the cards yet, but I didn't have any trouble faro shuffling them.

The paper has a good snap to it.

I don't really have a problem with the single joker. Most of the time, I don't use the joker at all. If I need an extra one, I'll pinch it from another deck.

The large pip aces are okay. It doesn't make a big difference to me on that, either. I will probably continue with the standard aces, though.

This is a very good deck of cards. The one way marking was very easy for me to spot.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24186 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, these cards also have a one-way marking on the faces.

See if you can find it.

The more I work with these cards, the better I like them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gbradburn
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
74 Posts

Profile of gbradburn
I just got 4 packs and can not see the one way marking on either the backs or faces. I would have expected a deck with a one-way marking to come with some indication as to where it is. Can someone PM me with some assistance?

Thanks,

Greg.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Phoenix Back cards from Cardshark (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL