The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Osborne "Happy Holidays" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
Hi;

I recently bought Osbornes BBB.
I want to build the illusion called "Happy Holidays" on page 174.
The problem is I am having difficulty visualizing the door(s).
Has anyone made one of these?
Can anyone explain the point of the two doors?

regards,

Devlin Norris.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I haven't built one, but it looks like there is only one door. It is simply to open to show the cabinet empty and then to allow Santa to exit the box. It is a weird shape (tracing the outline of the brick design), but other than that it seems ordinary.

Thanks,
Richard
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
Richard;

That is it.
Thanks so much.

regards,

Devlin
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7409 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sorry, but Richard is incorrect.

I built one of these years ago, and occassionally use it in my holiday show to produce Santa.

Instead of painting a brick pattern, I purchased faux brick paneling (I think it came in 4'x8' sheets, like plywood does.) Then I glued and screwed the paneling to the 1/2" birch plywood that I used for the sides.

Then I used a jig saw to cut the second door.

Yes, there are 2 doors. The smaller cutout brick one, and a larger, "proper" door. The cutout brick one is used to show the prop empty (better for BA), and I toss a Santa hat inside. After revolving the prop, Santa steps out of the big door.

There is no way that Santa could get into, or out of, that smaller cutout brick door.

One thing you have to watch for, when Santa steps out, is he might knock his hat off (and maybe his wig) because he has to crouch low to get out the "proper" door.

I also put a small stool inside (folds for transport), for Santa to sit on in the prop. Many Santas cannot kneel for an extended amount of time (I learned that the hard way, after building another Osborne illusion that resembles a sleigh, years earlier) because of weight, age, or health problems (aka knee problems).

I also designed my chimney ("Happy Holidays" Illusion) to break down for packing into 4 pieces. Bottom, wall A&B, wall C&D, and the top. A piano hinge to hold walls A&B together, and a piano hinge to hold wall C&D together. 12 breakapart hinges hold the whole prop together when assembled.

It's heavy, but it breaks down.

Unfortunately, this illusion isn't stored at my home, and I don't own a digital camera to take a photo for you.

If you are able to be patient, I might be able to get a photo in about 3 weeks, just after Christmas.

- Donald

P.S. No, it is not for sale.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
Hi Donald:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I would love to see a photo if you have a moment.
Actually your explanation is how I interpreted Richards answer.
Essentially, a door within a door.

I guess you find it practical for producing Santa?
Do you remember where you bought the faux brick?
Home Depot sells a brick wallpaper that looks awful.

Do you know what the thickness was for the base? 1/2" ply?
I'm also curious how you attached the chimney to the base.
Did you attach it with hinge pins as well or did you simply lay it on top?

thanks again...

Devlin
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7409 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It's a great illusion for producing Santa.

I bought the faux brick paneling at a typical hardware store. Home Depot or somewhere like that. It is textured, etc.

For the base, I used 3/4" birch plywood.

The chimney is attached to the base with pin hinges, as I explained earlier (I miscalled them breakapart hinges.) One for each wall / base connection point (approximately in the middle of the wall), so 4 total for the base.

I replaced the pins with coathanger wire, longer than needed, with a loop twisted into one end. Makes inserting and removing easier.

The reason you want to attach the base is that you might have to go over bumps, doorways, up ramps, etc. and you don't want it to come apart on you.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
Hi Donald;

BTW, I emailed the same question to Paul Osborne and he was very quick to reply to the same query. His response confirms your description and rationale.
I must say I was pleasently surprised that Paul took the time to answer my question directly and so very quickly.
I have always had great service from him in the past for purchases, but this personal follow-up exceeded my expectstions.

regards,

devlin
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
Hi Donald;

BTW, I emailed the same question to Paul Osborne and he was very quick to reply to the same query. His response confirms your description and rationale.
I must say I was pleasantly surprised that Paul took the time to answer my question directly and so very quickly.
I have always had great service from him in the past for purchases, but this personal follow-up exceeded my expectations.

regards,

devlin
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 18:29, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Sorry, but Richard is incorrect.

Actually, I was incorrect. Like I said, I never actually built one, I was just looking at the Black Book when I saw the post. As I look at the plans again I see the second door and it makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the heads up Donald.

Just brainstorming, but the costume problem could be solved by having the sides and front of the box hinge down as Santa stands during the production. Paul has another plan for a Oriental Doll house that works like this.

Thanks,
Richard
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I did the same thing about 15 years ago when building this for a client....built with faux brick panels. We changed the illusion ending around a bit to where the chimney lid comes off and all 4 panels fall to the floor. The showing of the empty box and door are the same. Oh, and we filled the empty space around santa inside with white styrofoam popcorn. When the 4 panels fell,, looked as if santa was in a pile of snow...and it made the illusion seem impossible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Osborne "Happy Holidays" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL