The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis as one of the best cures for insomnia? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I've had much success with this statement for getting Volunteers to be Hypnotised. I even teach them Self Hypnosis as an Induction as part of the Routine, the Magnetic Palm to Forehead Induction.

Some have tried it at home on their own and have gotten themselves asleep easily...

Any thoughts on this to make it better?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
That's find for those of you who are also hypnotherapists, but I think people who are just Stage Hypnotists (or budding ones like myself) should stay well clear of using words like "cure" anywhere in their show.

But from my limited knowledge, it sounds like a good thing and something you have already tried out and gained some success from it. So I think that you are the one who can judge it better than anyone as that is what you do.

I have no idea how you do your shows: Are they billed as straightforward Stage Hypnosis? Or just experiments in and with hypnosis were you mix entertainment and therapy?

If a straightforward piece of entertainment as long as you can keep the self-hypnosis teaching entertaining and as you have said use it as a part of the induction itself, then it's a good bonus to give to those taking part. Something helpful that they can take away with them as well as the feeling good.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Here in the U.S., only an MD or licensed medical professional can claim to have made a cure. Of course, they cure nothing, they only help the body cure itself, but they give politicians lots of money so they are the only ones with the right to legally use the term.

Be that as it may, Shrubsole is, IMO, quite right. For example, Pakar you're saying that you've cured insomnia. Respectfully, that's just not possible. Insomnia is not a disease, it's a symptom. Although it's most common causes are stress or a dramatic change in schedule, it can also be caused by severe psychological problems, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression, or physiological diseases including brain tumors, COPD, asthma, heart disease, strokes, apnea, etc. There are many other causes, too.

Pakar, did you check with the physician whose insomnia you "cured" for the exact diagnosis? Did your removal of the symptom, insomnia, result in disguising a more severe problem? With the wonderful work you did result in more intense psychological or physiological problems, perhaps even death?

Unless you have studied hypnotherapy, I strongly urge you to cease your "cures" as they may cause more problems for the person you think you helped and a possible lawsuit or even criminal charge against you. Hypnotherapy is NOT stage hypnosis. Hypnosis is easy to learn. What you do with hypnotherapy AFTER a person is hypnotized can take hundreds or thousands of hours of training and study just to begin to learn. To do hypnotherapy without such training is, IMO, foolish and dangerous.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 23:56, dmkraig wrote:
Here in the U.S., only an MD or licensed medical professional can claim to have made a cure. Of course, they cure nothing, they only help the body cure itself, but they give politicians lots of money so they are the only ones with the right to legally use the term.

Be that as it may, Shrubsole is, IMO, quite right. For example, Pakar you're saying that you've cured insomnia. Respectfully, that's just not possible. Insomnia is not a disease, it's a symptom. Although it's most common causes are stress or a dramatic change in schedule, it can also be caused by severe psychological problems, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression, or physiological diseases including brain tumors, COPD, asthma, heart disease, strokes, apnea, etc. There are many other causes, too.

Pakar, did you check with the physician whose insomnia you "cured" for the exact diagnosis? Did your removal of the symptom, insomnia, result in disguising a more severe problem? With the wonderful work you did result in more intense psychological or physiological problems, perhaps even death?

Unless you have studied hypnotherapy, I strongly urge you to cease your "cures" as they may cause more problems for the person you think you helped and a possible lawsuit or even criminal charge against you. Hypnotherapy is NOT stage hypnosis. Hypnosis is easy to learn. What you do with hypnotherapy AFTER a person is hypnotized can take hundreds or thousands of hours of training and study just to begin to learn. To do hypnotherapy without such training is, IMO, foolish and dangerous.

Good take. I love hypnosis but it never helped me with insomnia.

PS: 3:40 am do you know where your hypnotherapist is?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks for all the great advice. I will consider it.

Probably the use of the word "cure" here seems to be the issue. Especially since in America its use is a highly legislated issue.

I should have probably used "may or may not help to ease someone to go to sleep", which would have been safer, legally imho.. My fault.

I did some Hypnotherapy training (as you had advised me to, dmkraig Smile ) but certainly don't have hundreds of hours of research or practise yet.

Anyway, thanks for the insights. Appreciated.

Smile
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Pakar, I believe you're not in the U.S. So in your location, the use of the term "cure" may be fine. You have to check your local laws. Here in the U.S., it would be illegal and hypnotherapists moving from state to state in the U.S. have to watch their language. In some states they can't use the term "hypnotherapist." On organization uses the expression "consulting hypnotist" instead, which makes me think of Sherlock Holmes. That, however, is a different issue.

Pakar, if you know someone fairly well, helping them to sleep with hypnosis is fine. However there is a difference between helping someone who is having trouble sleeping and someone with insomnia. While lay people will use "insomnia" to describe not getting to sleep, professionals--such as yourself--give words explicit meanings. Insomnia is far more than difficulty falling asleep occasionally.

As I pointed out, real insomnia is only a symptom. With hypnotherapy, as I understand it, the goal is to treat the cause and thus alleviate the symptom rather than treating the symptom and leaving the cause. If you help someone get to sleep even though their insomnia is caused by a tumor, you may be the cause of the person not getting immediate treatment and more serious consequences.

There is an expression used among medical professionals: scope of practice. Here in the U.S., treating real insomnia is outside of a hypnotherapist's scope of practice without receiving a referral from a licensed M.D. Unless you are trained and licensed in medicine, I would suggest that it is not a good idea to go outside of your scope of practice even it is legal in your area.

For stage hypnosis, getting a basic training, IMO, is all a person may need, although he or she may choose to get additional trainings. For hypnotherapy, such as treating insomnia, I would respectfully recommend yearly trainings along with book study. I am a member of three professional hypnotherapy associations. All require that you do some sort of training or study each year to maintain your membership. One requires you to send in a videotape showing that you have mastered techniques.

Finally, I would add that although taking trainings and reading additional books should theoretically help someone become a better hypnotherapist, it doesn't always work that way. Therefore, being a member of professional hypnotherapy organizations at best indicates interest and dedication; it cannot show quality or capability.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks dmkraig...

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis as one of the best cures for insomnia? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL