The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Managing Coin Gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
So, when you are table hopping, how do you manage between different gaffed coins? For instance. You have three coin routine options for this particular night. One uses a flipper, one uses a sh**l, and the other is ungaffed. You have four - six other non-coin routines. How do you typically keep your coins about you, and be sure you don't mix things up?

Do you keep them all in separate little purses or wallets, and only do one coin routine per table? Can you do more than one routine per table and somehow switch your gaffs in and out? If so, how do you do that? What is a practical method?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8725 Posts

Profile of Mb217
How about ditching the gaffs so you don't have to stay up with them or get them set? How about just using the ungaffed coins, maybe 3 dollar size or half dollar size coins that allow you to do a 1 coin routine, couple of tricks with 2 coins and then a 3 coin routine. Or you can do all that backwards as you move from table to table. You can even sew routines together to make longer effects, or just play with vanishes, changes (bring a different coin) or reproductions at a table or two. Just a different way of doing it, without all the trickery sometimes. Sometimes just let your hands be the gaff and you can do a heckuva lot more. Smile Good luck.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
MB - Your feedback is always so good, but sometimes you get confused and accidentally wander into the "Trick Coin Trickery" section of the Café. I'm sure this was simply an accident, and you were meaning to be in the "Nothing Up Your Sleve" section...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Tony,
I always Carry 4 Coin purses on me 2 in my left pocket. And 2 in my right pocket! One is 4 coins and a shell, And from that I can do all my shell stuff, And all my Ungaffed 4 coin stuff! One is a solid c.s.b. set. One is my 5-7 way spellbound, And the 4th. one is whatever I am playing with now! Smile Ok hope this helps!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks David. That is helpful. If your fourth purse contained a flipper, it would be odd to switch from a shell set to your flipper set for the same group, right? Do you avoid this, or do you make sure your flipper set is different looking to the lay audience from your shell set (like make one a dollar size and the other a half dollar size), would that be adequate motivation for putting away one set and pulling out another set? Does my question make sense?
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
Hi Tony,

One approach is to do what we talked about earlier and what Mr. Neighbors suggest and use Coin pouches each pouch will have a gaff in it you want to use. Since you mention table hopping then I would only do one gaff coin routine for each table that way it does look weird bring in and out different pouches for each routine.
Another approach would be structure your routines so when your doing one things your getting a gaff. For example I have a one coin routine that in the middle I get a gaff through natural movements and start into a spellbound type of routine then at the end I'll do a jumbo production or produce a deck of cards and go into
a card set ...etc It all depends on what you want to do. If you send me your set of tricks we can go through it and see what will be your best approach. It Could be purses(pouches), bodyloads or pocket management.
Good luck, My door is open.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks Tim - I'll take you up on that open door when the time is right. You are a little ahead of me.

I'm preparing so I will be proficient at walk around / table hopping. I currently do stage stuff, and have no problem there. I typically turn down walk around opportunities. I have only done walk around once, and I felt very amaturish. So, I am slowly working out the kinks. And this thread is certainly one of the kinks.

I would like to ask what body load methods are out there for switching out shells and flippers? And are any working magicians finding them practical? Which are the best? I would love to see web links. If this is too private for open forum, feel free to PM me. Thanks...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
Here's a link to a holdout its the TDC first one on the page. Can't recommend this enough.
http://www.magicbypauline.com/utility.html
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8725 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You're right Tony, my bad...What was I thinking??? It was late, what can I tellya. Smile But you got some good ideas from some great workers here so you'll be fine. Smile

Happy Holidays just the same my friend. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
No problem MB - I just felt like messing with you. And truth be known, your suggestion is an option I am considering. I want to give the gaffed stuff a fair look though.

Tim - great link. That device looks very versitile, whick is critical for someone like myself.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Thanks Tony,
Yea you could have a steal core fliper on a magnet hold out and switch in! But As haas been said Just do one gaffed coin trck at a table! You don't have that much time at a table! And You don't want to do and all coin set for Layman! Now for magicions at a magic con. I do all coins! But Layman want to see all kinds of stuff!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
irondemon69
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of irondemon69
Hey Tony,If I work with gaff coins I will do a lap around the tables and then return back to the same tables with new gaffs and routines.DO 3 to 5mins per table and return later.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 09:44, feher wrote:
Here's a link to a holdout its the TDC first one on the page. Can't recommend this enough.
http://www.magicbypauline.com/utility.html
Tim

Thanks Tim... I have been on the lookout for this holdout for a while.

Shawn
Shawn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Managing Coin Gaffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL