The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Chinese Fan Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources for Chinese fan productions. The only material I have been able to come across has been the Fan Dance in the Wakeling book. It's a fantastic routine but I was wondering if there was anything else out there. Thanks!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There was some stuff written up in a Genii Magazine years ago.

For sheer movement and blocking, get the movie "Ziegfield Follies" with Fred Astarie. I just picked up for a couple of bucks. But there is a very nice fan dance that might give you some ideas.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To answer your question directly from a magic source point of view, No!

There has been magical entertainers presenting this type of effects with oriental fans but nothing published. Shoot Ogawa comes to mind in his spots on YouTube and there have been FISM contestants producing oriential fans over the years.

It is something that has to be worked out using misdirection and manipulation techniques.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I have a routine with fans but I had to create all my own moves and productions.

Its taken 4 years but I now have a lot of fan magic! Just expeiriment yourself. You will be amazed with what you can come up with.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Hug ,
I never confirmed this with Alan, but I think Alan's Fan sequence was largely inspired by that film and specific sequence you mentioned (Lime house Blues). It came out a year or so before Alan developed that act. I also seem to recall that Alan's mother in law worked for MGM during that time.

There actually is a lecture note set put out by a Spanish magician in the 70's which outlined and taught a series of Small fan productions. The fans were about 6" long as I recall. I cannot recall tha lecturer, but the Magic Castle has (had) a set of the notes.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
JNeal, are you speaking of the late 'Vic Jahn' from Holland I believe. He put out a very pref note on the producing small 3" fans. He also sold them, but I never got around to purchasing them. They are mentioned in his notes. It was kind of a Miser's Dream priduction as I remember. I have my books and lecture notes in a trunk so I cannot get to them easily.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Yeah, I assumed there wouldn't be much material on this, but thought I should ask anyways. I seems that many of the same methods for loads and steals are similar to parasol productions. I'm going to play around with these methods for a while to see if I can develop a routine for myself and my daughter. For now, I have found a very interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KocQcjdmek

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it was to "Limehouse Blues". That is an interesting idea that it influenced Alan. It is a very visual sequence. If I remember correctly, Harry Blackstone Jr. used the same music for his "Chinese Segment" which also had a fan seqment.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Wmhegbil, Yes I think it was Viggo Jahn now that you mention it. Viggo Jahn was an expert manipulator who among other things, manipulated cane tips like thimbles

Kent Wong, I used to do a fan prodcution bit many years ago and part of the technique was leveraging the fan to open by itself from a "flipstick' position. This was accomplished by having a "D" ring at the hinge point and using my thumb or middle finger (depending on which way the fan was to open) press down on the small end and causing a rapid expansion of the fan. Kinda' tough to explain in words but a very small action produced a big result.
Good luck!
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
trycks.
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of trycks.
Keiko muto has a fan and bell routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQjyxIIXcY
also shoot ogawa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0XOagxhZLg
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 00:46, JNeal wrote:
I used to do a fan prodcution bit many years ago and part of the technique was leveraging the fan to open by itself from a "flipstick' position. This was accomplished by having a "D" ring at the hinge point and using my thumb or middle finger (depending on which way the fan was to open) press down on the small end and causing a rapid expansion of the fan. Kinda' tough to explain in words but a very small action produced a big result.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to give this a try and see if I can get the positioning right.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Kent,
my description was a little weak, so here is an image I drew this morning to help you

Attached jpg

Click here to view attached image.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
JNeal, your an accomplished illistrator as well. Very nicely proportioned drawing. Nice handling, as I mentioned previously, it takes someone with a little genius (like JNeil to come up with a workable method) to work out the handling.

I purchased many years ago self opening fans from Abbott's Magic. They attached a spring to the outer arms and attached the spring to 'D' ring. Now they open quickly, but keeping them closed until the production poses another problem.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have made self opening fans with silks on the ribs not a full fan per say. The hard part is keeping them closed. I found a tube worked well to slide them out of. Solid tube on a table or a cloth tube for the body.

I would also suggest that you look at the work Karl Germain did with the flags and flag tiers. It might give you some ideas.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thank you Wmhegbil! BTW- I like your new photo avatar!
Hug- thant's a great suggestion about Germain. He was brilliant and the ideas in those books by Cramer deserve reviving. Anyone for the "Chameleons" ala Germain?

JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Where could one purchase the types of fans used in the Wakeling routine ?

Thanks

Oliver.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 16:41, Oliver Ross wrote:
Where could one purchase the types of fans used in the Wakeling routine ?
Thanks
Oliver.

The Gold/Silver foil fans were available in 1981 at stores that sold accessories for the home. They were also available from some magic dealers back then. I have not seen them since. So unfortunately the answer to your question is no where currently. The best thing to do is find a Chinese store and look for them fans there that may work.

If you live in a large city, then the chances you will find something you can use.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Try this site.

http://silkfans.com/

Great quality, great sellections and the prices are good.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thanks for your help.

Oliver.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Darkwing,

Have you worked with those fans in the link you provided ? How easy are they to open up with one hand ?

Thanks again.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Chinese Fan Productions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL