The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Number Survey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Think of an number with two even digits from 1-100 now!
Don't change it, and PM it to me. Doing a survey to see if I can back up some statistics.

I said PM because a lot of times your eyes would jump down to other numbers posted below this.

Quote:
On 2009-12-04 11:26, magicFreak2 wrote:
Don't change it, and PM it to me. Doing a survey to see if I can back up some statistics.

I said PM because a lot of times your eyes would jump down to other numbers posted below this.

lol
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 11:46, magicFreak2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 11:26, magicFreak2 wrote:

lol

THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I think this has already been done : there is a routine using these statistics actually but I can't remember who has developped it.

PM'd you though Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
A number between 50 and 100 ... The effect is at least 50 years old.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
37 years old.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 14:20, Psychic Samurai wrote:
A number between 50 and 100 ... The effect is at least 50 years old.

No its between 1 and 100 Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Have fun with that Smile
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 14:33, Psychic Samurai wrote:
Have fun with that Smile

While I am sure that this has been done before, I realized there are only 12 two different even digit numbers. I wouldn't call 0 a number, anyone here have 0 cups of coffee today? I don't mean didn't have any, I really mean 0 cups, so like "drinking" a cup of nothing Smile

When they hear think of a number between 1 and 100, most people think around 50, and then when both digits have to be even, I hear something like 66, and then if you add in that they have to be different, normally you'll get 68 or 64.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, the research done by Kamman and Marks (The Psychology of the Psychic) shows that when asked to name any number between 1 and 100, the results tend to cluster around 22 and 23. 68 is the most common response only when you limit the choice to two digit even numbers - both digits different - between 50 and 100. As has been pointed out, this is a very old psychological force.

Interestingly, I've found that if I say to an audience, "Think of a two digit number between one and a hundred," and hold up two fingers when I say the words 'two digit number' and one finger when I say 'between one and a hundred', I will often get a high number of people thinking of 21.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 14:50, mastermindreader wrote:
Actually, the research done by Kamman and Marks (The Psychology of the Psychic) shows that when asked to name any number between 1 and 100, the results tend to cluster around 22 and 23. 68 is the most common response only when you limit the choice to two digit even numbers - both digits different - between 50 and 100. As has been pointed out, this is a very old psychological force.

Interestingly, I've found that if I say to an audience, "Think of a two digit number between one and a hundred," and hold up two fingers when I say the words 'two digit number' and one finger when I say 'between one and a hundred', I will often get a high number of people thinking of 21.

Very interesting Smile I wonder if that could be combined into a routine. Will have to try it out.

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 3:22pm
It worked, sort of. Tried it on the first person I met.

Instead of 21 he thought of 12. Its probably because I did it twice for emphasis.

Fingers: 2 - 1 - 2 - 1
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'd count that as a hit. But keep in mind that tests like these are not intended to be used on one person. The odds are too long against you. I've only used the number forces on audiences of 100 or more.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Its definitely a hit. While the largest audience I ever perform for is probably about 15, that's still a very nice rate. And if they say no to 21, you can just say, sorry I got that wrong, I meant 12, and it could still be counted as a hit.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 14:50, mastermindreader wrote:

Just repeating what BC said here. I believe it was discussed in Psychological Subtleties (referred to Psychological Subtleties 1 these days).

Clustered around 22, harvest hits (leaving hands up in air, for example), count near misses as hits.

The sentence above will sound rather cryptic to some, rather elementary to some, and, with any luck, really helpful for at least one person. Much like my next sentence:

Listen to Bob.

-Lem
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Number Survey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL