The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Avatar!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Well I've seen it.

Spectacular piece of work by James Cameron, and the visuals and use of 3D does make your jaw drop at times.

Creating a world and all its indigenous lifeforms and making you believe in it is some achievement and I think this is definitely one to see at the movies in 3D...don't wait for the DVD.

I'd give the whole experience an 8/10 but the story itself less so. In fact there are times when it is incredibly slow and there are times when it is so trite and blase in its well trod "outsider becomes one with a people and ends up being better at being one of them than they are" story that you feel like puking. So any nausea people tell you about is probably around the story not the visuals.

Really glad I went to see this though...it is an experience I wouldn't have missed.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Those blue guys look like a blue version of my nephew
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
When going to a movie to be entertained I truly don't want to care about the technology that made the movie happen. That's like hearing about the trap doors and wires and lighting that make the tricks work.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
But them exit doors are easy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Is it only playing in 3D or did they release a 2D version of it as well?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
I saw it 12 midnight at the IMAX in NYC .... Wow great movie ... simple story and beautiful scenery .... go see it . I think its only in 3d. Me and my friend forgot it was in 3d half way though...its that good !
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I like that both the ultra-conservative fringe and the ultra-liberal fringe are both protesting (*) against Avatar (at least in America, apparently).

Hopefully that means that the majority of the rest of us will find it to be an entertaining movie.

Yes, Payne, there is a 2D version. In my little burg, 5 of 12 theaters are showing the 2D version.

(*) It's possible that the ultra-liberal protest is meant to be ironic; I can't quite tell for sure.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5172 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Avatar has been released in 3 versions. Normal or 2D, 3D and 3D IMAX. In my area, IMAX is a little more expensive but woth it for what you see.
Where the magic begins
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-12-19 20:23, balducci wrote:

Yes, Payne, there is a 2D version.

Lol. Just realised that my comment has a Christmassy ring to it. Guess I'm starting to subconsciously feel the spirit of the season.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
What ultra conservative/ultra liberal fringe thing?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

On one side looks very "white man's guilt" and on other looks very "you should feel good reverting to feudalism".

but visually just amazing - go see it in 3d and enjoy.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-12-19 22:20, kcg5 wrote:
What ultra conservative/ultra liberal fringe thing?

Just a few quick links. You can Google search for others on either side.

The ultra-conservative point of view:

"James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’ Slams America"

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/bighol......america/

Also too preachy an environmental message for some:

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:WkH......&ct=clnk

Then we have the ultra-liberal point of view:

"On Friday, December 18, 2009 thousands of people will be protesting the release of the James Cameron movie, Avatar. The purpose of the protest is as follows:

1) To make all people aware that heterosexual arrogance, assumptions or exclusions of alternative sexualities in movies is no longer acceptable. Diversity and tolerance are human rights.

2) To speak out for all gay, bi-sexual, genderless and transgender people who are not represented by any character in Avatar.

3) To educate people about Evolution and humanity's transition to transgenderism.

All protests will be peaceful and non-confrontational."

http://stopavatarmovie.blogspot.com/
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
The ultra-liberals are being a bit obtuse; why pick Avatar? They could have done this exact same protest for almost any movie released in the last decade.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The review in my local paper was pretty bad. Said the story was inane.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

So what if it's a remake of dances with wolves and battle for terra by way of the puppeteers, the smurfs and thundercats. It's supposed to be about a visual treat and fun to watch scifi film. IMHO it succeeds.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-19 22:32, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
On one side looks very "white man's guilt" and on other looks very "you should feel good reverting to feudalism".

but visually just amazing - go see it in 3d and enjoy.

Just finished reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Most of them agree with you and that it should be seen in 3D

So I guess I'll wait til the DVD comes out since I can't see 3D
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
On 2009-12-19 23:51, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
So what if it's a remake of dances with wolves and battle for terra by way of the puppeteers, the smurfs and thundercats. It's supposed to be about a visual treat and fun to watch scifi film. IMHO it succeeds.

Jon,

In the most part I'd agree with you but there are bits (semi spoiler) like the Jake and the big Red Dragon bit that really made me hate the film for a few seconds for how easy and trite some of the plot resolutions were achieved.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Actually, it is in four forms 2-D (Standard), 3-D, Real 3-D, and IMAX. I don't think IMAX is in 3-D. I saw it in Real 3D with Real polarized hard frame glasses. My son saw it in 2-d with his wife. They loved it too.

Our local paper rated it 3.5 stars out of four, from a person who for the 1st time we agree. Generally her ratings are opposite mine. (She dislikes Sci-Fi)

There are quite a few similarities of "Dancing with Wolfs" and "Avatar".
War mongers mistreating the locals, not understanding the locals culture, slaughtering the "tribes", falling in love with a local, killing of wolves, being "one with nature" etc.

If you liked "Dancing with Wolves", then you will like "Avatar". I will see it a couple more times because there are parts that move so fast, I missed them the first time. I also look at the 10 second frame shots to see how the movie flows. (Understanding Storyline flow for cameramen.)

I rate this the Number 1 Movie in 2009... mainly because I like Sci-fi movies, especially one that has a message, even though we've heard that message before.

It is clear to say, CGI in movies is here to stay, and will be a major part in movie making in the future.

Quote:

I enjoyed Jonathan's point of view, well said. It's like watching the new CGI version of King Kong, in 3D.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I thought this movie was going to be a crapfest about a planet full of Jar Jar's when I saw the preview.
But I watched it anyway and it was frickin' awesome. And I didn't really think about the technology at all once I got into the characters and fun-ness. Which is pretty cool because usually when I watch a CGI character all I can think is how CGI it looks.
Let me point out that the new 3D is NOT the same as the old 3D. I never got old 3D either but the new stuff is pretty cool as long as you don't already have a migraine.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-20 06:20, Dennis Michael wrote:

If you liked "Dancing with Wolves", then you will like "Avatar".

Wow it's that bad Smile

Since I loathed Dances with Wolves (one of the worst movies I've seen. Ccomparable to the first two Lord of the Rings snooze fests. And I have never seen a Cameron movie I thought was watchable. I guess I will wait for this to come out on cable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Avatar!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.48 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL