We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dice Routine's? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I am interested in learning effects using dice.
Should I start with "Dr Saks Amazing Dice Trick" video or Reed McClintock's "The Ivory Connection" ? Or ??? Perhaps there is another source for dice effects that a newbie to dice tricks might want to consider?
I figure if I go with the Dr Saks video first, I will eventually (probably sooner than later) get Ivory Connection.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
There is a lot of material on dice on this board. Do a search for "Dice" and/or "Dice Stacking."

Dice stacking takes quite a bit of practice to acquire the knack but it's well worth the effort. It goes over very well with most audiences. Check it out!

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
"The complete book of magic tricks" has some fun inventions.
Jonatan Bank
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
"Its the Rules" by Bob Sheets is a great dice trick. You can get it from Denny and Lees Magic.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Rather than copy anther's routine I would get some classic general books on dice work and start to create a routine of your own.

There is Dice Dexterity by Audley Walsh
Shoot the Works by Ed Marlo
How to Stack Dice for Fun and no $ by Clarke
The Senator Crandal

With that as a background, you can move into some of the new videos and books suggested.

Try Magic Inc. as a good source for the above books.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
There's a chapter on dice effects in Milt Kort's book. IMO, there is really way too little material on dice magic out there. With so much interest in gambling themed magic involving cards and money, you'd think more magicians would be interested in effects with dice.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Tony Ley
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FLorida
46 Posts

Profile of Tony Ley
Glen-
A LOT of great suggestions here! You won't find a whole lot of new material on dice, but if you dig through older periodicals and books, you'll have better luck. Don't ask why...I don't know. Frankft had a good point when he said study some of the older works on the subject and come up with your own routines.
The very first close-up routine I saw was when the guy behind the counter at Disneyland called me over and asked if I wanted to see something he was working on and wasn't for sale in the shop.
He did a dice trick. The dice jumped from hand to hand, changed color, grew HUGE, shrunk and finally disappeared. I have yet to find a routine as magical as that. But it's a good example of stuff you can do.
I just thought I'd throw my two cents in here also. Check out all of the Pallbearer's Review that was released by L&L Publishing a few years ago. Sachs original routine appears in there as well as several other really great dice routines.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Tony Ley
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Thanks everyone for the comments and replies. I will be doing some homework and find out how far i want to go with the dice stuff.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Quite Frankly "Its the Rules" by Bob Sheets is a very good Dice routine, and the move is much easier to do than Sacks.

After seeing Bob Sheets at his lecture, in which he taught us his dice routine, I strongly recommend it. I quickly learn the only sleight involved, now I only have to practice a bit to make it sure fire!

The only thing about his video is that he only says the order of the numbers once, so instead of rewinding the tapes many times to note them down, you simply have to send him an e-mail (go to his website at http://www.bobsheets.com ) and he will send you the order and patter by e-mail.

This guy is not lecturing at FISM for nothing, he IS good!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
Hallo
in Ganson's book "the art of close-up magic" there are some routines with dice.

Massimo Pulidori
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dice Routine's? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL