The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I'm not angry..., but (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Bobser to Café... bobser to Café... ah you're there!
I finally succumbed after years of having bent c--ns in my pocket and purchased Coinvexed 2.
It arrived. I opened it. A heavy black thing fell out and landed on my toe. I've already got gout down there (I'm upper middle class) and the pain was excruciating.
After 10 minutes or so, I stopped crying and looked at everything else in the box before realising there was no sh-rp-e included.
I hobbled to my car and drove 3 miles. I got what I assumed I needed and drove back making it 6 miles in total. I've just got home. My toe is still sore, and... the black thing that fell on my toe doesn't fit into the type of sh-rp-e that I bought.
I'm not angry..., but... I would have been nothing short of delighted if I could have paid the extra monies in order that the thing that I needed, (sh-rp-e), was included in the box and safely attached to the black thing that landed on by toe which has gout because I'm upper middle class.

Question 1: Am I being unfair?
Question 2: Is there a cure for gout?

bobser... out.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
1: No
2: Yes; Allopurinol, no alcohol and a low purine diet. Smile

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
You're not being silly, but adding the Sharpie would have pushed up the price... It would have shot from $149 to $150, or even $150.99.
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Bobser:

Appreciate your plight.
However, having been early on, many years ago, involved in the manufacturing and distribution of magic supplies as an offshoot of my shows, I would like to add this.

To include the S*****e was a choice the manufacturer made possibly for the following reasons.
1) Since this could sit on a jobbers racks for many months or years, and then supplied to a magic store where it would sit longer still, the S*****e could dry out, or worse yet leak.
2) When one figures the retail price of an object they take into consideration of the basic cost of manufacturing and putting together the item and then multiply it, usually, by 5x to 10x to factor in the various costs, losses, discounts, shipping, packaging, purchasing, book keeping, profit, etc. It is just good business practice. In this case it could have increased the selling price by $10.00, and you could have gotten a bad S*****e as well. That $5.00 to $10.00 can get you a few extra S*****e"s.

However, maybe they will see this thread and give you their answer.

Check out QB2. Light years ahead of this, I feel.

My best to you and hope you are feeling better.
Dick
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 11:12, magicusb wrote:
Bobser:

Appreciate your plight.
However, having been early on, many years ago, involved in the manufacturing and distribution of magic supplies as an offshoot of my shows, I would like to add this.

To include the S*****e was a choice the manufacturer made possibly for the following reasons.

Why are we *****ing the Sharpie? Seriously, who COULDN'T know something that's called Sh*rp*e? What else is it going to be? A Shirpue? a Shorpie? There are only so many combinations.. Smile

Quote:
1) Since this could sit on a jobbers racks for many months or years, and then supplied to a magic store where it would sit longer still, the S*****e could dry out, or worse yet leak.
2) When one figures the retail price of an object they take into consideration of the basic cost of manufacturing and putting together the item and then multiply it, usually, by 5x to 10x to factor in the various costs, losses, discounts, shipping, packaging, purchasing, book keeping, profit, etc. It is just good business practice. In this case it could have increased the selling price by $10.00, and you could have gotten a bad S*****e as well. That $5.00 to $10.00 can get you a few extra S*****e"s.

However, maybe they will see this thread and give you their answer.

Check out QB2. Light years ahead of this, I feel.

My best to you and hope you are feeling better.
Dick

#1 is a very valid point. Point 2 is less so, but still theoretically fair. I would add as a point 3:

3. Many people (if not everyone) already own (or should own) a sharpie, so why have to pay for another one? That choice should be up to the purchaser.

Its like selling a laptop computer and adding 30 dollars to the price to ad a fancy computer mouse. A normal one might do just fine, perhaps one that the buyer already owns. Why include one when they probably have it already (I have at least 4 on me), and jack up the price at the same time. 1 mouse per computer, 1 sharpie per coinvexed Smile (and yes I do have one computer per mouse Smile ).

Just my $0.02
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
A mariginal cost of $5-10 for a sharpie is something only magic dealers could possibly get away with. You simply can't be serious, magicusb. Maybe you're trying to make a point or something but:

1.) They don't manufacture the sharpies (so eliminate that from your list of reasons to multiply the price)
2.) .... argh .... it doesn't even matter but you're nuts. I've gotten magic tricks that include sharpies for less than $10 total, I'll just leave it at that.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I think an effect should come complete, or as much as possible, especially for a marketed, high price effect like this one, for down loadable effects, you accept that you are going to do some work, but at the price of this item, it should be complete. They should factor in all cost’s, and the Sharpie’s could be purchased in bulk and for much less than one at a time from a Staples. I feel , nothing stinks as much as a highly anticipated item coming in the mail, you sit down read the directions and watch the video, only to find , you need to leave home to buy some thing, then start to practice. I do understand , some ad’s tell you this up front, some times it is just not possible, but for the most part it is.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
And I hate it when these things are not provided with the effect!
Especially when so cheap and easy to provide by the sellers.

I´m from the Netherlands and there is no Sharpie to get here!

So I have to order them in the US, pay for shipping and wait for weeks for them to arrive…

Sell a complete product.. PERIOD!!
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I totally agree with Dave and the Doc! Nothing is worse than spending a ton of money and not having everything you need. There have been many of times I had to scramble around searching for what was needed. Not a huge deal but certaintly annoying.
praetoritevong
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
139 Posts

Profile of praetoritevong
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 11:22, magicFreak2 wrote:
Why are we *****ing the Sharpie? Seriously, who COULDN'T know something that's called Sh*rp*e? What else is it going to be? A Shirpue? a Shorpie? There are only so many combinations.. Smile

Hahaha. Touché.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hey praetoritevong, why can't you spell 'touch' properly? (this is actually highly humerous, trust me).

Hi everyone else and thanks for making me smile with your replies, seriously. I've just done a triple gig 1200 mile trip which is massive for here in the UK. I even appeared before Susan Boyle, and brushed my hand against her arse during the coinvexed routine. It wasn't a mistake by the way, I'm a pro. She actually smiled and said: "well hello sailor!" Had to call her minders to get her off me!
Anyway, yes I was a wee bit disappointed but have now purchased the sh-rp-e (shhhh!)it works great. Thanks to all who gave advice through posting, pm'ing and emailing me with advice on the gout. I might be in agony but this port and blue cheese is fantastic!
bobser
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I bet you wish you purchased QB2 instead, now don't you...............
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Shhhhh, Dave, we don't want to start a QB2 vs. CV2 war again, there's already a thread for that... maybe two... might actually be three of them Smile
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-12-13 18:42, bobser wrote:
Hey praetoritevong, why can't you spell 'touch' properly? (this is actually highly humerous, trust me).

You've never heard of touché before? Shame on you! It means that I made a conversational 'hit' Smile

(also joking Smile)
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Don't wanna get involved in the QB versus coinvexed thingy, but...... I do know that if I was SHOWN QB I might have bought it. This would have been good for the seller. I know that in magic you have to buy before you decide if it's for you but at this price... uh uh! At least 'too steep for me'.
It would be nice, I feel, if there was an assumption that we (seller and potential purchaser) are both gentleman of their word. ie: either I buy or I don't, but if I don't I do NOT try to replicate what I've seen. But unfortunately many magis are simply NOT gentleman, and that simply is an unfortunate fact.
Main point? IF the QB is/does what the seller says.... yes, even at that money I'd probably have made a purchase. But.... 'Caveat Emptor'! I've simply had far too many disappointments.

bobser
ps: But wait... maybe someone in the future will be daring enough to offer that to a select pro market. It's certainly worth a thought I feel. ie: 'Would you spend this amount if my product could do this?'
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Oh, I was shown the device when it was just QB1, at a lecture at the time. I didn't get it and I didn't see the value in it. When later the demo for QB2 started circulating which basically showed a very clear demonstration of the mechanics of the device, I totally understood the value of it and why it's king of the hill for what it does. This is one case in which seeing the physical product doesn't do much to help push sales, it's when seen in action that's when the big "AH HA!" moment occurs.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
As a newbie to this excellent forum I can't really see what all the fuss is about regarding a common or gardener Sharpie pen! Available from any supermarket or W H Smiths. However, having purchased Coinvexed 2 I can confirm it really is a killer effect! The gimmicks are very well made, easy to handle and at the finish you are completely clean. I too suffer from gout (ouch!) but I am only middle class. Alas -not upper middle class! (its the cheap Champagne from Tesco's!)
TGR
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I'm not angry..., but (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL