The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Snakes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
Any one here work with snakes. I am thinking about combining my 2 loves magic and reptiles (snakes).
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
Well we do have Maria Guerra aka The Snake Babe on the Café. She'll probably be the best source of information. I use a Ball Python in my show but that's nothing compared to what she's got.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Ah, snakes! I love them! I use corn snakes in my show, because they do well with temperature changes. So many of the tropical snakes need warmer temperatures to feel good and thrive. Corn snakes are colorful, docile, and easy to use.

At first, I used to worry about producing them and getting bitten when 'suddenly reaching into their magical hiding place', but this has never been a problem! I know you can use BIG-HONKIN' snakes for cool productions, but for me, the ease of using a corn snake outweighs my using any other snake in my own show.

Outside the VIP concerns for your snake's comfort, safety, and health, your main concerns should be:

1. Timing on feeding [so your snake won't hack up a used mouse or rat, ARG!]
2. When that snake is going to poop next [...also ARG!]
3. When that snakes is going to shed.
4. Knowing your snake well enough to recognize a subtle illness!

My snakes have only pooped once or twice out of over 800 shows. Thankfully, they did the deed in their hiding place. [Keep a box of wet-wipes handy for your hands in case of such an emergency, and be discreet in your cleanup!] Please note: Some anxious snakes 'go' with such ferocity that their power-poop can accidentally swamp a nearby audience assistant or spritz the front row of a closely-seated audience. This is something you want to avoid at all costs.

Also know that some people are truly terrified of snakes. I have inadvertently 'cleared out' the front row of an all male conference at the mere sight of the snake. A lady at one show shrieked and climbed over several rows of audience members to get away. It was a funny moment, but someone could have been hurt. And there was the woman who was so terrified, she ran smack into a support pillar.

One last thing: Keep that snake’s safety in mind at all times and remember, all snakes can overheat in high ambient temperatures. Be VERY careful performing at outdoor venues in hot weather. All things considered, you will be able to create an exciting act and hopefully make people more aware that snakes are a beautiful creature.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I have contemplated adding a snake to the show. My pet guy says that a ball python probably would be the best. Of course I live in a very unnatural part of the world for most snakes (it gets very cold here) so should I even attempt it?
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I've been using snakes in my show for over twenty years now. Most important thing to remember is that they have to eat. Let's just say you can't go to your local pet store and pick up "Snake Chow."

There is a lot to know about taking care of a snake .. it's not that simple. Do your research first ..

Steve
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I have been keeping snakes for twenty years. The care is all ready there. I always have there health in the front of my mind.
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
165 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Just curious, what is an audiences reaction to the snake? I've only seen them used on TV. I have to imagine there are a few people with phobias who would freak out.
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
Quote:
On 2009-12-14 11:32, modfrog wrote:
Any one here work with snakes. I am thinking about combining my 2 loves magic and reptiles (snakes).

I have for over 30 years and I love it, did you have a question?

Quote:
On 2009-12-27 11:04, modfrog wrote:
I have been keeping snakes for twenty years. The care is all ready there. I always have there health in the front of my mind.

Then you already know it can be very limiting what you can do.
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I have an effect I am working on where a snake skin is changed into a real live snake. My kids love it but with all the snake phobes out there it will only be used in certine cases
magicom
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicom
I too have had ball pythons for years and have only used them in a Harry Potter show. Can anyone out there suggest specific effects in which they can be incorporated?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Snakes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL