The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » David Copperfield's Project Magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I am trying to generate interest in the Healing of Magic program to my therapist friends at pediatric hospitals in my area with no luck so far. Though I would love to volunteer the time for this worthwile cause, I am instead planning on going back to a clinical position soon, at least part time, so I can deliver some therapeutic magic once again.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
If anybody is currently working with Copperfield's "Project Magic," please Private Message me. I'm eager to learn your impressions of their administration, training and infrastructure.

Looking forward to your impressions, and thank you in advance for your time.
------------

We could have been practicing!
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I can't believe its been a year since my last post on this thread. I am still holding fast to the Healing of Magic Program as a driving method for using performance art as a care approach as a RN and care provider. I have added other performance skills like music, comedy and even went to clown school in 2012 to increase the therapeutic tools to provide a caring model using multiple performing arts. visit http://www.MagicNurse.com for the latest or check out my facebook "MagicNurse Rob" I appreciate any advice and comments that may help me keep improving.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
derrenshowman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of derrenshowman
David is a living legend ..
slyrich
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of slyrich
Also check out breatheahr.org.uk (off the top of my head) which is a uk based charity using magic to help kids through their physio treatment... Practising magic tricks rather than normal exercises for kids with motor skills issues. Is still a work in progress, but is very exciting...
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Was sent to camp many time in the 40s & early 50s - Dad left,. Mom couldn't work so was sent as a welfare child -- I"m now trying to promote a program where ALL the proceeds will send a youth to camp- hope it works- - idea is open to all you guys.
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
The full reference to Slyrich's reference is

http://www.breathahr.org

and is well- worth viewing.

How does anyone contact the magicians and juggler involved in this video, please ?

And, does Copperfield still operate his 'Project Magic' ? If so, where? All the references provided in this forum lead to a blank wall of non-response? Anyone have current contact details, please?
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I have my first meeting with the occupatioal therapy dept. of my local hospital on Jan 22nd. I have been a volunteer in the hospital's dog therapy program for about 2 years and rehab is a part of our usual route so I am already known as a magician. After talking to Kevin Spencer (Great Guy) and receiving the healing of magic info package, I approached the head of O.T. with the idea. It has taken over a year to set up an introductory meeting (to be fair the hospital was getting ready to relocate to a new building)but everyone seems very responsive to the idea. I'll keep you posted.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
[quote]On 2012-11-16 20:06, madelaine wrote:
does Copperfield still operate his 'Project Magic' ? If so, where? /quote]

A google search turned up this:

Project Magic
3707 SW 6th Ave
Topeka KS. 66606
1-785-270-4610
10am - 5pm

You should also check out Kevin Spencer's Program "The Healing Of Magic"
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
Hi,Daryl the brother...I tried this address...no response whatsoever....like it never existed - which is why I asked around in the Magic Café.
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
My experience of 'Project Magic' is that it is a chimera, a fantasy. It does not exist. All my queries to Project Magic meet with a very big 'No response'...Nobody is home. My conclusion is the administration has been dissolved... it no longer exists as an organisational entity and there are no staff to operate anything. There is nothing to operate.

It is the 'real' illusion... In true Copperfield mode? Copperfield currently allows the illusion to be maintained that 'Project Magic' is a real, flesh and blood, on-going, living, pulsing enterprise in which magicians and health professional are collaborating to create 'healing'.

This is a false view, an illusion...just like Copperfield's creation of the 'disappearance of the statue of liberty'. Today, there are no business premises of Project Magic responding via living, flesh and blood people who write emails, answer phones and generally act as if Project Magic does the things some people think it does. Project Magic is history. Today it no longer exists.

Today, 'Project Magic' is not real, and has not been real since Copperfield's last public reference to it in 2007. Project Magic has been a lifeless corpse for the last five years. The first and main people publically associated with Project Magic way back in the last decade of the last century no longer associate with Project Magic: David Copperfield, Julie Dejean and Christie Plank who co-authored the rehabilitative programme called 'Project Magic', today have no active interest in this programme.

Today, this rehabilitative programme may be conducted by anonymous, separate individuals, isolated and unorganised as to any developmental structure. Additonally, there has been no institutionalised backing of 'Project Magic' for the last five years:the David Freeman Memorial Hospital and the Carondelet Rehabilitation Centres of America which provided the original institutional support (buildings and staff) no longer do so... they quit doing so several years ago. Consequently, there are no offices for/of 'Project Magic'.

The words 'Project Magic' DO still appear on David Copperfield's website! Even though the organisation has been defunct for so long! They appear with advertisements for his shows and for his property ventures. Remember though, a website is a website: while it may imply the existence of actual bricks and mortar buildings and flesh and blood people working away behind the website, this is not the case with 'Project Magic'.

With 'Project Magic' NOBODY IS HOME ! It's an illusion .. there is nothing, no organisational framework, no people, no project mission, no strategy, no goals, no targets, no annual reports.....There is not one person taking responsibility for any action or inaction of 'Project Magic', because 'Project Magic' does not exist.

Magicians in this forum and elsewhere, and occupational therapists, hand therapists, doctors, nurses and others expecting or hoping to incorporate some of the practices of magical effects into rehabilitation would be wise to look elsewhere.

For example, in the work and resources of Cindy and Kevin Spencer - Healing of Magic - from
info@MagicTherapy.com who operate out of Lynchburg, VA. Like the original Copperfield 'Project Magic', the Spencer's have written material openly available to all interested.

And in the work of Debbie and Cody Fisher who conduct 'Rehabracadabra' - using magic as a therapeutic modality course...primarily for members of the medical/physical health professions and welcoming of magicians attending also. The Fishers work out of Austin, TX.Contact http://www.debbiefisher.org

In 2013 it is to people such as the Spencers and to the Fishers that folk need to look for leadership in this area of creating and developing collaborations and alliances between the art of magic and health care. David Copperfield took a great initiative in creating the first collaborations and he needs to be thanked for it. He era in this matter has been over for quite awhile and it is time this was announced and the next phase of collaborative action between magicians and health professionals promoted openly and widely.

Currently there is still the smell of a dead corpse in this matter..., and this is not healthy.
Gord
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Gord
Smile
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
I have found the same thing.
I have tried to email &/or call everyone metioned, & nothing.
JackDaniels
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of JackDaniels
Hi guys, just came across this. Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck with Project Magic.
I have been running Project Magic Australia for just over 1 1/2 years now. When I started I must admit it wasn't easy to find
someone to talk to and learn how to introduce the program. Spoke to Kevin a few times and he was great to assist me and inform me of his own program.
Since then I have been in contact with several people mostly in the states who are running the program. Project Magic Mexico is going very strong as they have been our mentor.
We have introduced it to at least 5 different organisations since April 2012 and currently looking at branching it out to other groups.
If you do need some assistance feel free to contact us. Even though we are in Australia, if we can help you we will try. http://www.facebook.com/projectmagicaustralia
magicalevents
View Profile
New user
So. Cal.
1 Post

Profile of magicalevents
Please check out http://projectmagic.org/

The site has basic info and contact information for Project Magic, as well as information about the Project Magic Handbook. This is an excellent resource, written by Richard Kauffman.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » David Copperfield's Project Magic (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL