The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cheesy Magic...what's on your list? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
My vote goes to the vanishing cane. You'd have to be blind to not see the lines which scream FAKE!! Also, how many people do you see walking around with these?

Jeff
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
My vote goes for the self contained color changing silks. I'm also voting for any self levitation where your feet rise 4" off the floor.

Jim
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The fake fantasia candles are my definition of bottom of the barrel magic.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Rubber chickens, major cheese.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Love rubber chickens..Use it in my let's make chicken noodle soup routine

Don
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
....and of course, precisely because they ARE cheesy, all the above effects could earn pride of place in a wellplanned show!
;)
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Blow yur stack
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 17:45, magicgeorge wrote:
Blow yur stack

HA!! Great one! I must admit it is the CHEESIEST effect I have ever created!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Props are just props. But I've seen some REAL cheezy performances.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
I'm with you Frank

Don
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 18:11, magicman1 wrote:
I'm with you Frank

Don

I'm with you Don!

"Pick a card" could be deemed cheesey - and just about every magician in the world must have said this at some point. Some magicians would say it a dozen times in every performance.

Also cheesey can be extremely entertaining. Jeff Hobson springs to mind...

Mark
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I'm in Frank's camp as well.

I must confess to groaning every time I see 'the vanishing bandana' though!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1218 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I agree it's mostly in the performance, but some props are just cheesey. Botania is my first pick -- I love Tommy Wonder's description of howRobert-Houdin's wonderful orange tree became that abomination by settling for lesser and lesser effects.

Marc
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 06:21, kimmo wrote:
I must confess to groaning every time I see 'the vanishing bandana' though!

That trick hardly even qualifies as magic, does it?
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Ditto on the bandana...and the coloring book....and I'm in Frank's camp. If you're a good or great performer you should be able to take a sack of goat cheese and make it hysterically funny and magical when you pull Grandma's vanished ring from it....
I'm betting with Chance's history, he could make a wonderful coloring book that would look like a super size comic book that would blow people away.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I'm having trouble with thread because I'm not clear on what everyone means by "cheesy."
A lot of posts seem to be talking about lame tricks; to me cheesy (synonym corny) would only be appropriate in discussing presentations.
For example, I do Jeff McBrides "musnt's" and a professor's nightmare routine where I talk about the magic and meaning. These are both very good routines, but they are cheesy.
Does anyone else use the word 'cheesy' in the manner I'm talking about?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

I've seen the coloring book done for an adult audience and it was certainly not cheezy.

The other things that are cheezy to me are out-of-the-box performances of store-bought-tricks, or the ever popular widely internet-advertised tricks.

Vanishing bandana is one of them. I still don't blame the trick. It's the "magician" who's still in store-bought-trick mode.

Why not dare to be creative? Can you do no better than to "do" someone else's ideas? What about your own ideas? Can't you entertain kids without spending $3,000 on props, or making a mess with a banana every time, etc.? Personally, I think I get as many laughs and surprises from the hanky trick as I would from the vanishing bandana. So why use the vanishing bandana??? It's a total mess. And requires music, a PA, etc.

How many of you have as a goal that eventually you'll be doing ALL YOUR OWN STUFF.
Nobody else's anything. A 1 hr. GREAT show for kids with simple props AND ALL YOUR OWN PRESENTATIONS that are NOT recognizable as anyone else's.

perhaps:
ropes
change bag
silks
egg bag
deck o' cards
mouth coil
whatever...
sock-puppet
clown nose
comedy wands

everything fits in a briefase. hilarious. kids laughing and having fun. even the adults are loving the show and they've been fooled completely. And all your props cost about $15 total. You get a tip. You are asked for your business cards every time you do a show. You get repeat customers.

Now THAT'S a rock star!

That's who I'd want to hire to do my kid's birthday party.
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Interesting twist Frank, I am a big believer in owm presentations and creativity. However, and I would like to hear your toughts on that, sometimes I practise and rehearse a trick. I test it on audience and after a long journey I found out that some tricks already have the best routine and performance. I can't beat that.

So now I have a dilemma, should I perform the routine in his orginality or must I go on trying to give it another performance?

In my mind I think of silk to egg, silver scepter, magic painting ect.

Looking foreword to the response.

my best,
Ronald
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

How do those tricks fit your act? Do you have running gags, callbacks, other bits that you can add in just for some fun? I think that pretty much every trick I do references some other part of my act in some way.

I just added a disgusting bit to my hanky trick last week and I was reminded of it when reading Charlie Frye's latest book of tricks, humor, and gags.

There's always sometihng that can be added/removed/altered to take a commercial trick and make it yours. No commercial tricks are perfect because they're meant as a starting point.

Look at Whit Haydn's silk-to-egg. Do you think he just does it right out of the box? No. he turned it into a teaching trick. Same thing with his professor's nightmare, etc. Same thing with his rings routine. They are all classics that he turned into "a show with a theme".

What is your theme? If you don't have a theme or a plan then you might not know what to do with these until you decide on character/theme, etc.

Once you know who you are and where you're going in your act, then the changes start revealing themselves to you almost automatically and almost too fast. That's where the notebook comes in. You'll be coming up with so many changes and ideas so fast that you'll forget if you don't write them down.

That's where the fun begins and where you're rewarded for your creative efforts.

So, in a nutshell:

ALL Commercial tricks are just a starting point.
It's ok to use them that way but don't stop thinking there.
Find ways to make it fit your character and your act.
Remember that it may take 200 performances before it STARTS to become yours.

Shall we take a corny cheezy classic and discuss it?
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Any trick that involves a mouse!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cheesy Magic...what's on your list? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL