The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dead ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Haha...you guys. The woman is an entertainer and a sharp wit and an excellent writer PLUS IF you know where her facts are wrong...call 'em out! You obviously never read her stuff except what you read on the daily Kos or Huffinpoop.

Her take on the phony Kwanza ruse is still the best (and probably the only one to tell it like it is.) No need to fear any cutting humor unless you can't answer it because it's true. She sells millions of books to both left and right mainly because both left and right have millions of folks SICK TO DEATH of PC.

ie: I don't agree with Striesand AT ALL about ANYTHING but she's a hell of a singer and I buy her music.

As to the Dead...I always found thier stuff boring as hell...but I wont hold that agai+nst Coulter or anybody in this thread. ;-).
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The Dead regularly came into town at least once a year while I was a cop. I will tell you this, no airplay didn't hurt them in the LEAST. They were selling more than albums they were selling an "experience". People walking around the parking lot with their fingers in the air waiting for someone to "miracle" them. (sell them a ticket)

They would let you plug right into the sound board and sell the tapes. The didn't care. I don't know when they figured out exactly what they had, but they used it well. They were something to see I will say that.

Phish is getting close to duplicating that sort of success on the east coast.

http://www.phish.com/bandhistory/
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well that name sounds creepy to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
Quote:
On 2009-12-13 12:23, kcg5 wrote:
I do not think it hurt them. They were truly a great band. Sooo many great songs

Now a (idiotic) band like the dead kennedys... Im sure they sucked and the name never helped.

Actually if you liked West Coast 80s punk, the Kennedys were one of the best. I saw them a few times and they were terrific. Like the Grateful Dead, not to everyone's taste, but certainly not idiotic. Different strokes...
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Growing up I had heard of them but didn't know there music and I just assumed that it was something I would not like anyway. One day a new song was playing on the radio that I had heard a couple of times but up to that point I didn't know who the group was. The song was Touch of gray. After the song ended the d.j. said who it was. I was shocked I had no idea they sounded like that. I'm not a huge dead fan but I have to say I do like their music.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Did Phish get back together again?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
This had to be about 1990-91 The Dead played The Sam Boyd Silver Bowl in Las Vegas Nevada over memorial day weekend I believe it was. Sting was there opening act.

I didn't go to the concert but I hung around outside the stadium just to get a taste of what it was like to be around a dead show. It was sort of like the giant swap meets you would find at the Rose Bowl if they still have them there. If I hadn't seen cars from the 80's and at that time early 90's as well as much older cars I would have sworn I had stepped thru some magic portal and was back in the late 1960s. Most every one had tie dyed shirts on jeans etc... Very 60's style clothing. there were vendors selling all sorts of things. Lots of sights and smells. It was a very interesting thing to see.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Off topic but speaking of idiotic names. I've been waiting for some stupid twit to name their group the barf bags.

P.s. I think I may have just came up with another name in this post. "Some stupid twit"

If anyone does decide to name their group either name I do expect some sort of payment. lol.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
How about "Toinight's Band: SHOW CANCELLED" ???
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-12-14 22:47, MagicSanta wrote:
Did Phish get back together again?

Yes. I never knew they broke up LOL.

The band name I want is "SECURITY". The way I figure it every other band will have lots of guys wearing our T-Shirts.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-12-15 01:29, RS1963 wrote:

Off topic but speaking of idiotic names. I've been waiting for some stupid twit to name their group the barf bags.

http://www.myspace.com/thebarfbags

"The Barf Bags are a hardcore band originally from Stratford and currently from Toronto. Will sings, Matt plays guitar, Adam plays bass, and Jerry plays drums. Their "Wet Heaves EP" has garnered incredible amounts of critical acclaim, most of which is from their friends who are too nice to tell them it sucks. Listen to it anyway."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Remember The B*tthole Surfers? How about the late great Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Balducci. I kind of thought maybe someone had by now come up with the Barf bag name. Your right they do suck. Just like I thought a band with that name would.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
How about 'Corroded Crud and the Rotten Scum Bags'?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Asd for the dead kennedys, they might have been good, but the name coupled with their use of a picture of JFKS body laid out on a slab in a morgue-they put in on their t-shirts.. real eddgy, sure it ****ed off their parents and all that stuff.

As for ann, I have read some of her stuff-not an entire book, but enough to know what she is about. I know many of her facts are up for challenging, I know she is trying to entertain people, the howard stern of books-and it works, Im sure she sells books. she does her job well, I could care less about her. I think she is filled (or is seen as filled) with hate at others.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
"Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac" sort of somes up their attitude toward the biz end of making music.

As for naughty names for bands, you can check out this link, if you dare, or if it lasts. Be warned, this ain't a list of your daddy's music makers!

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/King_Fahtah/rude_band_names/

When you get to the 'B's' and see The Barenaked Ladies (one of their big hits being, If I Had A Million Dollars), they got a huge break because of their name. They were scheduled to play an outdoor concert in Toronto and were a relatively unknown band. But, the lady mayor of Toronto got herself all worked up over the name and banned the band from the concert. The media ate it up. The boys got HUGE free publicity and the rest, as they say, is history.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2009-12-16 14:08, RJE wrote:
"Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac" sort of somes up their attitude toward the biz end of making music.

As for naughty names for bands, you can check out this link, if you dare, or if it lasts. Be warned, this ain't a list of your daddy's music makers!

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/King_Fahtah/rude_band_names/

When you get to the 'B's' and see The Barenaked Ladies (one of their big hits being, If I Had A Million Dollars), they got a huge break because of their name. They were scheduled to play an outdoor concert in Toronto and were a relatively unknown band. But, the lady mayor of Toronto got herself all worked up over the name and banned the band from the concert. The media ate it up. The boys got HUGE free publicity and the rest, as they say, is history.

I love the Barenaked Ladies. very good group.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
"deadhead sticker on a cadillac" was a line from a don henley song, I always took it to mean that people who were older (when the song was written) compared to who they were in the 60's, anti-establisjment, drugs, ect. Whereas now, the ultimate symbol for being old is the caddy-and their youth is gone, but they still have the stickers and their memories.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You must be young, Kevin. The cadillac, I believe is a symbol of selling out--an outrage 40 years ago, but matter-of-fact today.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
John, we agree. I mean they got old, and sold out-became the establishment, or whatever.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dead ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL