The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Gimmicked String (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2680 Posts

Profile of John Long
I would like to make some gimmicked string, as one might use for a linking ropes effect, but to allow other objects to link to the seemingly innocent string, in a close up effect.

I have some ~1/16" diameter M's, but string doesn't have a core, and unravelin/ re-raveling has been nothing but frustrating. I could use a small diameter rope instead, but I'm not sure it could look ungimmick while close up.

Any thoughts?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8517 Posts

Profile of funsway
If you use yarn dipped in rubber cement, then mushed about to make it flexible the overlapping ends can be pressed together very convincingly. Of course, any other string-rings will have to be treated with something else to match the appearance.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You have to decide what is important to you. Matching a string you own to a magnet, or matching the magnet to a string, or how important is it that you re-invent the wheel when it won't truly matter to your audience.
I would suggest you might use beads rather than string, or jewelry roping (metal string), which has magnetic jewelry findings that will not be suspicious.
There are some great magnetic clasps available. You could match those with metal beads that are close to it.
Doll beads are also available, they pop together rather than magnets.
------
When bruce Kalver did his linking bracelets, he had no problem having "obvious" jewelry joints in his bangle rings. Since the spectator was allowed to inspect (some of) them, the gaff was ignored.
You can make your metallic linking effect (which I might make, just to try it), and with proper yet standard linking rope style handling, could be a great little effect.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2680 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks for the thoughts.

Funsway: I could see how yarn could work, it's fuzzy enough that the ends could blend together. Yet, yarn might raise the question "why yarn"; I think string is more common looking, and hopefully less suscpicious as a result.

Ian: I had looked at such bracelets for other effects, but for what I want to do, bracelets would not be appropriate as a replacement for the sting (since I will want to *slide* a ring up and down its length, but they could be used in place of the rings them selves. Yet, similarly to above, the emphasis of this trick will be the message, and I don't want the props to be inconsistant with that message, or distract from it. (the ring, linked to the string, is to represent a tightrope walker, walking across the rope/string, a second ring (linked to the first) is to represent the tightrope walker carrying another man (the true story involves 2 men)). I'm not familiar with what you termed metal string, do you have a link to that?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Metal roping not metal rings.
Roping is like a necklace, barrel shaped and very flexible, more so than rope.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2680 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ok, I'm still not familiar with that stuff.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians

rope chain comes in all colors
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2680 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ahhh, now that could work; I have to look for it.

thanks
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
It comes in lots of colors, you put your own clasp on it. They have barrel twist clasps, or magnetic socket clasps. I am of the opinion that even if you show that this is a necklace or bracelet, that a quick magnetic clasp would fool them.
The jewelry theme might make sense as well. A ring and a necklace has a lot of patter possibilities.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Cool!

The wife is a jewelry designer. She just now mentioned this. Coincidence.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Gimmicked String (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL