The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Pulling a rabbit out of a hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Where would you go to learn how to pull a rabbit out of a top hat? I am trying to get into old time magic. 1880 style magic.
Any good books or tapes?
Keven
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Would this be stand up or would you have a table?

I think there are a couple of rabbit productions in Tarbell. I would suggest you do a search for this topic.

Lee
denny_Corby
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
240 Posts

Profile of denny_Corby
That trick has been exposed on national TV. A lot of people know how its done.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
In nearly 40 years of magic, I don't guess I've ever actually seen this performed. I always thought it was a fable.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Well you see I work at a ghost town and I do all sorts of things there . It's not that people know the trick, it's that The trick is being done by a 1880's magician. That's what they will see, and lots of things have been done on TV and people don't have a clue. Smile
Magicrma
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
101 Posts

Profile of Magicrma
The Tarbell Course, I believe Vol. 5, has a selection of rabbit from hat productions. Some using props, some not. The Trick is still an attention getter.

MagicRMA Smile
"The art of Illusion is at least 95% applied psychology" Henning Nelms (Magic & Showmanship)
<BR>
<BR>MagicRMA
<BR>Majicrma@msn.com
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Why thank you guys . You have been a big help to me . I have looked all over. Thanks
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Doesn't it always happen this way? About the time I posted that I had never seen this trick performed, I tuned in to "Magic Road Trip" on the Travel Channel last night, and some guy from Gettysburg, PA did it.

Is that what they call "deja vu all over again"?

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
There are some ideas in "Magic and Showmanship" by Nelms, a cheap book which everyone should have. Even Mark Wilson's book has production boxes which would work.

I have several friends who produce a rabbit from a doll house. It's shown empty then with a rabbit inside.
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Do you guys have any ideas on 1880s magicians? What other tricks, stunts they might have done?
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Re. old magicians programs.- try the Learned Pig.
There are loads of books on the acts of Chung ling Soo, Max Malini, Charles Bertram, Robert-Houdin. etc.
Eddie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27088 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Keven, They came in wagons and did not stay long. Some made rain, some brought wonders.
The newspapers and correspondance of the area and time would have some answers for you. Many of that time and area saw rabbits as vermin. Perhaps vanishing a rabbit would go over better?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
How about pulling a hat out of a rabbit!

Hahaha!

Oh wait...that is so gross.

chris
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Quote:
On 2003-06-21 06:16, eddieloughran wrote:
Re. old magicians programs.- try the Learned Pig.
There are loads of books on the acts of Chung ling Soo, Max Malini, Charles Bertram, Robert-Houdin. etc.
Eddie

I like that I will have to look into that Smile
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-06-21 12:30, Seismic wrote:
How about pulling a hat out of a rabbit!

Hahaha!

Oh wait...that is so gross.

chris

What end would you pull it out of?

Lee
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The reason that the pulling a rabbit out of the hat isn't used so much anymore (besides the fact that that's all laymen think we do) is that magicians used to pull rabbits out by their ears. Would you like to be pull out of a hat by YOUR ears? It may hurt, i'll have to get back to you on that one though.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5345 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dave that is not exactly correct.

It was the rare magician who pulled a rabbit out of a hat (or anywhere) by its ears! Magicians at the turn of the Last century were much more animal aware than modern magicians. Hey, animals of all kinds (chickens, ducks, rabbits, pigs, and horses) could be found in cities in those days. People raised them for food (and used horses for transportation). I am sure that the odd magician did pick a rabbit up by its ears (I have a photo of Houdini holding a rabbit that appears as if he is picking it up by its ears. However, closer look and you see that Houdini is holding the rabbit under the body with one hand and holding the ears up in the other. It gives the appearance that the rabbit is being lifted by the ears but is not.)

The real reason that you don’t see the rabbit from the hat trick anymore is because men don’t wear hats anymore! It is hard to find a top hat or even a fedora in an audience today. The best one can do is finding a guy who is wearing a baseball cap. I use Flemish Giants and their hind legs would not fit into a ball cap. In fact my Rabbit wears a ball cap in the show!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
GFord
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
53 Posts

Profile of GFord
I used the Rabbit out of the hat many years ago & always found the audience reaction to be very good. Took it right out of Tarbell. Later I went to the spring rabbits from magic shops. While not as strong as the live production you can have a lot of fun with these altho though they would not be "period". Spring rabbits also have the advantage of not urinating etc all over your props, an important point. Cannon balls were another item pulled from hats back then. I remember seeing an old one (hollow) at Joe Berg's magic shop in Hollywood in the 1960's. Another good source in addition to Tarbell and the wonderful things to be found at The Learned Pig Project (which, by the way includes many old programs of magicians that will help you) would be Professor Hoffmann's Modern Magic. A cheap edition is available from Dover. Recently Stanyon's Magic magazine (1900-1920) has become available on DVD and is an excellent source at a good price. Good luck!
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
You guy are so much help . I really do thank you ....
Skinny Man
View Profile
New user
UK
72 Posts

Profile of Skinny Man
My dad used to do a 'rabbit-out-of-a-cereal-box' effect, which went down very well at my 7th birthday party!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Pulling a rabbit out of a hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL