The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Polar Bear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxis7Y1ikIQ

What a magnificent way to sell global warming to the people.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'd like to buy a bear a coke
to keep in company
With icecubes...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Frankly, that's just stupid.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I knew Palin hunted from a helicopter, but I had the wrong idea of how it was done.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Polar Bear Bomber-1 over target area..."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Considering that a Boeing weighs about 80 000 kg when it takes of that means in produces 15% of its weight in gasses on each fleight. That seems a little hard to believe. I am not saying I am sceptic because I don't want Payne on my case but I doubt if the numbers are right.
Also, a really stupid ad.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nice use of CGI - impressive and effective images.

I still prefer the images of polar bears on tiny ice floats.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 11:09, abc wrote:
Considering that a Boeing weighs about 80 000 kg when it takes of that means in produces 15% of its weight in gasses on each flight. That seems a little hard to believe. I am not saying I am sceptic because I don't want Payne on my case but I doubt if the numbers are right.

I could see where the fuel would comprise 15% of the weight of the plane as a 747 goes through a gallon a second. But since it carries 500 people plus freight this works out to about 100 miles to the gallon per person. which is a lot better fuel usage than most cars.

I agree the ad is needlessly melodramatic and adds little to the debate. Airlines are always working twards more fuel efficient planes. Not because of environmental concerns but because of economic ones. Fuel is one of their major expenses. so anything they can do to reduce usage increases their bottom line
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 12:42, Payne wrote:

I agree the ad is needlessly melodramatic and adds little to the debate. Airlines are always working twards more fuel efficient planes. Not because of environmental concerns but because of economic ones. Fuel is one of their major expenses. so anything they can do to reduce usage increases their bottom line

Which is why I wonder why some "analysts" insist that all environmental improvements are economically disastrous.

And BTW, the 25th anniversary of the Bhopal disaster was a few days ago. It is a timely reminder that sometimes large corporations do need legislation to make them do the right thing.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I think if you're comparing what happened at Bhopal to carbon emissions, it's a bit of a stretch.

As far as the commercial, I've never thought shock was an effective education tool.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
John, countries like Mexico, India, and China allow certain actions which are regulated in evil countries like the US and Canada, that is why they can attract companies along with the slaves and all that good stuff. I'm sure the next step in the ads will be Boeing bad, Airbus good.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Oh, I'm aware of that, Santa. Which is why I say that there are many corporations that will do what they know is wrong if there are not regulations in place to stop them.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Surprised that there was no disclaimer that there were no Polar Bears hurt of killed fot this video. I just banned that website from my computer.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Isn't it up to those countries to put in regulations?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 11:09, abc wrote:
Considering that a Boeing weighs about 80 000 kg when it takes of that means in produces 15% of its weight in gasses on each flight. That seems a little hard to believe. I am not saying I am sceptic because I don't want Payne on my case but I doubt if the numbers are right.

I could see where the fuel would comprise 15% of the weight of the plane as a 747 goes through a gallon a second. But since it carries 500 people plus freight this works out to about 100 miles to the gallon per person. which is a lot better fuel usage than most cars.

Some numbers from the Boeing website:

A Boeing 747-400 consists of 147,000 pounds (66,150 kg) of high-strength aluminum alone. Add to that the weight of 16 main landing gear tires and two nose landing gear tires, and all of the other materials that go into the plane. Plus passenger and cargo weight. Probably getting close to 80,000 kg so far. That does not include the weight of the fuel.

So add to that the fuel it carries. A 747-400 that flies 3,500 statute miles (5,630 km) carries 126,000 pounds (56,700 kg) of fuel.

By the way, a standard configuration of a 747-400 carries a maximum of about 416 people. So each passenger 'uses up' about, say, 120-130 kg or fuel. The exact figure would depend on how many passengers and how much fuel is being carried.

What if we look at the smaller 737 series of jet, say a 737-700. Holds 126-149 passengers, and 6875 US gallons / 26,020 L of fuel. That works out to be about 21,076 kg of fuel (0.81kg/L is a typical ballpark weight of jet fuel). So that's roughly about 140-150 kg of fuel for each passenger (depending on the number of passengers and how much fuel is being carried).

No matter how you look at it, it doesn't seem at first glance that 400 kg of greenhouse gases per passenger is a realistic figure.

HOWEVER ... this ignores how much energy is used to produce the jet fuel nor does it include how much energy and greenhouse gases are involved in the production of the many 10s of thousands of kg of aluminum that go into the construction of the jet. Presumably the latter would be amortised over the life of the jet.

Obviously this would add to the total. Would the total hit 400 kg? I have no idea.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 12:57, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Which is why I wonder why some "analysts" insist that all environmental improvements are economically disastrous.
John

I have always wondered why people think corporations are evil when they WANT better fuel economey for planes and such.

I do not insist ALL environmental improvements are disastrous. Only those that will unnecessarily burdon an already constricted economic outlook.

So just to throw gas on the fire (and make an even larger carbon footprint) what is your position on nuke power John?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 14:15, MagicSanta wrote:
John, countries like Mexico, India, and China allow certain actions which are regulated in evil countries like the US and Canada, that is why they can attract companies along with the slaves and all that good stuff.

Stop badmouthing China Smile

Newsweek article: Everything You Know About China Is Wrong

Myth No. 6: CHINA PUTS MONEY BEFORE THE ENVIRONMENT.

For years China has resisted pressure to help control carbon emissions, insisting that it needs to develop first, and that its per capita emissions are far below those of the West. Now, as China has come to realize that its people could be among the hardest-hit victims of global warming, Beijing has mobilized its resources, as perhaps only China can. With the help of generous state subsidies, Chinese companies have, for example, taken the lead in solar cell production, and are powering ahead in many other areas. This fall Chinese leaders announced new targets for reducing carbon emissions, which, if met, would put the nation in the lead on combating climate change by 2020.

China has made green technology a national priority, launching major research initiatives on solar-powered batteries and wind technology. Its green stimulus package amounts to $218 billion, the largest in the world, resulting in the founding of dozens of alternative energy companies within the last year. China already produces more power from renewable energy than any other nation in the world.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/218290/page/6
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-12-06 14:59, MagicSanta wrote:
Isn't it up to those countries to put in regulations?

It is. But that doesn't let those who exploit the lack of regulations off the hook.

To put it in glaring terms: some economically desperate countries allow foreigners to buy 10-year-olds for sex. Does that excuse the sex tourists?

If economically desperate countries allow foreign or domestic corporations to poison their citizens, does that excuse corporations that do it?

John
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say John, I agree with you. Really. If it is wrong "morally' or whatever word anyone is comfortable with then it is WRONG.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Nice to be in good company Danny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Polar Bear (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL