The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids effect DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
184 Posts

Profile of Danik1
Hi guys!

I would like to start learning how to perform for children from 5 to 12 years old. I'm use to do shows for adult audiences, but not for children. Sure I can adapt some of my effects or some of my routines for children, but I'd like to perform effects that are better suited for children.

I'd like to have DVD suggestions (yeah! I know! I'm not that big of a reader so!)

Wich DVDs should I buy?

Thanks!
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Bill Abbott has a deluxe DVD that in my opinion is great for older kids (10+), there is some stuff there that is good for the younger ones too. It has Stage as well as close up effects. His Chico The Mind Reading Monkey is great for all ages.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Terry Herbert and Chris Capehart are some that you can look at.David Ginn is another name that springs to mind.Google them and you'll see they have dvds and products that will help you.there are many more but I am brain dead at the moment.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Can't go wrong with "Silly Billy"
Absolutely the best in my opinion

Don
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Follow my signature...
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Magic Dave and Bish Bash Bosh is a good one . . . David Ginn has some great gags scattered among also a bunch of others . . . John Zander has a good DVD for kids, as does Pat Fallon (Magic for Older Kids) . . . Also, Kimmo's DVD seems geared to kids, but is really great for family audiences.
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
If you're interested in teaching young kids some tricks in your show, I highly recommend "How to Teach a Birthday Magic Class" by James Munton
Check out my new book on our 'perceptual superpowers': www.LawrenceRosenblum.com . It discusses new research on the psychology of misdirection and the neuroplasticity behind expert motor skills.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
What sort of performing style are you looking for? The Silly Billy approach is very clowny and flamboyant, so if that's you, get that one. If you are more of a straight man, the Bill Abbott is actually my personal favorite. I know I will be branded a philestine for this, but I didn't get much from Terry Herbert's kid DVD.

I'm going to make a suggestion, here. Volunteer somewhere to get lots of experience with the kids. I don't get paid for magic at this time, but I have loads of time spent with kids from grades 1-5. I volunteer at my daughter's school and I entertain the kids in one classroom from each grade during their snack times. That's 15 minutes per grade and I do one magic routine each week. I get to try out different presentations for different ages, figure out what works for kids and what lands flat.

I'm no expert, but I do think that's the cheapest way to find out what works well with kids. Just remember that tricks that depend on remembering cards can be pretty dull for kids if there's not a really spectacular reveal. Card to wallet is good, simply bringing a card to the top of a deck is not so great. Think about what is visual, easily understood (almost everyone understands the magic of a C&R rope, but really young kids don't "get" spongeballs for some reason) and doesn't take a long time. Get right into the action, in other words.

-Patrick
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Silly Billy & Chris Capehart
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here are some Great DVDs
http://www.kidabra.org/products.html
Matt Fore also has a great DVD

Mark Daniel, has an excellent DVD which focuses on Reading/Story Telling Type Shows and has his sound system and backdrops after the show.

Ken Scott, has an excellent DVD on Birthday Parties, with great info after the show. Ken also has a performance only Library Show which is excellent.

Smith, Samuel Patrick 1994 The Magic Ingredient and KIDOLOGY for daycare preschool kids

Performing For Young Children by Dave Risley and Glove Puppetry 101 for Young Children by Dave Risley http://www.DaveRisley.com

Arthur Stead's routines on CD with music performing rights.
Dennis Michael
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Quote:
On 2009-12-11 22:49, Danik1 wrote:
Hi guys!

I would like to start learning how to perform for children from 5 to 12 years old. I'm use to do shows for adult audiences, but not for children. Sure I can adapt some of my effects or some of my routines for children, but I'd like to perform effects that are better suited for children.

I'd like to have DVD suggestions (yeah! I know! I'm not that big of a reader so!)

Wich DVDs should I buy?

Thanks!

Hi
I have 2 DVDs out called KID-ABILITY and GAMES-ABILITY. and a new one soon to be released called BALLOON-ABILITY
Here are the links to the promos.

Balloon DVD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Pqgg0N62s
KIds Magic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpzgkV-9Tqk&feature=fvw
Games DVD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9iU61q-ku8&feature=related

Hope that helps
Jimbo
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I think it's clear there is no quick and cheap way of doing this! I've no idea how many children DVDs I have - but it's a lot. If I find just ONE entertaining and practical routine on a video - I consider that good. Quite often (perhaps very often!) you'll not find anything that is usable, practical or simply suits your style.

It's a long hard slog!

However, two props which I don't think you can go wrong with (I will almost never do a performance without them, regardless of age group) are Creative magic's Bigger wands (I think you'll find a couple of ideas on youtube on how to use them) and of course Axtell's drawing board.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids effect DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL