The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In this world of technology... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
...just curious to how many of you out there in mentalism are using electronics in your show. More and more great feats are available using electronics. Taylor has some great stuff including real ghost and others that I use. I have a total of 3 electronic pieces I use in a one hour show. All 3 are vital to its routine. Ive tried to keep a backup plan in the script, just in case, for each. But it would be tough to match the outcome of the routine if a device was to go down. Obviously the downside.

But to me, the upside outweighs the downside. The routines are very strong.. strong enough to take that risk, but I say this as nothing bad has happened yet. Maybe ill feel diferently down the road.

What are your thoughts on this. Is there anybody out there that has entirely said NO to electronics. Would love to hear your side and thoughts. Also any on stage stories anybody wants to share about using electronics in mentalism.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
I think that so long as the method you choose to achieve your effect is the BEST method for the job, then it matters not one way or the other..
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Some things make life awesomely easy for the magician or mentalist. Marked cards, a secret confederate and/or modern technology spring to mind.

Taking the lo-tech analogy of marked cards, there are naive tricks that any kid could do, that would blow the gaff immediately to any spectator with half a brain, and there are more subtle and devious uses of marked cards that don't telegraph the gaff to the spectator.

Likewise, I think, with modern gadgetry and/or a secret assistant. The audience is as hip to technology as the mentalist, but a few presentational subtleties could misdirect the backtracking mind away from any possible technological solutions.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Yannou
I think it's more a matter of the audience not suspecting you may have used electronics. As an example: how impressive do you think a prediction on paper is going to be once electronic paper becomes a reality? People already suspect miniature printers if you have your prediction in a box. Which BTW is not farfetched, I happen to know a mentalist who used that method in a television show.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 05:20, Yannou wrote:
I think it's more a matter of the audience not suspecting you may have used electronics. As an example: how impressive do you think a prediction on paper is going to be once electronic paper becomes a reality? People already suspect miniature printers if you have your prediction in a box. Which BTW is not farfetched, I happen to know a mentalist who used that method in a television show.

With magic people almost suspect that you use high technology. If they cant explain it any other way, its technology. Levitations, their just mini fans under your feet. If its a vanishing, theres an automatic trap door. Etc.

Mentalism is the only form of magic where that logic doesn't work, *so long* as you use few props.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Great things are being done with electronics in mentalism these days.

Tim Wisseman
Promystic
Labco
Christopher Taylor

These guys make the "werks" invisible and beyond what a spec could ever imagine is really happening.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I think part of the negative attitude towards electronics in mentalism comes from the idea that it makes things *too* easy. I can appreciate that, but I also disagree to a point. I think it makes things different rather than easier. That's because you still have to create a presentation layer that leads the spectators away from the real method and into the illusion you create for them. Gadgets don;t do that for you; they're just tools, like billets, swamis, or any of the other usual detritus. What *really* matters in electronics is build quality and observing solid prep (always using newly recharged batteries for *every* performance, testing the device just before you go on, having outs available just in case, etc.)

What I think is needed is more people writing material for electronics. I think this is what'll bring us to the tipping point of general acceptability.
SH
View Profile
New user
Denmark
74 Posts

Profile of SH
Quote:
On 2009-12-08 07:16, Jon_Thompson wrote:

What I think is needed is more people writing material for electronics. I think this is what'll bring us to the tipping point of general acceptability.

Hi Jon

I think you are right.

In 2010 we will make an E-book with routines for the UFO system.
Send your routines to Labcomagic, and win gift vouchers for
Labcomagic products. Read more on our website: http://www.labcomagic.com

Email your routines before the 1th of November 2010, to:
sorenharbo@gmail.com

Best
Soren
http://www.labcomagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In this world of technology... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL