The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Razor Blades question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
328 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Hello bizarrists,

A new visitor to these parts of the Café, I am interested in learning a method of the razor blades on string trick. I have done a few searches and it seems that the popular ones are Tim Ellis', Tomas Medina's (Geek magic), and Byrd and Coates' DVD. Can anybody outline and pros/cons for these three without exposure? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am keen to start and end clean, if possible, and am not too bothered about showing the blades sharp first, as I have my own ideas for routining. Any help greatly appreciated.

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk

***Now with new impossibottles for SALE!***
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
You might want to look into Kotah's (Ron Dayton) take on this. I believe it's available on it's own from Leaping Lizards or it's in Ron's book "Brainstorm In My Pajamas" (which is really good by the by).
What would Wavy do?
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
756 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
You can pick up the pocket version from Hank Lees for about $15. I have used this version for years. I just pick up a new set when the razor blades get rusty or old. I recently started using Tomas Medina's version and it is so easy and you are left very clean. I think it is one of the best versions around.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 20:11, WayneCapps wrote:
You can pick up the pocket version from Hank Lees for about $15. I have used this version for years. I just pick up a new set when the razor blades get rusty or old. I recently started using Tomas Medina's version and it is so easy and you are left very clean. I think it is one of the best versions around.

Wayne, is there a difference between Coats version on Razor Blade Magic and Medina's version? I always thought that they were the same.

Either way it's a cool effect for lay audiences. The sideshow crowd has probably seen this countless times.

Sunday on the National Geographic Channel, blockhead, bed of nails, firewalking and other Swami things shown. Hopefully most people will be watching the NFL and the NGC won't show methods.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
756 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The cheap version I mentioned is no longer available from Hank Lee. It is called the Vest Pocket Razor Blades. http://www.funkandjunk.com/index.php?mai......id=13048
You can usually pick it up for around $12-$15. It uses a pouch, as you can see in the picture.

I am not sure about Byrd and Coats' DVD but I love Medina's DVD. His method looks very good and there is no need for a pouch.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:

Sunday on the National Geographic Channel, blockhead, bed of nails, firewalking and other Swami things shown. Hopefully most people will be watching the NFL and the NGC won't show methods.

I think it would only help, in this case, if people watched. Isn't this a little different from exposing a magic trick? It's not like there's a secret to blockhead or firewalking or the bed of nails. They are just what they are. Knowing the physics of why they work doesn't lessen the effect.
What would Wavy do?
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
328 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Thanks guys,

Especially interested if anybody has seen two or three of these and can compare and contrast...

Merlin
First do no harm...

KeokeSilver_Fang
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of KeokeSilver_Fang
Just poking a nose in,

If I recall correctly, Bizzaro had put out two different media dedicated to nothing but the razor blade stunt you are speaking of. On the dvd, he teaches several different methods that use gimmicks, and several methods that use nothing but what the spectators see, blades and string; maybe blood as well. It all depends on how you perform the stunt.

PS

I totally forgot to put the name of the product in here, but its called "Helter Shelter the movie"
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 11:36, Mark Raven wrote:
Quote:

I think it would only help, in this case, if people watched. Isn't this a little different from exposing a magic trick? It's not like there's a secret to blockhead or firewalking or the bed of nails. They are just what they are. Knowing the physics of why they work doesn't lessen the effect.

I guess you're right Mark. It's not like I've walked on fire and I have no bed of nails as of yet. I just don't want people outside of "the ring of trust" to know, ya know.
It isn't like exposing a magic trick but the mystery is taken out of it although things could be added to make the effects seem more daring.

Not to derail the thread. I bought a pack of Zorrik super stainless double edged blades years ago and I still have several packets left. I used the version from Swami Mantra and then Byrd and Coats version. It's a great effect and people still love it.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2239 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
" Ring of Trust" when applied to magic seems an oxymoron.
Kotah
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
It's in terms of Meet The Parents lol.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
From what I understand Bizarro's video is a resource that collected a bunch of stuff on the razor blade illusion while the others show only one method for it.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Official Thread Killer
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
You can now buy my version 'Ultimate Blades' as a download here for $10

http://www.australianmagician.com/store/......uctId=15
KeokeSilver_Fang
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of KeokeSilver_Fang
Well since Mr. Ellis posted its a good time to point out, the bizzare man pointed at Mr. Ellis's routine. If its the one taught on the dvd "Ellis in Wonderland" I highly recommend it. With that said its nice to have options for different occasions.
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
My favorite version is by John Booth. I believe it is in "Forging ahead" by John.
Simple and direct. Just razor blades and a pocket hankerchief .
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Yes, it's the one from ELLIS IN WONDERLAND
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
An excellent version, you can make yourself, was in one of Bill Severn's excellent books. Maybe someone here can direct you to it. It was done with a spool of thread.

Dick
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
328 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Thanks everybody for your advice. Blades here I come...
Merlin
First do no harm...

cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
Paul Potassy's book has a great version !!
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Frankly it's all on your shomanship,not what you have as a prop. Let's remember that H.H. was able to fill a whole stage when he persented such,as he did with others.You can cgeate a miracle in the publics mind using a coin and be a complete flop using a levitation.
The ability to control your audience. Enough. There are many makes out there furthermore tops 80-82 issue has the H.H. version as his needle version,(sorry I don't like to call them tricks). I for one do not like the thread idea,but it's a personal thing,veryone does this anyway. There is also the use of a wooden spool holder for the do it yourself,i beleive it was mentioned.
As for the cheep make as you call it,i've used it for upteen years,as parlour,stage ect. with a big reply from the little sheeps(audience)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Razor Blades question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL