The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Martin Lewis Sketchpad Signature edition (Cardiograph) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
I recently bought this trick together with a refill pack. The trick itself is very good and looks like it'll last for some time. However the actual trick was missing the template (used to draw the ace) and the slit sheets from the refill pack were blank. They were also shorter than the originals (not overlapping the back card) - although the longer sheets were one of the improvements of this edition.

I complained to Penguin Magic about this and this is what Maxwell had to say (in addition to offering a refund if I wanted):
Quote:
I've contacted our distributor to see if it's possible for us to get a
template to send you, and they've informed me that there's been a
change and the item no longer comes with the template. Unfortunately
they don't have any templates left in stock, and we don't have any
either. The manufacturer just isn't including the template anymore.

I spoke with a magician we work with closely about this. His name is
**** ****, and he's been doing the trick for years (17 to be exact).
He says he has always chosen to draw the ace on there by hand (without
the template) because it looks too perfect with the template. He says
that's why they stopped including the template, because they think
it's better without it.

Regarding the replacement sheets, **** suggested you might try cutting
the paper in the pad to be shorter so the refill sheets would work.
He said that's what he does.

I would like to know if anyone else knows more about this. Does anyone do the Sketchpad trick? From where do you get your refills? Anything?

Ps. $175 (or even $130 from Penguin) is a lot to pay for a trick that only comes with 6 performances!
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2435 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Sounds awful odd to me that they wouldn't include the template. I would maybe contact the distributor and get it straight from the horse's mouth. That way you know for sure what you were told is the truth. Saying it looks too perfect I think is silly as you want the two drawing to look as close to each other as possible so nobody suspects the sw**ch.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Hello

I would take the full refund and then buy the dvds by Martin Lewis on Making Magic. It explains how to make Cardiographic and a number of other effects. I found it pretty cheap and easy to make. You can easily buy the sketch pad of your choice and size in most office supply stores. (You do need the spiral type)

Plus you will have a number of other effects that you will find interesting!!!

Happy Holidays!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa

P.S. You may also call another magic shop and ask about the templates. Maybe Penquin Magic just doesn't
want to get you a template. (Try Denny Shop, Stevens, Hocus Pocus)
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
I agree with Walking Bob.

I purchased the Lewis tape (tape! gosh, that was ages ago!) primarely (sp?) for the cardiographic effect but I also use at least two other effects from it so I really got my moneys worth.

Why spend money on preprinted refills? You´ll have to learn to match your drawing and the colors. Do it yourself! After a few trials you will get good results. I don't even bother with the trace marks anymore. Muscle memory I guess.

Great trick and I have been ending one of my acts with it for years.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well
gmindmagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of gmindmagic
Use the new edition all the time. The last batch of refills I received from Martin himself came with all the blank sheets all ready to go with the outlines on them. Makes it very easy for you, just get in touch Magikraft.

Something sounds wrong with the set you received.

meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Thanks for the replies. I find it hard to believe that Maxwell would lie about being able to get a template or printed refill cards as it would cost him some for the return (from UK).

I am not interested in making my own as I make enough per show that it should be worth buying ready made (at under $2 per show). I just want to hear from anyone who does this trick whether they have had such problems. Or if any magic dealers know anything about this.
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Anyone?
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Sounds like the set you got wasn't right.
MagicDog
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
237 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
I use the new edition, The last batch of refills I received from Magikraft were fine you might want to deal with them.

John
Make Everyday Magical
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Apparantly it's a faulty set. I contacted Martin and he offered to exchange them for me. Problem resolved. Happy customer.
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
I must add that Martin's customer service is second to none. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of his products again and would recommend them to all.
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
It wouldn't be very difficult to make a template from the refill sheets.
Looking at Martin's Tape, I think that the template could easily be made to match the refills, just with a sheet of bristol board.

I'm interested in what updates there might be on the notes. If the notes were downloadable, I'd buy them in an instant. It's a pain ordering and having items shipped across the border.

Doug
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
266 Posts

Profile of Martello
I just purchased the Signature Edition from Madhatter and it too came without a template. Since I have the template from Cardiographic (which is still in the Cardiographic package)I am not going to go through the bother of getting what was supossed to be included in the box from Martin Lewis. It is odd, however that this was excluded since there is reference to it in the DVD.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2411 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I recently purchased this too, no template but of of the sheets and the refill pack had pencil marks on them. Contacted Martin and he said this is how they were shipping now and there should have been a note in the box. No template, but all refills pre-lined.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1316 Posts

Profile of rowland
Hi I have a question about the signature edition, I know the new one uses a plastic card does anyone know if there were any signature editions made that had the cardboard card that r***s
I amt trying to make sure when I buy one that it is the latest version just don't know how to be sure.
I have been using a homemade one for years but thought the new one might be worth getting as there are supposed to be some improvement etc.
Any help appreciated
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
^ No need to post that twice .... I answered it on the other thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Martin Lewis Sketchpad Signature edition (Cardiograph) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL