The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Harry Lorayne at Rueben's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommykay
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of tommykay
I met a real magician many years ago. He was cordial and brilliant. His name is Harry Lorayne, and since I have seen him post here recently, I hope he finds this message.

Mr. Lorayne is one of the few genuine superstars of magic, of course. I met him accidentally, in the back room of Rueben's Restaurant in Manhattan, where local magicians used to hang out. I recognized his face, said hello, and he asked me to sit. He was feisty but polite, and he knocked me dead.

My favorite magicians are pleasant and cordial. They simply and humbly share some bit of amazement. (Which is why I generally don't care for online magic forums. There are too many ill-mannered "experts" who think that fooling a lay audience in Chowder Pot, Connecticut makes them Kreskin. To me, a rude magician is an oxymoron.)

Mr. Lorayne was as engaging in person as he was on the Tonight Show. When I introduced myself as a magican, he asked to see something. After I performed my cyclical stack and an adequate push though shuffle, it was like, "Okay, you're one of us." He reciprocated with an extended routine which left me without words. Literally speechless. Which is the point of this message.

I was so knocked out by his performance--and so stunned he would even speak to me, let alone treat me respectfully--that I walked away almost without a word. Dazed a little, I guess. I have often thought back fondly on his kindness and wished I had said the things I've said in this message.

I met many impressive magicians while I lived in New York City: at Rueben's, IBM Ring 26 meetings, Washington Square, Abracadabra Magic and Tannen's Magic. But none were more personable or more amazing than Harry Lorayne.

Thank you.

Tom King, IBM, SAM, AMA
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hey Tom: Thanks for the kind words. It was my pleasur. HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I've never met Harry, but I spent years studying his books as a teenager right up until the present. He is familiar to the members here and so we get kind of casual with him, but I still have him on a pedestal. I relay the story of watching a convention tape where between acts the crowd called on Harry Lorayne to "do something" he sttood up and someone through a deck of cards at him. After a brief shuffle he proceeded to slap down four packets of cards on the top of which were the four aces. The crowd erupted into thunderous applause. I was never the same after that. That particular quickie is still with me today and is my all-time favoutite "pet" effect- my bread and butter! Because of Harry I study regular-deck close-up card magic every day. and I never go anywhere without a pack in my pocket. It's one of my true passions in life.
And never forget that Harry Lorayne is an entertainer- a showman. ( and also responsible for my use of hyphens )

Sincerely, Magicfish
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Harry Lorayne at Rueben's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL