The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Just how really good is Jay Sankey? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
I prefered him in the old days. These days he seems like he wants to create/sell as much as possible in the quickest time possible. It's a bit like Paul Harris... IMHO. JP
ebinary
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ebinary
I only have Sankeytized vol. II (but I've been out of magic for 10 years). It is my favorite video, not necessarily because of the tricks shown (though there are many great ones), but by his engaging presentations of the technical aspects of the technique.

Sankey is never boring without seeming to try too hard. I recently ordered his three "Best Of" DVDs, and I can't imagine being disappointed with them. I don't have any first hand knowledge of his copious filler stuff, but I've read it enough places to believe it is a real problem. Hopefully he will pull the lame stuff out of print and distill his offerings to just the best stuff.

Eric
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I gotta agree with most of you. He has produced some great effects, but now his magic is like a production line in a factory. A bit hit and miss, and the over hype puts me off from even looking at his stuff that much. Having said that most magicians have hit and miss days, and you can't take away his great creative mind.

I guess I'll keep my ear to the ground, for when he finally releases another great gem.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The early books by Richard Kaufman, 100% Sankey, and Sankey Panky contain many, if not most, of Jay Sankey's great magic ideas. It's amazing how many magic ideas he's either discovered or invented. He's definitely been a creative force in magic.

I don't have Sankey Unleashed yet, but given that the author is Jon Racherbaumer, I'm sure that it's a great book too.

Some ideas in Paul Harris's Art Of Astonishment series are also from Jay Sankey.

If you've only seen him on video, you probably have no idea what it's like to see Jay Sankey perform live. He's better than a rock concert. When I saw him, he killed.

I can certainly recommend many things he's put out, Paperclipped and Leaving Home come to mind.

My favorite video by him is Paperclipped. (I purchased that even though it's in 100% Sankey, the guy has a house and family now, and he deserves twice what I paid for that anyway). There's been a lot written about Paperclipped.

My second favorite DVD is named "45". It's probably not for everyone, it's a collection of 45 quick close-up effects, sleights, and flourishes. These are all good for impromptu situations. He never speaks on the DVD, it's all done with background music, even the teaching.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
amedica
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of amedica
He's an above average magician who's a good marketer
Looking to BUY: Penomenon Writer (Black version), Ghost Cap (Porper), CAPtivated, Glass Mirage, Just a Key (Porper)
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1251 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2009-12-19 23:41, amedica wrote:

I consider him one of the best performers to layman. Front Row and his L&L tapes have my favorite performance sections,up there with Tommy Wonder, L.Green,Ortiz and others.

For magicians - his late creations are average at best, his old stuff are great. For layman he's one of the best I've watched.
Crowslide
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Crowslide
He has inspired me to take chances, turn the box inside out, and play with things until their secrets slip out of the corners. His work is about ideas that get your own ideas flowing IMO.
amedica
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of amedica
Quote:
On 2009-12-20 07:09, Medifro wrote:
Quote:

I consider him one of the best performers to layman. Front Row and his L&L tapes have my favorite performance sections,up there with Tommy Wonder, L.Green,Ortiz and others.

For magicians - his late creations are average at best, his old stuff are great. For layman he's one of the best I've watched.

I do get the sense from the videos where he interacts with audiences that they like him a lot. Does he perform these days?
Looking to BUY: Penomenon Writer (Black version), Ghost Cap (Porper), CAPtivated, Glass Mirage, Just a Key (Porper)
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1382 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Sankey is GREAT! And not just from card effects. My favorite card effect of his is "cardboard contortionist" (Sankey-tized II); but he has ingenious takes on standard magic effects. He does a spongeball routine about "earplugs" (after all, what ARE spongeballs?). He does a ring through a spoon routine which includes some spoon bending in there (on an L&L dvd).
It seems most of the posts here complain about his uneven marketing. I don't know what to say about this. (I love the Sankey-tized dvds) But IMHO, he's GREAT!
johnnyimpossible
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha, Ne
243 Posts

Profile of johnnyimpossible
He's one of the "Greats"... Does have some junk, but most all do... I have seen some magicians put so called "junk" out there and I found a way to make the junk look great... Keep the ideas flowing Jay... Osterlind has a folded bill routine that is lacking a great ending, but I came up with one... I still have yet to share it with him... he has a lot of good ideas as well...
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2787 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I've been to a handful of Jay's lectures and they are some of the most entertaining out there, if not a little strange. His earliest tapes were put out by US Toy and were quite good. I will agree that the past bunch of years the material released wasn't his best, but he's given us a lot of great effects.
amedica
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of amedica
Quote:
On 2009-12-21 00:34, johnnyimpossible wrote:
He's one of the "Greats"... Does have some junk, but most all do... I have seen some magicians put so called "junk" out there and I found a way to make the junk look great... Keep the ideas flowing Jay... Osterlind has a folded bill routine that is lacking a great ending, but I came up with one... I still have yet to share it with him... he has a lot of good ideas as well...

Osterlind is a god! He's more my style of presenter as well (not a gushy person)
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
693 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Quote:

This may be a matter of opinion, but Jay Sankey is one of the greatest thinkers/magi of our time.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Special user
Lake Worth FL
939 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Anyone remember reading his stuff in Richard'd Almanac and being awed by his creativity?
ebinary
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ebinary
Quote:
On 2009-12-20 23:25, lynnef wrote:
Sankey is GREAT! And not just from card effects. My favorite card effect of his is "cardboard contortionist" (Sankey-tized II); but he has ingenious takes on standard magic effects. He does a spongeball routine about "earplugs" (after all, what ARE spongeballs?). He does a ring through a spoon routine which includes some spoon bending in there (on an L&L dvd).
It seems most of the posts here complain about his uneven marketing. I don't know what to say about this. (I love the Sankey-tized dvds) But IMHO, he's GREAT!

After chiming in that I was sure I wouldn't be disappointed with his "Best Of" dvds, I just got them and I thought they were good, not great.

Best Of included three coin handing routines that were essentially variations on Mexican Jumping Coins (including the original). He did an unconvincing false take in one routine that was very atypical for him. He seemed to be seriously hopped up on cold meds for most of the video. One of my favorite effects was demoed but not instructed (Leaving Home).

Finally, he didn't give detail on certain moves, whereas on Sankey-tized, he always performed tricky stuff in psuedo-slowmo.

All in all, he seemed bored with some of his own tricks (which he probably is, having done them daily for 10+ years, but it shouldn't come across in the video). He just doesn't seem sincere and proud of his creations like 10-12 years ago.

I don't think any of this diminish him as a creator and magician, but as a teacher he is off the pedestal I used to have him on.

Eric
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Watch Sankey's Revolutionary Card Magic again. The number of creative plots in those 2 discs is unbelievable. He takes old stuff and breaths new life into them.
If you performed ONLY Sankey material you would be considered a great magician.

BTW a solid performer can make 99 look like a miracle!

Go Jay Go
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10813 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Don't know how good jay is but he is one of the best creators in magic today
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of tgold65
I am a big Sankey fan. He is extremely creative and I also find that he does amazing magic with relatively simple slight of hand. I would agree that much of his latest material is a bit of rehash of some older stuff. However, there is so much high quality material over the past 20 years I don't see how anyone could complain. Sankeytized I & II, Sankey's Greatest Hits, Front Row Sankey, Hemispheres and 22 Blows to the head are all excellent DVDs with a ton of material in all of them that is well worth the price of admission.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3147 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I went from like to dislike to respect. The dislike was based on the fact that as more products came out, I saw a lot of what I thought were rehashed ideas, but the more I watched beyond that, the more I realized just how much he's basically offered himself up as somebody to be studied as a blueprint for thinking creatively. I've considered trying to build an entire performing character around a simple, commonly-known prop, and the work this guy has done on that prop is astounding -- I could basically do an entire set from opener to closer just with Sankey items, and it wouldn't be a bad set.

I also think that in his teaching DVDs, he doesn't sell presentations as much as other performers could. For instance, if you based an entire pseudo-mentalism persona about reading people's pulses, then you might consider his strategy of gesturing a pulse-reading in order to motivate a peak as pure gold. If you didn't, then you'd probably think the trick was junk.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
I remember seeing Jay for the first time at Magie Montreal a long time ago when he was starting to get known. He had already been published in Richard's Almanac but his first book Sankey Panky wasn't out yet. He was incredible, he did his Cardboard Contortionist and everybody was in awe. It was clear by then that he was a notch or two above the others. Then I saw him a year later at Tannen's Jubilee and I remember his act like it was yesterday. He did his Collect Me Not and his Airtight (card in balloon). There was silence in the room then it exploded, every one was cheering. This was heavy stuff and very new at that time.
Jay is a powerful performer of magic. If you haven't seen him live you're missing something that can't be conveyed by video.
Nowadays, he wants to make a decent living with magic and his great creativity is a bit diluted by his flooding the market but don't be misled Jay is a performer/creator like few others. I understand that his style may not be the cup of tea of everyone however. And I must admit that I am less a fan now than I used to be.
Among the rehash and the overload of ordinary things there still are spark of great tricks if we have the patience to sift through all his published material. I also admit that I like his older material better than his newest ones but still those memories are some of the reasons that I still do magic today and for this I can never thank him enough.

Yves
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Just how really good is Jay Sankey? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL