The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Purchasing complete shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Phil,

Got Barry Mitchell's New book, Opened it and flipped through the pages. Can't wait to read it. After this post, I'm going to just do that.

Got a bunch of new books and it is difficult to choose which one to read.

I fell in love with Edwin Hooper's "Host of Surprises" (1990 edition) I have a couple of tricks I am working on and this book gave me some great ideas. I had a Guzzling Granny and I was trying to come up with a card trick with this goofy toy, and Ed had the toy in his book, I do a routine with Laflin's Cartoon Silks, and Ed had a section on Photos which is ideal for improving on my existing routine. (Similar effect with face cards)

I picked up the Hades Finger Chopper and loved what Ed had said about it. Also Ed's section on kids magic was really great. It is nice to know that someone else thinks like I do. I never met the man but he must of been a King of Kids magic as the owner of Supreme Magic.

There are at least a dozen tricks he routined which I have selved and it has made me rethink using it. Great Book.

The other books I got this week were PROFESSIONAL SECRETS OF KRAMIEN and
SHOW ME THE MONEY

I got these books on the recomendation of Blair Robertson. I will write a review once I finish them. They appear to be telemarketing books on Fundraising. With the new laws of $25,000 fines for calling people you are not supposed to, I question the modern day valitity of what I read so far. A mistake can cost you plenty. I'll reserve judgement until I read the whole book. I am enjoying Ed's book more.

For other readers:
Books are a great source of ideas for developing routines. Read-Read-Read. They are cheaper than buying complete shows.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Den,
I have all four of Edwins books (signed. I bought them as Edwin released them which was years back now they are really good.

I also have an orinal copy of Kramiens book
the old spriral bound edition about 1.5" thick. I must have bought it about 15 years ago.
Philluip
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
A magician isn't a plumber!

A magician is more akin to a stand up comedian. You might by books that teach you how to be a better stand up comedian or get ideas from watching other performers but would you BUY an ENTIRE stand up comedy act (even if you want to adjust it to suit your own purposes)

We all take existing ideas an make them our own but buying an entire ACT really doesn't enter into the spirit of creativity .
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Phil,
All Four?

This one is the third according to the preface. Are Vol 1 and 2 like the third and What is the name of his fourth? Is it like the Edwin's third? If they are, I will look for the other three.

Nicholas:
If one wants to create a "new hammer" that's fine. If the "existing hammer" fixes the problem... "deliver's the message" ... that's even better. One could infer, it is wrong that magic dealers sell the same trick, they should all sell what they create only. In Truth: "A creative mind needs never to buy magic ever." If this is the case there would be no need for dealers.

Many performers do buy Stand-up Comedy acts from Comedy Writers. Do you really think those evening talk hosts create the comedy they present every day?

You are absolutely right that it is better to be original and creative, however, there are situations where this is not really necessary. I believe package programs can serve the public well in getting those important messages across to as many as possible.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Yes they all have good stuff Den.
They are :-

Edwins Magic vol 1
" " vol 2
" " Finali
Host of suprises

Phillip
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Heres my two cents. (which will be worth about a half a cent next year, this darn inflation).

So anyone who patents, copyrights, and sells a complete show expects people to perform it. Most of us have the common sense to fit the "pat" show to our own personalities. Most newcomers in magic may use the show as a sort of basic training in how a show is basically put together.

Now, having said that....

My problem lies in magicians always trying to fit thier own magic routines and props around a message for a themed show. No matter how hard you try "Forgetful Freddie" isn't meant to be a metaphor for the folly of drug use, a dove pan is not a recycling bin, a stratosphere is not a traffic light,
and trying to use these effects as illustrated above makes the routine corney and the performer likewise.

The answer :

Do your own standard show and build the theme around that. Ask themed trivia questions, insert theme facts and figures between effects.

People want to be entertained not preached to. If you can make the message entertaining people will get the message and still have fun.

S. Patrick
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2003-06-24 09:30, DenDowhy wrote:
BTW,

Someone told me a while back he went to most of the Las Vegas Magic Shows and when asked how were they, he replied:

If you seen one, you saw them all!

How many different ways can you product a tiger?

This is very true. If vegas magicians stopped producing/vanishing tigers, we'd all be better off.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
You will find over time that even if you all start with exactly the same tricks, exactly the same moves and exactly the same script that your own personality will come through.

In fact you have to be incredibly thick for that not to happen.

Every single magician I've met or heard from who purchased my Five Minutes With A Pocket Handkerchief video has told me they have added bits of their own and their routine continues to evolve.

Quentin Reynolds
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
In speaking of Barry Mitchell, he also will sell his previous years shows and he has some wonderful ideas. Den is right in that he does think 24/7. He hates to use standard props and prefers to devise something totally original from the ground up.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I see no problem buying another magician's act. But stealing is what's wrong.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Has any one read September 2003 Magic Magazine article Pro Kids?

This article tells how, for years, a standard program was developed and numerous magicians performed that exact show all around the country.

This is the point which should be stated: If it is great and works well and it is for kids and it is for sale and works for you then go for it!

Every year there is a new crowd of kids that never saw that show!
Dennis Michael
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I guess I appreciated the individualism and artistic expression that comes from using classic routines and ideas to create my own narratives and ideas.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
DenDowhy:

Thanks for your comments on our "Pro-Kids Show". I hope you enjoyed the article. I know that you post here a lot, and I thought I might meet you at KIDABRA, but I don't think I ever saw you. I performed (along with Ken Scott) on the Saturday night show.

For anyone who reads the article in MAGIC, I think you will notice a BIG difference in what we do at PRO-KIDS versus buying someone's "show in a box".

We have a group of creative individuals that collaborate together, and many of us talk several times a day. You won't find ads in any of the magazines that say, "Buy the Pro-Kids Show!" We're not creating a product to sell to magicians, although that has proved to be very profitable for some!

Each of us who are successful in our markets have put in a lot of hard work.

We also have had others besides magicians perform the show. Sometimes thinking to much like a magician is a hindrance to doing our show!

When Stan Allen saw my performance at the Workshop in Kansas City last year, he was interested in doing the article because of the way we work together at PRO-KIDS, and how that is very unusual in the world of magic.

Although the "shows in a box" are very tempting (as they seem to be a short cut), you cut short the creative process. I'm not saying they won't work for you, but make sure you are buying a great show, and not just a bunch of marketing hype.

By the way, although I haven't posted much, I think the exchange of ideas in the Café is great.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Ah Tim,

It is sooo good to see you back with us.

I for one flew to Chicago to see Tim's show because I had intrest in the program. The Pro Kids show really is a great show. Tim and the rest of the guys really put alot of thought into the program.

Ken
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
There are always more than one way to skin a cat. Sometimes when we have success with a certain method, we sometimes forget that another method or way of doing things might be equally successful for someone else.

Try everything and see what works out for you the best!

IMHO----Cheers!----Jimeuax Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

In no way does "Show-in-a-Box" meant to stop creative processes. Those first getting started need some experience with an audience, especially kid audiences. Kids are a unique group with innocent verbal actions, whereas adults may think it but not verbalize it like kids.

Before the creative juices start to flow, one needs to have a solid baseline knowledge of entertaining kids. Where does this knowledge grow and bear fruit? ...From doing shows and learning from what others have already developed...Springboarding into one's own material using existing props... then creating new effects on the principles of past created effects.

For example, the Pizza Box Surprise effect is a modern adaptation of the Die Box. There is Mismade Santa silks, Mismade Birthday Party Cake silks, Mismade Christmas Tree silks, etc. (not exact names); all are a variation of the Mismade Flags. This list of new effects really can be linked to existing effects.

One cannot start from scratch without that baseline experience, therefore, "Show-in-a-Box" is an excellent starting point. If one chooses to expand on an effect and individualize it, then "creative juices" start to flow. From that point, creating something new becomes easier. Keep in mind it is a starting point for many. (There are theories on artistic creativity and right/left brain dominance, but let's not go there.)

Now, if you have the ability to create from scratch a new effect without any magical background, then indeed you are truly a gifted artist.
Dennis Michael
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
Quote:
. They appear to be telemarketing books on Fundraising. With the new laws of $25,000 fines for calling people you are not supposed to, I question the modern day valitity of what I read so far. A mistake can cost you plenty. I'll reserve judgement until I read the whole book. I am enjoying Ed's book more.

The U.S. Do Not Call list excludes businees to business calls, charities, religous and political fund raising calls. It only applies to calls made outside your state. But if your calling homes in your state you should check your state's laws, it varies from state to state.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Purchasing complete shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL