The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Dr. Spiegel's test. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
Here's an article about Dr. Spiegel's

test.http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,945855,00.html

Is anyone familar with this Test? Any feedback on how accurate it is?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
A test that indicates a "greater capacity to be hypnotized?"

IMO there are only two considerations as to whether a person goes into hypnosis: 1, that they can pay attention to instructions and 2, that they want to be hypnotized. If both of these are positive, a person can be hypnotized. Period.

However, that doesn't mean anyone can hypnotize them. There's a famous story about how Erickson worked for hours to hypnotize a patient who finally told him, "It's not good, Erickson. You can't hypnotize me."

Erickson left the room and told a student to go in and hypnotize the patient. The student went in and had the patient hypnotized in a few minutes.

My GUESS is that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. He came up with a bizarre test and he discovers proof of his test when he looks for it.

However, I'd have to ask, "What good is this test?" Go into a therapy or stage situation wondering if a client or an audience will go into hypnosis and you're likely to have lots of failures. Go in assuming success and you'll have it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20377 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have found the absolute MOST important part is willing. Anything else can be worked out.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5714 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 17:46, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have found the absolute MOST important part is willing. Anything else can be worked out.

Dannydoyle, I believe that really is the gist of it. Nice one-sentence summary of the whole thing.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
There is another story about a test that showed only 70% of people could be hypnotized. Actually, the tests was done by giving untrained (in hypnosis induction) experimenters a script to read to subjects who had not received any sort of pre-talk. This has resulted in a myth that only 70% of people can be hypnotized. In fact, it would be more appropriate to say that an astounding 70% of people can be hypnotized by untrained people reading a script.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20377 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The fact is that 100% of people CAN be, the question is what percentage WANTS to be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I would suggest that although a small number of people cannot be hypnotized (those with exceedingly low I.Q.s, for example) even if all of the rest desperately want to be hypnotized, it also doesn't mean than anyone can hypnotize them all, only that they can be hypnotized.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20377 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody is saying you can guarantee a resuly for an inept operator. You do need to guide them properly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2009-12-11 13:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
The fact is that 100% of people CAN be, the question is what percentage WANTS to be.

Excellent phrase
this line will be in my mind
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Dr. Spiegel's test. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL