The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dead ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Enough of the bs about non issues like gay warming and global marriage, time for important stuff.

Tonight I was caught in the worse snow storm I've ever experienced, which isn't saying much but it was very bad. As I was too terrified to change cd's I listened to a Grateful Dead best of for close to three and a half hours. This was the first time I listened to them without the droning of a wife or lots of traffic around and with the high quality sound a cd offers rather than being ripped and listening to an LP. You know, they were a very talented band and their music is excellent, they deserved and earned the long career they had and they continue on today under different names. You should listen to them if you have not, their mix of folk, rock, and country and even jug band is just top notch.

Here is the question that I came up with. Do you think that the name The Grateful Dead hurt them because, as has been stated many times by radio people and Led Zepplin, the name alone scared people? I really think that they did get hurt by the name while at the same time it intrigued people. I have had people tell me they didn't like the Dead then when I put on one of their albums they very same people would ask who it was because they liked the music!

So what do y'all think?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
People are easily intimidated by things they don't understand. I think the name hurt them no matter how good their music was.

It's safe to assume that band names generally (but of course not always) somewhat describe the style and sound of a band. Imagine if the band name was Pig Feces, but sounded like Sonny and Cher, not many people would be too excited to give them a try.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I do not think the name hurt them. I think their lack of radio airplay hurt them. The long, long jam-session songs never had a chance to make the charts. At the same time, it was their choice, and in the end they had developed a loyal bunch of followers....partly because they would not conform to the mainstream. I was never a true Deadhead, but I respected them musically and liked some of their songs. I was really saddened when Jerry Garcia passed away.
Mister Mystery
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I do not think it hurt them. They were truly a great band. Sooo many great songs

Now a (idiotic) band like the dead kennedys... Im sure they sucked and the name never helped.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I have to admit to not knowing much about the Dead even though they would be from my era. You've convinced me to go and give them more of a listen. I'm afraid that I couldn't even tell you why I am not that familiar with them! I suspect Regan is pretty spot on with his assessment of a lack of airplay.

Mike
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
It was all about airplay with the Dead when talking about why they didn't have large numbers of fans (compared to The Who, LZ, etc) , but airplay had nothing to do with how dedicated their fan base was..........rabid would be an appropriate word.

Their real forte was their touring. In younger years, they toured endlessly and thus built up the most dedicated fan base in music history.

They were the first band to tour with what today we'd consider a hi-tech PA system, and they brought their fans the first really good sounding live concerts.

They refused to be put in a box, and they refused to play any record company games.

As a result, I believe they assured themselves a place in music history far higher on the ladder, and far more critically acclaimed than many of their counterparts who were getting airplay.......many of whom were one or two hit wonders, and others who simply faded away after two or three albums.

There are few worthwhile music critics today that wouldn't rate the Dead in the top half dozen or so rock bands of all time.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah, they were outstanding. For those who will grab a best off the drum sound is very unique because they had two drummers most of the time. I think a lot of guys who don't listen to the Dead would think they were a heavy metal band and be surprised by the sound, Garcia had an absolutely beautiful voice.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Wow. Silverking, I never would have guessed you for a dead fan..

I believe they only had one number one single, "touch of grey". I have friends out here in ca who used to just go to the parking lot at their concerts, they called it dead lot. A cool place to hang out, buy 50 cent grilled chesses, and ... other things. I never went, despite all the prodding from my friends, I regret that big time.

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Then, of their fans, there is always Bill Walton-who, for my money, is the worst basketball announcer of all time.

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I like Bill as an announcer, but I did not like himm as a player when he was with the Celtics. I really like his son Luke! Of course, I am a lifelong, diehard Lakers fan so that may be the reason why! Smile
Mister Mystery
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've been a fan of the Dead for ages. Still love the songs from "Working Man's Dead" and "American Beauty".
Especially like the bluesy songs with Ron "Pigpen" McKernan. (RIP)
"Easy Wind" is perhaps my favorite.

Quote:
On 2009-12-13 14:30, kcg5 wrote:
I believe they only had one number one single, "touch of grey".

Actually no. There have been quite a few singles going back to the mid-60s.
A couple of the more popular ones are:
"Casey Jones", "Truckin'"
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
What's most amazing is their fans come from every corner, form country to blues fans, from metal fans to soft rockers. The people that like their music are from every walk of life and like the band they refuse to be labeled.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Oops! My bad.
I should have read kcg5's post more carefully. Sorry.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
One never knows...A huge Deadhead is of all people Ann Coulter.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The name "Grateful Dead" did a good job of scaring away people who ... well, we're all happier that those people got scared away.

Didn't always work ... Ann Coulter sneaked back in.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Ann Coulter is not scared of anything and she never "left" in the first place. Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2009-12-14 00:12, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Ann Coulter is not scared of anything...

Let's see, what's she scared of:

Civility ... check.
Common sense ... check.
Rational balanced discourse ... check.

Yeah, she's scared of a few things.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-12-14 03:18, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-14 00:12, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Ann Coulter is not scared of anything...

Let's see, what's she scared of:

Civility ... check.
Common sense ... check.
Rational balanced discourse ... check.

Yeah, she's scared of a few things.
It sounds more like you are the one scared of Ann Coulter!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-12-13 15:26, Jaz wrote:
Oops! My bad.
I should have read kcg5's post more carefully. Sorry.

I did a search, I can't find out where "Casey Jones" or "Truckin'" topped out in the charts.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
At the risk of going off topic, ann coulter can take a quick trip off a short pier for all I care. I am scared to DEATH of that woman.

Is she is a dead head it is only because her book publisher wants her to look good for her next grouping of words on numerous pages held together by cardboard.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dead ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL