The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Daryl's Colour Changing Knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Whit Haydn: Yes, I was alluding to the fact that the Daryl knife blades are not stainless steel. And I would REALLY like to know a good way to clean them up.

John Clarkson: Good idea for logically bringing in (not just "ringing in") the prop.

One more note on the color-changing knives as props in general: these are no longer good impromptu props for carrying around airports in the US. They will be taken away from you, even if they are inside carry-on baggage, and you will be out the $10, $27, or $50 (depending on the set) you spent on them. My wife even had a little pair of finger-nail scissors taken away from her at the airport! Just a footnote...

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Good point alleycat! Times have changed. I no longer use fire, knives, bang gun, etc. out in public. Private party it's OK.

Chris

Smile
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of wcb39
In my experience narrower is better. The classics, like the original Merrills and the Sanders, in my humble opinion can't be beat.

Daryl's routine is wonderful, but man it's like doing a paddle move with a two by four. (;-)
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
There is a good routine on one of Bill Malone's On the Loose videos. It will give you some good ideas
Hope this helps someone out there. Smile
Gary
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow,

Am I glad I stumbled on this thread! I've been doing the color-changing knife since my 20's (I'm 48 now)!

I have the Mogar Miracle-Plus Four Knife Set. The story goes as follows:

Quite a while back, I received a gift from a fellow magi called, "Mogar's Miracle-Plus Four Knife Routine". It came in a manila envelope, with a vinyl 6-pocket case, four beautiful knives, and a three-pocket holder. In the package was a page to order additional single-color knives, and double color knives.

After seeing their website, I was shocked to see how expensive they are! I had no idea they were that much, as they were a gift, and have been my favorite color-changing knife set to date.

I hoped to get a few single color, 3-inch knives to be able to hand out for inspection, but sadly, I'm on a limited income, and could not afford that kind of luxury.

I guess it's not that important to hand them out, but I always get a negative reaction, "Oh, they're trick knives, ho hum..."

I've seen Daryl's knives, and was not impressed. There's also a set of mini "Swiss Army" knives that are pretty cool, but the Mogar set has me spoiled.

Thanks for mentioning the restrictive times we live in as well, as I've (mistakenly) carried these with me to show at work, and was scolded quite openly about carrying "weapons" to the office. I laughed to tears, but after I thought about it... Smile times have changed.

Very good topic, folks!

Doug
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
There are still some people who carry pocket knives with them, but they're usually people who have a need for them...such as construction workers or repairmen. And these days, it's more likely to be a Leatherman tool instead of just a pocket knife.

Jeff
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Smile

Uhh....hmmmm...

How about a color-changing LEATHERMAN TOOL!!!

Talk about getting with the times!

Silver to Gold to Black Anodized...

I wonder what Mogar would think of THAT idea? Smile

Doug
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
John Clarkson wrote...

Quote:
...your general point is well-taken, but I think there is still life in color-changing knives. You just have to provide the context for introducing a knife. I use them all the time...here's how:...

How true!

A while back I posted a request for an effect using a pocketknife. I close with a bill to lemon and the knife is NEEDED to cut the lemon. I wanted an effect before the bill to lemon to introduce the knife. Folks on the board introduced me to color changing knives and I must say, saved me loads of time in shopping. I went straight to Joe Moger and was hooked up big time. The routine is great and I use it. But it is SO good that people insist that the knife is gimmicked, even though they can inspect it freely. So now I need an effect before the CCK's to introduce the knife earlier. Can't use cards as they have been put away at this point in the performance. Any ideas for routines which use a knife? If the knife is just used to cut something that is ok. Tricks that use a knife to cut something, anyone?
mecki
View Profile
New user
Austria
4 Posts

Profile of mecki
I first hand out a regular knife and let the spectator stab into the deck for a free (?) selection of a card. I then switch it out for the gimmicked knife (simply by putting it into my pocket, taking it out again and placing it on the table). I go on with some card tricks and then into Daryl´s Routine (which I changed a lot to accustom it to my style).

So, a member of the audience has had the knife in his/her hand, they are "examined" without any direct mention of the fact, which would be suspicious.

I have used the Daryl-set a lot and keep stumbling over one problem: People (in Austria, at least) very often think, that the knives are gimmicked like these cheap novelty - colour changing lighters which change colour when you rub them. It is easy, to let people rub for five minutes, to cancel this possibility out. But it destroys my tight time-schedule, when I do table hopping for large audiences.
There are no kangaroos in Austria
Johnnymysto
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of Johnnymysto
I don't see any problem at all with using pocketknives for magic. Everyone knows what a pocketknife is, and there are still a lot of people who carry one.

My question is, does the paddle move fool people with a pocketknife? The blade switches sides during the move, which would seem to tip the spectator off to something going on. I guess it's nothing to worry about since the effect has been around for so long, but still....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-11-12 11:01, Johnnymysto wrote:
My question is, does the paddle move fool people with a pocketknife? The blade switches sides during the move, which would seem to tip the spectator off to something going on.

I mentioned the same thing to Daryl. He told me he never had a problem with it.

I saw him perform it with ease. I know he practiced it a long time. If we practice a lot too, I'm sure we will be able to master his knives like he does. We won't be complaining his knives are too wide.

Always make sure your hands are dry. It makes the grip better.

Daryl's knives aren't supposed to be easy for us anyway. Remember, "He is the magician's magician." Smile
mecki
View Profile
New user
Austria
4 Posts

Profile of mecki
So the knives are supposed to be difficult to use? I don't believe this.
Daryl is one of my idols and I use the routine very often. For me it works better than the classic versions and it makes more sense with the "misdirection" approach.
But still; the knives are not very practical because they are too flat.
That is why I do not use the normal way of turning them around just by rolling them between my finger and my thumb. Instead, I use a move--which is more like the secret turnover of a business card--to show it blank on both sides. This move is more natural when done with two knives at the same time (at least for me).
If anybody is interested, I will explain it in detail.
Mecki
There are no kangaroos in Austria
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The knives are a bit harder to use because of the width. I don't think this is a reason to give up doing the routine though. I liked Daryl's routine a lot and if he can do it with some practice then obviously everyone else can. Yet there are some who just gave up but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.
Marien Hopman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Marien Hopman
O.K....O.K...I don't have a set of Daryl's knives to comment on. However about 30 years ago while attending Abbott's Getogether, a small-time dealer/manufacturer fooled me badly with "Dropout" (a little steel bar with a knob on one end that contains a ball bearing).
I don't remember his name...but boy could he do the paddle move. For those of you who know what "Dropout" is...you know the paddle move is very difficult. This same guy did a colour changing knife routine with knives that were about 6 to 7 inches long. Boy could he handle those knives and do the paddle move. He just told us all to hold them loose and practice, pratice, practice. I never forgot his closing line to this very day. "I CAN DO THE MOVE WITH A CANOE PADDLE!"
No one ever challenged him on it. (Posted this for your interest's sake.)
Marien Hopman
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
In his Fooler Dooler DVD Daryl recommends you do the paddle move at least 100 times in a row to "get it" I have and did, I find no probs with his knives.

Kindest Regards

DAK
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2003-11-08 14:19, bunkyhenry wrote:
John Clarkson wrote...

Quote:
...your general point is well-taken, but I think there is still life in color-changing knives. You just have to provide the context for introducing a knife. I use them all the time...here's how:...

How true!

A while back I posted a request for an effect using a pocketknife. I close with a bill to lemon and the knife is NEEDED to cut the lemon. I wanted an effect before the bill to lemon to introduce the knife. Folks on the board introduced me to color changing knives and I must say, saved me loads of time in shopping. I went straight to Joe Moger and was hooked up big time. The routine is great and I use it. But it is SO good that people insist that the knife is gimmicked, even though they can inspect it freely. So now I need an effect before the CCK's to introduce the knife earlier. Can't use cards as they have been put away at this point in the performance. Any ideas for routines which use a knife? If the knife is just used to cut something that is ok. Tricks that use a knife to cut something, anyone?

Check out the ending for Three-Card Monte in our book and video, School for Scoundrels Notes on Three-Card Monte called "Knifed!" It is a great ending by Bob Kohler, and it uses a little pocket knife. I use a Mogar knife in the photos and in the video.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-07-13 05:37, Peter Marucci wrote:
Harry Murphy writes: "Marco asks for the reason for color changing knives?" and then points out that, at one time, people carried pocket knives, along with walking sticks, pocket handkerchiefs, pocket watches, and they worse fedoras, vests, and spats!

But they don't any more.

That's very interesting. Maybe you need to get out more. I open the routine I do with "May I borrow your knife, please?" About 30% of the time, someone in the small group I am addressing will have one. Another 30% of the time, they will say, "I don't have mine with me."

Some well-dressed executives still wear vests. You can still buy a really nice assortment of them at formal wear shops.

And if you are working in theme parks or for groups that work in costume, such as Victorian groups and cowboy action shootists, you will find all of the above.

So, it's not a hard and fast rule.

Walking sticks are not a general part of formal wear any more, but they are part of dancer's gear. So if you are a dancer, a stick is perfectly acceptable.

Now pardon me, while I get back to my Victrola.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
When I was a kid in Texas most of my Dad’s generation carried a pocketknife. I inherited several of his pocketknives when he died. I have never carried a pocketknife even when I lived in Texas and Oklahoma.

I work fairly regularly in bar venues (what would be considered working class or red-neck bars). A couple of years ago I asked the guy’s there to empty their pockets just for a little experiment. Suffice to say none of them carried a pocketknife (although one did have a bullet in his pocket). The only change the guy’s had was the stuff that was left on the table or bar from paying for drinks. It would be left behind when they left (the practice here is to not carry a jumble of lose change in the pocket or a big wad of keys!

I have tried the experiment several times over the past number of months. And even done it at my daytime job (several hundred people in the staff dining room). No one carries a pocketknife. Very few carry change.

If I asked to borrow someone’s knife I would be looked at as if I was from another planet!

But then you don't see rifle racks in the rear of windows of the pick-up here either!

It must be a regional thing.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Amazingly enough, most of the people I get the pocketknives from are CEO's of various companies and women!

When you think about it, a pocketknife is a far more common object than a "hot rod" or a paddle. At least people know what they are.

When I go into the routine I do with the knives, I start off with: "May I borrow your pocketknife, please? -- you do have one, don't you? Now I know that some people say 'I don't carry a weapon.' But a knife is not necessarily a weapon. It can be a tool. Think about it.

This one here is the one I use around the office. See this blade? It's perfect for opening those Jet-Packs that computer software comes in. So this is a tool, not a weapon. I have a weapon, though. Want to see it? I knew you would say 'yes'-- we're in Texas!

Now I can see that you don't understand the difference between these two knives. This bone handled one is the one that I carry around the office. The pearl handled one is the one I take to church with me. It's the weapon. I'm getting a blank look from you. You still don't understand, do you?

I took a course in comparative religion when I was in college. They told me that at least 50% of the saints used to be Pagan deities. If one of them switches sides during a sermon and comes barreling down the aisle with a pitchfork, I'm prepared. This blade has been treated with garlic AND holy water, so it can handle anything up to AND including a vampire.

I can see you understand now. You must watch Buffy." This little intro gets some nice laughs and the onlookers get to look at the knives. Then I finish the routine, which is a transposition of the tool and the weapon in the spectator's hand. It gets a very good response.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Scotty York and Fred Kaps put out about as good a cc knife routine as one could imagine with the knives turning into a roll of candy almost in the spectator's hands... thanks to the "Gypsy Switch."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Daryl's Colour Changing Knives (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL