The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Avatar!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Every time I see the trailer, I expect to see, "Now on X-Box."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I wonder how Avatar compares with Sleep Dealers (the scifi film in Spanish about remote labor)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Payne,

The thing I learned a long time ago, is there is a significant portion of people who so not like Sci-fi or Comedy equal to those that do. There are a few rated if they rate it good, I hate it and if they rate it bad, I usually love it.

I laughed very hard at "Old Dogs" and so did the audience, but the raters gave it an "F". Since I liked all of Cameron movies, I should naturally like this one, which I do.

Since you are not a fan of Cameron movies, it would be expected you wouldn't like this one either. That is an excellent criteria. If one does not the other Cameron movies, they will not like this one either.

History with me, shows that if Roger Ebert likes it, I would mostly like it to.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs......998/1023
He rates it 4 stars out of 5 Stars. I go 5 Stars, Movie of the year for me.
Dennis Michael
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Imax IS in 3-D.

But which Imax? There are different theatrical experiences. There is the BIG Imax have the real Imax experience. And lately the smaller mutilplex Imax screens that do not give the real Imax experience. There is also a terrible version (Balboa Park San Diego Science museum) that is a Dome (like a planetarium) and cranks your neck, as well as the screen is made up of visible panels. Sucks.
Avatar is a 1/2 BILLION dollar 'Ferngully' or 'Battle For Terra'. starring leggy Smurfs. yawn...I'll take 'Alvin & The Chipmunks 2 The Squeakual' ;-)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I love sci-fi, but I love good a story plot as well. Avatar scores big with special effects and computer animation, but scores very low for having a good story line. I'm guessing that all the money was spent on special effects while a true effort on the story was ignored. I watched it in 3D, which is a very cool piece of tecnology. But, I've seen a few 3D animated movies with my little boy, so I wasn't overly surprised by it.

The plot takes a lot of short cuts in telling a story, and I found parts of the movie dragged on more for filler than character developement. After watching the movie I thought about comparing it to a beautiful woman on the outside, but on the inside she is as dumb as an mule. The movie looks great special effects wise, but is very lame and weak when it comes to the story.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
On 2009-12-20 15:58, Doug Higley wrote:
Imax IS in 3-D.

But which Imax? There are different theatrical experiences. There is the BIG Imax have the real Imax experience. And lately the smaller mutilplex Imax screens that do not give the real Imax experience. There is also a terrible version (Balboa Park San Diego Science museum) that is a Dome (like a planetarium) and cranks your neck, as well as the screen is made up of visible panels. Sucks.
Avatar is a 1/2 BILLION dollar 'Ferngully' or 'Battle For Terra'. starring leggy Smurfs. yawn...I'll take 'Alvin & The Chipmunks 2 The Squeakual' ;-)

Not so much Smurfs as Battle-Smurfs with 3 foot long arrows that make a satisfying thunk when they hit a bad guy.

I'd have paid the admission fee to see the folk flying their dragons in 3-D. The perspectives were just superb in that you get a real sense of height (scary) and movement and I couldn't help sitting there with a big grin on my face for big sections of the film.

And I'm pretty certain that most folks experience of 3D won't have prepared them for this...unfortunately there's no way of passing that on except by experiencing it yourself.

Slightly geeky story here. I laughed towards the end of the film and my wife looked oddly at me because nobody else was laughing. I explained afterwards that, as one of the army guys was talking to his men he was effectively standing about 4 foot in front of me above the centre aisle of the cinema just as a woman came back from the toilets with her small child. For a second or two my brain couldn't seperate the film from the reality (my honest to god first thought was "oh get out the way you daft woman, this guy's talking") and the sheer magic of it made me laugh out loud.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
The IMAX near me, is a real good old IMAX-number one!!! And it is playing on IMAX, 3d.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Well then I will see it again at an IMAX in 3D.
Dennis Michael
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-20 16:18, Gospel Dan wrote:
I love sci-fi, but I love good a story plot as well. Avatar scores big with special effects and computer animation, but scores very low for having a good story line. I'm guessing that all the money was spent on special effects while a true effort on the story was ignored. I watched it in 3D, which is a very cool piece of tecnology. But, I've seen a few 3D animated movies with my little boy, so I wasn't overly surprised by it.

The plot takes a lot of short cuts in telling a story, and I found parts of the movie dragged on more for filler than character developement. After watching the movie I thought about comparing it to a beautiful woman on the outside, but on the inside she is as dumb as an mule. The movie looks great special effects wise, but is very lame and weak when it comes to the story.

So basically it's Jar-Jar Binks - The Motion Picture
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Um... well it could spawn some really strange looking videos for the old Village People song "In the Na'Vi".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
It reeled in $73m on opening weekend! How much does a movie ticket cost these days?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Hmm, my local theater, adult evening tickets are going for $10.75 each.

But the darn thing's 2 hours and 40 minutes! What ever happened to editing? Or the ol' 90-120 minute standard? I don't have the stamina to sit through something that long...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

$27.50 in 3D for two or $10 for Two Senior Citizens

It would have reeled in more but here on the east cost where over half the population lives is snowed in this past weekend.
Dennis Michael
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Quote:
And I have never seen a Cameron movie I thought was watchable.

Have you actually seen Terminator 2? It's of the greatest films EVER made on EVERY level. And that's not just my opinion...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_2_judgment_day/

Payne, if you have seen T2 and call it unwatchable, I have to ask what movies DO you like? Smile
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-21 09:46, Clock wrote:
Quote:
And I have never seen a Cameron movie I thought was watchable.

Have you actually seen Terminator 2? It's of the greatest films EVER made on EVERY level. And that's not just my opinion...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_2_judgment_day/

Payne, if you have seen T2 and call it unwatchable, I have to ask what movies DO you like? Smile

Yes, I saw T2. Dreadful film with plot holes so big you could drive a truck through them sideways. And they did!

Probably not entirely his fault though as the Terminator franchise is as flawed as the Predator one is.

As for movies I like

The Shawshank Redemption
Princess Bride
Wilder Napalm
The original Star Wars Trilogy 4,5,6
The first Indiana Jones Movie
Any Pixar film
Any M Night Shyamalan Film
Most Cohen Brothers movies
Forbidden Plant
Day the Earth Stood Still (the original not the dreadful remake)
The Usual suspects
Dark City
Alien (only the first not the horrible sequels that turnd a great gothic horror franchise into a mindless action one)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't like M Night Shamalan's movies. It seems like every one gets worse.
As for Pixar, the latest Ice Age movie was awful.
The Princess Bride is a good movie though.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Amazing movie - I pretty much end up agreeing with Ebert's reviews as well. I felt much like I did when I saw the original Star Wars when I was 12. Cameron has significantly raised the standard for movie making in general. Come to think of it he has done that several times.

If you love movies then you have to see this in the theaters.

If your a criminal who steals movies off of the internet then your really going to cheat yourself out of a once in a lifetime experience.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-12-21 13:03, critter wrote:

As for Pixar, the latest Ice Age movie was awful.

Yes, the last two Ice Age movies were unwatchable. however PIXAR didn't make any of the Ice Age films. They were made by Sky Blue Studios for 20th Century Fox
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Quote:

Yes, I saw T2. Dreadful film with plot holes so big you could drive a truck through them sideways. And they did!

Haha... I was just having some fun, Payne. At least you like good films! Smile

As with T2's plots holes, I think time travel can be a tough nut to crack. I think the biggest one was...

"How was Sky Net/Terminators, inspired and created from the T-800 Chip; isn't that a paradox?"

Didn't bother me. The idea is so ridiculous in the first place. The performances, directing, and dialogue sold me. Such a powerful film... please give it another chance!

Now T3 and T4... CRAP!!!
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
As for Avatar, I pretty much have the same view as everyone else. Going to see it again in IMAX 3D tomorrow... maybe I'll get a different perspective.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Avatar!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL