We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Do you guys find Penn & Teller's Trick, scams and such too much work for "on the spot magic" Do you find it to cruel to do to the guy that ask's to see a trick?
Smile
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Which of P&T's effects are you referring to? Some are fine, some are way overboard for an informal performance. It depends on your style, the effect in question, the spect, ect.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
They both released a book "How to play with your food"/Villard Books.

Some of the business in there is more tame and non-lethal... a few of them would work in an impromptu setting...

Check it out!

It's too bad I missed the
"Asparagus Valley Cultural Society"
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
368 Posts

Profile of Bill
Just my two cents, but I refuse to buy or see anything done by Penn and Teller. These clowns expose more magic secrets then the Masked Magician. It's apparent they have little regard for the the art of magic, and fancy themselves as "rebels".

It baffles me they are popular with magicians. Smile Smile Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
You obviously haven't seen their live show. I've seen them perform live, twice, over the years. It's always a great show!
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
368 Posts

Profile of Bill
Yes I have seen their live show. It was good, however that same week on TV they exposed the cross cut force. Since then I've seen many things exposed. So for me, I choose not to support them with my wallet. Smile
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Bill-
I can understand where you are coming from, but the way they "reveal" secrets is entirely planned to be ineffective. They "exposed" several sleights, then five minutes later fooled the entire audience with a routine using nothing but the sleights they just "revealed". They gave away the cups and balls so fast that nobody in that audience could tell you how it was done anyways. That was the idea! These revelations were planned to be non-revelations.

I say that if you're that worried about a stupid cross-cut force being seen on TV, learn a NEW FORCE! As far as P&T being worse than Valentino... come on.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
368 Posts

Profile of Bill
Oh excuse me, I didn't realize that it's ok to expose magic, just as long as your being entertaining.

I don't think you advance magic at all by exposing the tricks, and making magic and magicians the butt of your jokes.

But like I said, this is my opinion. Smile
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
As I just said, they are technichally not exposing magic, as they are still fooling everyone with the moves they "exposed". It is ineffective exposure... purposely ineffective exposure. (if you can call it that)

How exactly are magicans and magic remotely the butt of P&T's jokes? I'm honestly interested.

You are completely entitled to that, as am I. I do not expect either of us to change our minds on the matter, but I'm simply trying to show you that there is another side to the argument.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Bill I can understand your feelings exactly. Penn & Teller make an act of being
"charmingly obnoxious". While I agree the other side of the argument needs to be heard I thought the laughing bit was a bit ungracious.

In any case, when you ask most people about Penn & Teller, their response is "who?" heck most even respond to Blaine and Copperfield in that manner.

The sad point is that, no matter how
"famous", they are only famous to a few. I continue to use the cross cut force with abandon. In fact I've done things in shows when the night before it had been exposed by that masked guy.

People have a short memory. Our profession and politicians both depend upon it.

Penn & Teller will always be to magic as Howard Stern is to radio or another way, as tin foil is to fillings. Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
exodus
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of exodus
Penn and Teller have their own way of exposure. They expose things in a way that very few people would be offended. Laymen have so short of an attention span for this art that P&T have learned to take advantage of it. I've done magic for years and was amazed by their Clear Plastic Cups and Balls routine. The Cross Cut Force? How can you get upset when that's revealed? It's not the greatest. If they revealed the Slip Force or Classic Force or 10-20 or even the 2x Cut then we may be in trouble, but not over the Cross Cut force. I've never even understood how that can fool someone. The first time I saw it I knew what was going on. Let them reveal it. They have a style that has made them famous. Let them be famous. Instead of worrying about how a beginners force was ruined, and probaly used again in the same show, work on your own material and don't let it bother you. Fox revealed the Raven, 2 Card Monte and a good number of my effects, so what. I still do the same effects. Laymen don't usually watch those shows anymore anyways. Magicians are so easy to annoy. People get mad at you if you figure out a trick and don't want to buy it afterwards. What happened to doing magic for the fun of it. It's all been watered down by "He used camera's," or "they revealed that."
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
To get back to the original point, I think the principle of not making a spectator look bad is a good, solid principle. Penn & Teller are able to make exceptions to this principle, but very few magicians are. Their delivery makes it possible for them to do more than just get away with it. They do very well with it! I hear Gazzo can be very hard on some audience members, and he's also thriving. Every form of entertainment has its "rules of engagement" in every aspect of a performance, and every one of those rules has performers who successfully break those rules. Those who can successfully work outside the rules are rare.
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
& Special Guest
406 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Speaking of P&T I think that their TV show really is something that everyone should look at.
Simplest of the schoolboys now knows truths for which Archimedes would have given his life...
chriscox
View Profile
Regular user
London
173 Posts

Profile of chriscox
Back to the original point, most of the effects in their books I find are more important for inspiration and good reading. Some clever effects to work with, some great views on performing and some great reveals...I love the 3 of Clubs Pizza!
MagicMaker
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MagicMaker
I bought one of their books and learned how to bend and break a spoon using the "break". I used this for years. I would sneak a spoon into the bathroom and make the "break". Then I would bend and break the spoon at a restaurant or at someone’s house. I never got much reaction except for stares and silence. I think it was because people believe it's real and don't know how to react.

Actually I seem to get better reactions doing ESP/telekinesis type effects than magical effects. Maybe it's because of my quiet personality. People have asked me so many times if I'm using my mind to do these things.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Magicians are often the easiest people fooled...

For years, magicians believed that Penn & Teller were exposing magical secrets and magicians told other magicians to be angry about it and they WERE! I've seen their show live and multiple shows, interviews, etc. and their love of magic far exceeds most of us just because of the chances they take. Even Johnny Thompson admits that they're some of the greatest guys to work with. They don't expose, they make us think they do and an audience think they will, and that's priceless.

Anything with Penn & Teller gets my money (I even have a copy of "Penn & Teller Get Killed") and their being one of my initial influences helped me love magic more and I'm thankful for that.

--Malak
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
My comment on P&T: I like Teller. The one who never talks. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Agree, Teller is cool. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
Queens, NY
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
Teller is one of the most talented magicians in the world. Nuff said.
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
mystic shriner
View Profile
New user
Midwest, USA
64 Posts

Profile of mystic shriner
I spent some time with Penn at the Jay Marshall Roast last November in Chicago. The first thing out of his mouth was, "I hate magicians, are you a magician?" I thought it was really funny. From talking to him that night I think that what he hates, as I do, are some of the politics in the magic circles, and the weird twists on the idea of not showing how a trick works. I don't believe in revealing how tricks work and, at the same time, it's really all about misdirection, isn't it? I don't think all their ideas are good for "on the spot" stuff, but some are so easy you just have to do them when you have the chance!

By the way, if you ever get a chance to meet Penn, he's really a great guy...and I'm not just saying that as some star-struck fan. I'm not a big fan, however, I definitely appreciate their style, very good "vaudville re-born". They're kind of like the "Three Stooges of Magic." Of course the audience member/victim they choose is the "third stooge." Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL