The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canadian Performer Insurance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I have been gently and gratefully reminded of a performer's insurance plan with a Canadian office.

http://www.kidabra.org/insurance.html

KIDabra International is offering performer's liability insurance through Elite Risk to U.S. KIDabra members. The KIDabra website states that Elite Risk does have Canadian and U.S. office and offers coverage that is reportedly competitive with Specialty Performer's Insurance.

I have no experience with this plan, but it's another source to consider for our Northern friends and peers.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Thanks Skip. It's good to know that there alternatives for Canadians to get their liability insurance.

Again, just want to remind my fellow Canucks, that the K&K policy offered here not only prohibits the use of fire of any kind (flash paper etc...) but it also prohibits the use of animals. So, it looks like if you use live birds (doves) or a rabbit, you will not be covered. Also, your props are not covered by liability insurance alone.

Be aware of the restrictions and do the right thing and get some liability insurance (if you don't already have some) before you even think of doing your next show.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Thanks, Rich.

Also keep in mind, that just because a carrier won't insure your use of live animals or fire effects, this does not mean that they won't cover other parts of your show.

In most cases, they simply won't pay damages for illnesses, injuries or damages resulting from the animals or fire effects themselves. The remaining 90% of your show may be fully acceptable and insurable under K&K and the other providers.

When in doubt, ask and get it in writing!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
From the Kidabra insurance website: "This insurance is available to KI members in the US. (Canadian members must check with the company individually. Elite Risk does have a Canadian office)."

It looks like Canadians would end up getting a personal policy, rather than being a part of the Kidabra group policy. I'll have to call them to get a quote.

Regarding K&K's policy on animals - they must have changed recently. When I was with them a couple of years ago, they told me that I could use doves and rabbits, but no other animals. I asked for an exception for my Bearded Dragon, and they refused.

Brian
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Brian, they just recently changed the policy to exclude animals due to the petting zoo incidents and, I'm told, the H1N1 hysteria.

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Here's a direct response from Stephanie Weiss at Specialty Insurance regarding insuring Canadian performers:

"Our site states that you must have a US mailing address to purchase our policy. We do cover performers that are traveling into Canada to work. If your [Canadian] friend would like to use our services he would just need to supply [a] US mailing address on his application. We can email his certificates of insurance as well as mailing them. Some people in Canada will also secure a [U.S.] post office box for their mail."

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
That makes it a lot trickier to do Skip since getting a U.S. mailing address is not without some effort and often expense for Canadians.

Also, since the Canadian performer would be based in Canada and doing the majority, if not all of their performances here, then it might also be seen as less than honest to purchase this policy for "traveling into Canada to work." My concern would be that in the (hopefully unlikely) event of a claim, that coverage could be denied.

Still, your efforts are certainly appreciated. Smile
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm just a conduit trying to find options for peers in need...the information is coming from the company. Aside from what they're telling me and my own experiences, I know next to nothing about insurance. Smile

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
RJE, If you go back to the link I gave you for HKMB and check it out you will find that they do allow rabbits and doves as Brian mentioned above With coverage by K&K)

Blair
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 14:30, Skip Way wrote:
Here's a direct response from Stephanie Weiss at Specialty Insurance regarding insuring Canadian performers:

"Our site states that you must have a US mailing address to purchase our policy. We do cover performers that are traveling into Canada to work. If your [Canadian] friend would like to use our services he would just need to supply [a] US mailing address on his application. We can email his certificates of insurance as well as mailing them. Some people in Canada will also secure a [U.S.] post office box for their mail."

Now we just need to find some generous U.S. magician who doesn't mind having his address listed on a bunch of Canadian-magician insurance policies. Any takers? Smile

Brian
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 21:11, Blair Marshall wrote:
RJE, If you go back to the link I gave you for HKMB and check it out you will find that they do allow rabbits and doves as Brian mentioned above With coverage by K&K)

Blair

Hi Blair,

I was just going by the Pdf file that was on the link that Skip gave. It said that animals were not allowed. However, if doves and rabbits are allowed, then that would certainly help.

Either way, I think it is important that every one out there doing shows carry appropriate liability insurance.

All the best,

Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canadian Performer Insurance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL