The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Funny or Gag shuffles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

allanr
View Profile
New user
Houston,Tx
19 Posts

Profile of allanr
Hi everyone,

What are your favorite funny bits and gag/funny shuffles to throw in between effects. For instance the 'Russian' shuffle - spring the cards from hand to hand. 'One card "rushing" after another <groan>
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Thomas Hudecsek
Hi!
I love to use a special riffle shuffle I learned once from Daryl at a convention. I fogot who invented it, but it looks like this:

1: cards are on the table riffle shuffled together, but angeld and only pushed halfway together. looks like a reversed V
2: cut the angeld packet in half for a second riffle shuffle so you have two reversed V's
3: using both outer parts of the halfs, riffle shuffle the inner parts together so it looks like an M
4: square everything up.

Looks funny and elicts a chuckle.

Does anyone know who invented this?
Is anyone, who don´t know that shuffle, able to figure out what I tried to describe?

Thomas Smile
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Check out Diamond Jim Tyler's book "Pocket Full of Miracles", page 10, for the "Comedy Shuffling Routine ". Enjoy.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
There used to be a commercial routine sold about "shuffology". It covered things like the Charlier Pass also known as "The Kosher Cut" because it was a pass-over.

There are a lot of gag shuffles but some of them are sigh gags are easier to see than explain.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Not so much a shuffle, but a gag I use occasionally is the "Ginsburg Poke" to control a card.

Basically, you tell your audience that you just need to give the deck the "Ginsburg Poke" and, in doing so, poke a small packet of cards out of the center of the deck.
Always gets a chuckle, especially when the audience gets to try it.
"Poke with conviction," I tell them, "poke like you really mean it."

I read about it in Vernon's "Inner Card Trilolgy"
Not sure if he originated it though.

Anyone else use this?

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I like the gag that Tom Mullica used to do: after scraping together all the spilled cards on the table into a single, disorganized pile, the rounded pile is then stood on its edge to square it.

But Tom would end up rolling the messed up wheel of cards slowly across the table without ever getting them squared. He'd just keep going and going and finally he'd go right off of the table.

It was hilarious at the Tom Foolery because he would just keep rolling and straightening those cards along the bar for several feet or more.

The interesting part is that the audience would start to catch on little by little and the laughing would increase the farther he went.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
I use the 'Leicester' shuffle. I pick up half the deck, and announce I will perform the very demanding Leicester shuffle, so called because, since I'm using only half the deck, there are 'less to shuffle'. You have to be there. And English too.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1735 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I think Paul Daniels still uses this in his act, along with spilling them on the ground saying it's Texas shuffle: "Teks us a long time to pick 'em up!"

He also used to do the "South African shuffle: you segregate the blacks...", upjog each black card, faces to the audience.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-04-04 12:58, Geoff Williams wrote:
I like the gag that Tom Mullica used to do: after scraping together all the spilled cards on the table into a single, disorganized pile, the rounded pile is then stood on its edge to square it.

But Tom would end up rolling the messed up wheel of cards slowly across the table without ever getting them squared. He'd just keep going and going and finally he'd go right off of the table.

I never saw Mullica do this old gag, but Paul Diamond used it after having a selected card returned to a tabled spread; he then proceeded to overhand shuffle - carelessly - so that many cards would spill out onto the table. Another "roll-up" and several sloppy overhands later he would have only one card remaining in his hands... revealed (finally) to be the selection.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
What about the government shuffle
you split the pack in half and then hold each half of the deck about a foot from each other and then pretend to shuffle the pack like you would if they where close, and the tag line would be
"They shuffle but nothing happens."
Smile
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Paul daniels has a routine where he demonstrates about 12 different shuffles-some comedy and some genuine.
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Or the play on the Scottish being tight with their money. You split the deck of the riffle shuffle. The very gently riffle the two halfs without letting them mix together (so as to protect the cards and get more use out of them), then carefully reassemble the deck as before.

-Rd
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
There are more than a few of such ideas in Ed Marlo's Cardician booklet if you can get your hands on a copy. Actually, what am I saying? It's available everywhere for next to nothing! Smile
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
My Good friend Larry Mahan has a Comedy shuffling routine. If memory serves it is published in his "Table Hopping for Kids and Families" notes.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4459 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
The government shuffle is fun to do, however though when I use it I call it the Government shuffle, all I do is do a face up triple false cut, as I say 'Cuts, cuts and more cuts, yet there is never a change!'.
The leicester shuffle is great, but as already said, pretty much for an Enlgish audience.

Thomas Hudecsek, if memory serves me, the person who created that was Jerry Andrus
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
For the record, Most of the shuffles themselves are not original with Larry. The routining and ploys are. There are some great "bits of business" woven into it. He makes the literally non-magical, Magical!
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Funny or Gag shuffles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL