The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shipping Companies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Hi Guys,
We are going to be performing some illusions in Seattle at the end of march and I am looking to find the most economical way of shipping the props. Are there any companies that you would recommend? I am in Los Angeles
Taylor
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Forward Air is usually the cheapest. You drop off at the depot and pick up on the other end. A Note of caution: I had an account with for over 7 years before they damaged FIVE cases in a row. When they fought every claim, I cancelled my account with them. You may have better luck. Now I use "CGL". They have been very good to me!

Jack
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
109 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
Freightquote.com will give you comparison bids from a least a dozen shippers. I've been very happy with their service. Also Baxglobal.com is a great mission critical company, not always the best price but great service.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The multinational I worked for always used Bax global, especially for critical shipments where big $$$ were involved on our end.

B
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I was told Bax will NOT come to a home.

Jack
BtheDreamer
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BtheDreamer
I almost always use Forward Air to ship my props around and they do a good job. It is usually the same guy that comes to our house and he is super nice!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
UBID.com is the ebay of shipping. You put the size and weight of what your shipping, where it's going, and when you need it there. Then individual truckers will bid for your business (they have feedback like ebay and everything). I am sure L.A. to Seattle is a very popular route. I had a thin model sawing and a shadow box shipped from L.A. to my house in Portland Or. for 100 bucks using them!

Good luck,

Scott
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Gotta love the U.S. to U.S., shipping rates. The cross border kills (at least it did!).

B
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
As point of reference, UPS and Fed EX will both be going up 5% the first of the year again,.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 08:21, hugmagic wrote:
As point of reference, UPS and Fed EX will both be going up 5% the first of the year again,.

Richard

So what you're saying is, it will now cost more for these 2 shippers to destroy your goods:)
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 08:21, hugmagic wrote:

Richard

So what you're saying is, it will now cost more for these 2 shippers to destroy your goods:)
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Thank you all so much!!!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I've used Forward Air and Fed Ex Freight over the years. Forward air is less expensive but, a hassle. You have to drop off the cases, have them weighed .. then leave to get a money order for payment. No checks, no cash, no credit .. money orders only. I've got an account with Fed Ex and they have a dock near by .. so, it's pretty simple.

Another option to consider is by train. My good friend David Seebach has done this many times. You can look him up online if that interests you.

Steve
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Forward Air always did a good job for me. Good packing, however is the shipper's job and damaged ATA cases are to be expected == so unless you put an ARA case inside an ATA case......

One of the more interesting conversations I even sat in on was one between Andre Kole and Franz Herrari pn how they got their equipment around. Kole was an advocate of one chow with props shipped just on time delivery -- repairing damage n the spot if need be. Franz advocated (at that time) multiple shows of the same props being shipped ahead "hopscotch" style.

When it got down to brass tacks costs between the two were very similar (comparing express for Kole, ground for Herrari plus props) at the end of a season. However, my feeling was that the emotional tax paid by Kole was greater than that for the multiple shows in the props could look patched or too simple -- or have to be eliminated from a show based upon timing. Anything broken from the multiple show props, if not immediately fixable fist class, could have a duplicate expressed in.

When it finally came down to it -- though - my personal experience was to truck and trailer in my own props in my own truck and trailer. I limited myself to dates I could easily and economically drive to in the rig (50 MPH figured as speed plus stops.) I at most times kept a back-up effect at my Tucson Headquarters just in case. Using my population base and health decline toward the end of my bigger presentations, I tried to limit my dates to a ten hour drive -- which picked up the area between Alberquerque and Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Flagstaff and a multi-million person population base and corporations and fund raisers to pay the bills.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 13:40, chmara wrote:
Forward Air always did a good job for me. Good packing, however is the shipper's job and damaged ATA cases are to be expected == so unless you put an ARA case inside an ATA case......

One of the more interesting conversations I even sat in on was one between Andre Kole and Franz Herrari pn how they got their equipment around. Kole was an advocate of one chow with props shipped just on time delivery -- repairing damage n the spot if need be. Franz advocated (at that time) multiple shows of the same props being shipped ahead "hopscotch" style.

When it got down to brass tacks costs between the two were very similar (comparing express for Kole, ground for Herrari plus props) at the end of a season. However, my feeling was that the emotional tax paid by Kole was greater than that for the multiple shows in the props could look patched or too simple -- or have to be eliminated from a show based upon timing. Anything broken from the multiple show props, if not immediately fixable fist class, could have a duplicate expressed in.

When it finally came down to it -- though - my personal experience was to truck and trailer in my own props in my own truck and trailer. I limited myself to dates I could easily and economically drive to in the rig (50 MPH figured as speed plus stops.) I at most times kept a back-up effect at my Tucson Headquarters just in case. Using my population base and health decline toward the end of my bigger presentations, I tried to limit my dates to a ten hour drive -- which picked up the area between Alberquerque and Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Flagstaff and a multi-million person population base and corporations and fund raisers to pay the bills.

It depends on what you call "damage". I don't mind a ding, small dent, or gouge, and naturally moderate scratches. When an ATA is crushed, fork lift penetration, several casters ripped off....this is where I draw the line.
I wouldn't mind so much but after having an account with F. A. for over 7 years, I would expect to be treated like a "valuable customer" when I turn in a valid claim. All claims were finally paid after months of fighting,
but I had to spend MANY hours on the phone and "prove" the damage cost, I said enough.

Jack
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Wow -- never had that trouble -- they must have been training a new guy on the lift --- but to fight you on the insurance is unconscionable .
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shipping Companies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL