The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
Ha! We could probably have an entire thread just from Freddy's Boys.
I used to spend a lot of time in the store and the cross section of magicians and humanity walking into that little space was asounding!
More than once I remember watching those gull wing eyebrows of his come down as he sized up one of the "boys" who had requested a particular effect and hearing him say; "that's a good effect alright...but not for you".
More than magic lessons learned in that store.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Isn't it amazing how many lives can be touched by the owner of one brick and mortar store?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
whizzomagic
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Ky
109 Posts

Profile of whizzomagic
Quote:
On 2003-06-23 11:05, Bill wrote:
Just my two cents, but I refuse to buy or see anything done by Penn and Teller. These clowns expose more magic secrets then the Masked Magician. It's apparent they have little regard for the the art of magic, and fancy themselves as "rebels".

It baffles me they are popular with magicians. Smile Smile Smile

Give them a break. They don't expose much of what wasn't already known by the non magic public anyway. I like Penn and Teller, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
KaydoWhoa
View Profile
New user
Keystone Heights, Florida
90 Posts

Profile of KaydoWhoa
Quote:
On 2006-03-14 12:41, whizzomagic wrote:
Quote:
Just my two cents, but I refuse to buy or see anything done by Penn and Teller. These clowns expose more magic secrets then the Masked Magician. It's apparent they have little regard for the the art of magic, and fancy themselves as "rebels".

Give them a break. They don't expose much of what wasn't already known by the non magic public anyway. I like Penn and Teller, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I have seen them many times "expose" sleights and although I don't agree with all of it I think some is with merit. Often when Dai Vernon performed 3 card monte he would expose the "hype" and I think it actually helped the effect..And as far as a magician to expose an effect just because it was already known by most laymen is never a good thing.. If ten people know how some effect was done why let twenty more people in on it?? doesn't make sense to me.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 05:34, KaydoWhoa wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-14 12:41, whizzomagic wrote:
Quote:

I have seen them many times "expose" sleights and although I don't agree with all of it I think some is with merit. Often when Dai Vernon performed 3 card monte he would expose the "hype" and I think it actually helped the effect..And as far as a magician to expose an effect just because it was already known by most laymen is never a good thing.. If ten people know how some effect was done why let twenty more people in on it?? doesn't make sense to me.

Without checking on the internet please answer these questions
To three decimal points what is Phi?
What is the capital of Peru?
On which date did Neil Amrstrong land on the moon?
Almost every person in the world knows the answers to these questions yet are unable to answer them when they are asked. The general public is like that. The fact that they are fooled later on after the explanation means that they are entertained and usually not able to recall what exactly they were told regarding the effect earlier which is why it is not exposure of magic but a method to entertain.
The truth is that you are not letting 20 more people in on it because for one they can not really recall the explanation afterwards and secondly there is no real "in" and "out" in magic as these things are available for free if you have a computer.
As for P&T 's TV show it is very humorous but they do not really prove much except that there are some funny people in the world.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
593 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
On what date was JFK shot in Dallas, TX?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL