The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Asi Wind Switcher - any suggested sources for 'content?' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Those who have this will know what I mean.

I'm looking for a source for multiples (would be great to have a few dozen of the exact same item) of cheap 'content' for this.

Any suggestions?

e
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Many publishers of some paperback books will offer a substantial discount if you purchase 10-12 or more copies. Couple of tips:

1) avoid currently "hot" best sellers (i.e., the Twilight series, etc.) which the publisher is apt to have little incentive to discout

2) instead go for the perennial favorites that have longevity and titles that will be recognized/familiar to your audience (i.e., Waitley's "Psychology of Winning" or Covey's "& Habits of Highly Effective People" are well-known in the corporate world, the "Chicken Soup" books or positive thinking and popular self help books for other groups) -- even if audience members have not actually read the books themselves, the titles/authors will have the cache of familiarity and legitimacy
Dick Christian
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
There are companies that specialize in what is called remainders. Check out google for books remainders you should find a few.
Dick
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Great tip, Dick...didn't know the jargon for what the music business calls 'deletes.'

Only problem is, the legit Remainder Sellers I've Googled (who have phenomenal prices) require a significant minimum order.
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
You said you wanted a quantity. I guess not that many. You could search around for other books you might want.
Regards
Dick
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
333 copies of the same book is a little more than I need!

I think I've found an alternate source; a little more per book, but no minimum required.

Thanks again.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
What is your alternate source?
Frank
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Actually, Frank, it turned out to be a dead end.

In fact, I've hardly performed the routine as a result of the 'expendable resource' required.

The other thing I've learned, is that you can't simply go by the dimensions indicated on a web site, as 1mm may be the difference between fitting and being useless. So, you really do have to physically try out the books you're considering - which means a bricks & mortar bookshop, where prices are invariably higher.

Finally, I was considering putting together a consortium of "Switcher" users, to share an order, but it has come to my attention that not all of the gaffs may be the same book/size.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Good tip on the size of the gaff.

I have found some suitable books at a FIVE BELOW store...a toy store with items under five. It is hit or miss to find suitable texts. I usually spend about 10/12 dollars for 5 or six texts.

Dollar stores are not very good source, I have not found any suitable books there.
Frank
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Eric,

IMO the solution to your dilemma is simply to go to your local bookstore try various paperbacks (or, if you prefer to use them, hardcover books) until you find a few inexpensive ones that work. Make note of the publisher, then contact them and see if they will discount the price if you order say a dozen at a time. I'd even check with the general manager of your bookstore and see if they will sell you a dozen or so at slightly over wholesale as long as you will assure them that you are buying them as "gifts" and not for resale. You never know and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Especially if you are a regular customer they might be willing to be accommodating.
Dick Christian
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2010-03-13 12:42, squando wrote:
Good tip on the size of the gaff.

Out of curiosity, mine is entitled: "The Politics Of Politics." Yours?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Eric,

If you're asking me, the answer is yes. I don't know how many units Asi had made, but my guess is that they all (at least those for the US market) have the same cover and that he used other covers for those to be sold in other countries. (At least that's what I would have done if I had come up with the idea.)

I may even change the cover if I find one that is more compatible with the titles of the books I use in my routines.
Dick Christian
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
724 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Asi recommends the Dollar Store
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2010-03-13 14:22, corpmagi wrote:
Asi recommends the Dollar Store

Have yet to find one that has suitable books
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Personally, I'd lean more toward a real bookstore (e.g., Borders, Walden, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, etc.) which is apt to have a far better selection of better books. For corporate groups books like Carnegie's "How To Win Friends and Influence People" are ideal, for other groups those like any of the "Chicken Soup" series (e.g. "Chicken Soup for the Soul," etc.) would be good. Familiar titles, known authors, readily available, inexpensive and unlikely to go out of print in the foreseeable future.
Dick Christian
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
I am agreeing with going into a real book store. One of the local ones near me always have 5 books for 20 dollars on the selected table, so all you have to do is come up with a story as to why you want so many of the same book.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

If you have to explain why you're buying copies of the same book -- and unless it is specified that they have to be 5 different books you shouldn't have to -- buying them as gifts is probably as good as any.
Dick Christian
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
I never really gave a reason it is just the strange looks and the you know we sell other books right?

I usually just be as short with them as they are with me.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Not sure why you would feel the need to explain buying multiple copies of the same book. You'd be surprised at just how common this occurrence is in a bookstore....people buy multiple copies of books that have inspired them, to share with others, all the time.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Mine is the same title...Poitics of Politics...

I am sure that a dollar store on the right day will find results.. I can only find coloring and word search books there. Of course my hope is to find a dozen paper backs that I would want to sell.

Asi said he chose the "Politics" title because is would be unlikely chosen by a specator because it looks like a text book and is about a topic of little interest.
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Asi Wind Switcher - any suggested sources for 'content?' (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL