The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cheesy Magic...what's on your list? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
^^^ funny! Smile

I have a killer coloring book routine that parents and kids love! I'd say the cheesiest or korniest is pride and joy. Not really a trick but pretty cheesy.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1707 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 17:56, Frank Starsini wrote:
Props are just props. But I've seen some REAL cheezy performances.

I second that comment

Too many kids shows performers act & cater for the 25 kids at the front & act & speak like there 3 yrs old themselves & completley forget the 70-100 adults standing & also watching the show-Play to your audience!!!!! I cringe as I see them perform

Its these cheesy performances that bring magic down & people wonder why Magicians are always compared to Clowns or worse! and never taken seriously

Simple kids effects can play huge if the performer has a personality on stage-Theres some fabulous kids performers out there but they are a tiny minority!!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 23:41, Frank Starsini wrote:
How many of you have as a goal that eventually you'll be doing ALL YOUR OWN STUFF.
Nobody else's anything. A 1 hr. GREAT show for kids with simple props AND ALL YOUR OWN PRESENTATIONS that are NOT recognizable as anyone else's.

perhaps:
ropes, change bag, silks, egg bag, deck o' cards, mouth coil, sock-puppet, clown nose, comedy wands
.....That's who I'd want to hire to do my kid's birthday party.

...but quite probably, not who the kids would want you to hire! In my area, we have a large number of weekend-warriors who offer a show along these lines. Many of their colouring book presentations are "original", as are their change-bag routines, silk routines, and sock puppet routines (performed with the same sock they've been using since 1980). Just because they're original does NOT make them funny, or entertaining. Nor does it make them uniquely theirs, because just about EVERY magician has ropes, change bag, silks, egg bag, deck o' cards, mouth coil, sock-puppet, clown nose, comedy wands. Equally, many of the same performers would fall flat on their face with big expensive props too. Of course, it's the performer who makes the show; but if all the performer's effects are the same old standards, kids will be unimpressed. A good performer realises that it's prudent to offer tricks and routines that the kids have NEVER seen before - not the presentation, the props, none of it. Great if you can make you own props - but another solution is to source your props (as I do) from abroad. Most guys around my area wouldn't countenance importing a trick from the States, for instance.
I'm not saying that you can't make an entertaining show with all the same old, same old props. But if we're talking about originality, my opinion is that we should be looking beyond the colouring book and change bag, to genuinely original shows.
Potty Smile
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
If you want to talk cheese raised to the nth degree - you gotta see Jeff Christensen's web site! (just kidding - lol)
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 13:26, Signor Blitz wrote:
If you want to talk cheese raised to the nth degree - you gotta see Jeff Christensen's web site! (just kidding - lol)

OUCH!! That's quite off topic albeit true. My website is cheesy and I'd be the first to admit it. Certainly on my list of things to upgrade but alas my computer skills are somewhat limited and I've distracted myself with so many projects that it just keeps getting put off. In fact, I have a second website which I've paid for over a year and still haven't gotten around to doing it.

It sounds like I need to do some work on it before the mice come.

Meanwhile back on the topic I do totally agree with Potty that I don't want to be doing the same thing that everyone else is doing. Do I do some things that others are doing...yes but I do try to put my own original educational slant on things.

For example, I do the Vanishing Bandana (my 11 year old daughter does it actually) and we have it with me as the voice of my Axtell Hands Free Chimp. She puts the instructions in the hands of the chimp and our routine is structured around a reluctant reader who's learning to do a trick. So while the VB might be old I think that we do have an original slant on it.

jeff (man with cheesy website)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 17:34, The Great Smartini wrote: I don't want to be doing the same thing that everyone else is doing.

I use standard props but I'm not doing anything close to what anyone else is doing. Even with those props.

Should Whit Hayden stop performing his "teaching" act because it uses standard props? Is Whit a hack and a duffer and a weekend warrior 'cuz he just uses a newspaper, a silk, an egg, a couple rings, and a rope?

I don't think so.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Jeff,

Please don't take anything personal - I was just yanking your chain!

Always remember, it is not what magicians think is cheesey (effects or web site) it is what your paying audience thinks.

I feel like a "magic pole dancer" everytime I do POM POM - when it is left out - there is always someone who ask why didn't you do .... I really like it!

For me, bottom line is that I am a monkey and they are paying me to dance. In the end, the green spends the same.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
In my last show, I pulled out the Coloring Book and immediately heard "I know that one!" and even "I've got that one!" Fortunately, I read "Seriously Silly" and was able to save myself with two things almost verbatim from Mr. Kaye:

First, his lines: "So did you like that one? Do you want to play it again with me?" Of course they did!

Second, his routine, with a slight shift at the end because the kids didn't like that they had erased my book. So we re-drew them.

Had a great time!
Ed
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Nice work Ed. You turned that one right around. I could see a younger version of myself putting that coloring book away with an embarassed "sorry." You gave them entertainment!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
"So did you like that one? Do you want to play it again with me?"

Awesome!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-12-10 00:45, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 17:34, The Great Smartini wrote: I don't want to be doing the same thing that everyone else is doing.

I use standard props but I'm not doing anything close to what anyone else is doing. Even with those props.

Should Whit Hayden stop performing his "teaching" act because it uses standard props? Is Whit a hack and a duffer and a weekend warrior 'cuz he just uses a newspaper, a silk, an egg, a couple rings, and a rope?

I don't think so.

Frank,

I don't disagree with you on either of these points nor would I want to suggest that either you or Whit are hacks. For every position there are examples that can be provided as evidence against. Still, you miss the point of my post which really is why would I want to you use standard props? Why wouldn't I want everything possible in my act to be unique? You don't need to do anything different but when so many magicians use the same standard props, canned patter, rehearse inadequately I find that my response is to try and not look anything like this. Now this is an ideal to shoot for and some of my stuff isn't what I'd like it to be but it's a work in progress as I move mysel along the performing continuum.

Jeff
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That comment would not fit my character at all. Not saying it's bad. It's not. But I know that I cannot use it.

I do have a comeback for that remark that is very funny, especially to the adults but it's not quite so friendly Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-12-10 19:29, Frank Starsini wrote:
That comment would not fit my character at all. Not saying it's bad. It's not. But I know that I cannot use it.

I do have a comeback for that remark that is very funny, especially to the adults but it's not quite so friendly Smile

It really is all about character and my thinking might not match your character or magic viewpoint.

As for the comeback...send it to me as PM I'm a big fan of adult/dark/unfriendly humour!

jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cheesy Magic...what's on your list? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL