We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Pulling a rabbit out of a hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Spider
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Spider
U.F. Grant and Don Tanner wrote a booklet many years ago called "Tricks with Hares". There are 8 different rabbit productions in this cheap booklet, all of them very usable. I bought it 35 years ago for $2, and it is probably still available if you search some of the old magic stores like Magic Inc. and Tannens. Both of those stores have websites.

The Tarbell course has it, naturally, as do these off the top of my head:

101 Easy-to-Learn Magic Tricks (aka 101 Easy-to-Do Magic Tricks) by Bill Tarr -- several different loading ideas

Modern Magic Manual, by Jean Hugard (wonderful old book on nearly all things magical) -- several different loading ideas

Complete Course In Magic, by Mark Wilson -- Build Wilson's Allakazam Hat (a Square Circle Top Hat) on page 380, and you have the easiest way. Jon

Smile
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I think pulling a rabbit out of a hat is still a great effect. Just don't use the one I have seen for sale where it is an ugly scary rabbit. I've still never found why anyone would want to use it. Just my opinion.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Conus
You might try pulling the rabbit from a newspaper. (See Greater Magic.)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The man wants an 1880s style effect, so he will be wearing an old tail suit (I would guess) and have a top hat.

It is an easy thing to do with a bit of misdirection.

I worked one out once by moving a chair out of the way to get the bunny...

Fred Kaps used to have a cane that sprouted a pair of ears... and he would produce a rabbit without a hat or any cover at all... (Jay Marshall owns the prop now). Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I pattern One of my entire shows around pulling a rabbit from a hat! It builds through the whole show and before the climax act I successfully produce a live rabbit from a hat in center stage. By the time I produce it the audience is so eager for me to succeed that they get very excited when I finally do.
I find the audiences love it!
If you want to know more, PM me.
It's too lengthy to get into here.
Smile
Daniel Faith
BearMage
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, MI
26 Posts

Profile of BearMage
Roy Kissel taught me a method once involving a cardboard box, a top hat and a hat coil. It's not exactly pulling the rabbit out of the hat but it's a hoot.
Prior to Roy's idea, I used a Tarbell's method to load the live rabbit from my stand. Trouble was, she (the rabbit not my assistant) kept peeking out of the hat just before production. Ham rabbit!
Otherwise, I concur with the other posts about Tarbell's and other sources. Smile
Good luck,

Bear
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it was made. We have lost as much as we gained by
prying into that matter."
Mark Twain
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anything without the use of a bag is good for me cause that is one thing my rabbit detest. I know there is a method for a cardboard box floating around out there somewheres.

I've been thinking of just using lots of misdirection and lots and lots of silks. Just have the rabbit in a box under a table and reach down with the silks to scoop him up placing him in the hat etc. Of course the idea of trying to load the silks all in the hat first is a must.
Brother Kotah
View Profile
New user
wWsconsin
45 Posts

Profile of Brother Kotah
Ron Fable, capable performer from Milwaukee, WI produced his huge rabbit 'Larry' as one of the highlights of his performance for years The sheer size of the rabbit made the production memorable. It also didn't hurt that Ron is an excellent performer and showman.
He who sees strangely
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-06-18 11:39, denny_Corby wrote:
That trick has been exposed on national TV. A lot of people know how its done.

There are at least a dozen methods for this. I even had a method that made it look like I pulled the rabbit out of the hat, and it was NEVER in there.

Don't let an exposure a long time ago of ONE method for accomplishing a trick that has many methods keep you from doing your own version of it.

My method used no bag.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1609 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I do the rabbit from hat with no hanging bags or body steal. This method can be done surrounded without any fear of anyone seeing the load. Actually, you don't load the rabbit.
Richard Lyn
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anywhere I can find this Richard?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
"Magicians at the turn of the last century were much more animal aware than modern magicians."

I remember reading about a magician years ago that killed a bird everytime he did the vanishing bird cage. He was accused of this so he had a person examine a bird, he vanished it then he reapeared it, the man who examined it said it was the same bird although it was a duplicate and the real one was dead!

Matt
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Not a good thing....plenty of good effects without hurting an innocent creature.

So far, I've had no casualties, not even an goldfish.
One show I performed outdoors in 95 degree temp and the goldfish made it through fine and stayed in a tiny bowl (shade) after my production. A kid even put grass in the bowl which really got me going.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If I were going to pull a rabbit out of a hat, I'd use the first method described on page 37 of "McComb's Magic, 25 Years Wiser" by Billy McComb.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There is also a good method with an assistant that was in the Conjurer's Magazine by Buddy Cole (Jack Gwyene's son in law).

The Tarbell method is very good and still plays well. If I wanted to produce rabbit, I would do it out of top hat as people expect it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Which Tarbell volume Richard?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tarbell #5 has a lot of hat productions. The rabbit from ribbons is the closest to what I am familar with.

The Buddy Cole production is in the Jack Gwyene book on page 198. It orginally appearred in Genii, November 1942 issue.

I would also reference you to the Bunny Book by Francis Marshall. It is a good cross reference.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Richard.

Abbotts emailed me about their special rabbit hat.

The Rabbit Hat load chamber is 5" high x 7" long x 6 1/2" wide.
The price is $50.00. It is in stock.

They also replied the hat can be briefly shown empty prior to the production. Has me curious.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2003-07-01 08:26, sleightofhand1 wrote:
I think pulling a rabbit out of a hat is still a great effect. Just don't use the one I have seen for sale where it is an ugly scary rabbit. I've still never found why anyone would want to use it. Just my opinion.

If you are referring to "rabbid" the ugly scarry rubber production rabbit:
Then I always thought they were trying to copy the "Bullwinkle" cartoon, where he went to pull the rabbit out of the hat, and got something scarry with big teeth.
It was a running gag. I found this youtube link. I actually have not seen the cartoons since I was a kid. And I don't think the kids would understand it if you tried it. Unless they are 'bullwinkle' fans, and you play it up like Bullwinkle did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEkbIHlV1E

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
And Daytona has a 'Rabbit Hutch' where you put a wooden flat hat in a dagger type chest, but you have a magic wand instead of a dagger.
You do it in reverse, and produce a real rabbit.
I have one I never use, for sale if anyone wants it.
pm me

ACE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Pulling a rabbit out of a hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL