The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Jumbo Man in the moon (Luna trick) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If anyone's interested, we have two new sizes of the Man In The Moon (luna trick). The largest is almost 30 inches across, big enough for any stage and works great. I could have made it 36 inches but 30 is enough.

Click here to view attached image.
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Is ther anyway I can get a copy of the patter for this? I have an original Supreme one I just repainted but no patter.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hi Jay.
The large size looks fantastic. I bought the smaller version from you a while back and been using it a lot. It's very well made and light.
This new one is a bot too large for my liking. I'm using small and light props due to getting old and having a bad shoulder.
I would recommend either size. The material is the best.
Tricky Ricky.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
6 year old post 2009- but I'm glad someone is using the search function.

Ricky - The 30 inch wide model is almost tooooooo large for anyone to use, by themselves, except for a magic convention or if you have an assistant or 2 on stage. And... you're not getting old... repeat after me "I am not getting old"

rickfcm - No patter was included with ours. It's a self-evident sucker trick. Tell the kids the sun has vanished and tilt the slide. They hear the clunk and you're off to the races.
Three tilts (with opening the wronf door) then you open both doors and it's gone - close them doors and "find it" in the cloud. (not that cloud... the wood one)

You could get more complicated (Turning the slide around like a clock - opening the doors and YOU don't see anything) but - that's basically it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As I remember, the one from Mephisto Huis in Europe did not come with any patter as well, just the working instructions.

In the olden days, tricks did not come with any patter, just the basic working of how the trick worked. Usually a person could not decipher the instructions without the prop at hand.

Supreme Magic was the first company, as I remember it, to start sending routine, patter, and ideas for use, instructions with all their tricks. It was a big help in getting the creative juices flowing.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How many man in the moon faces do you see at night? Thus far I have seen the face with two front teeth, a sad face - worried look, and a winter puckered lip version, like he is blowing the north wind. He is a real magic trick, he disappears in the daylight, and appears only at night. Sometimes he tries to hide from me behind clouds. His glow always gives him away, and he peeks out at us from time to time. He is able to move across the sky with ease. I like when I see he is content and feeling good.

That is the beginning of my Man In The Moon Routine.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That's beautiful and quite poetic Bill.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Did the Supreme version include instructions? I have one I just picked up...appears to never have been used.

Steve
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All Supreme magic had instructions, and most of the time, they were very good with patter and all.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Now I've been informed that the one I have is not a Supreme, but a pretty old Abbotts. It's the only one I've ever seen with the moon face that looks like a simple "smiley face".

Steve
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's never made Man in the Moon to my knowledge, unless you are talking about pre 1940's. Then I have to question them using a smiley face, as it was not used back then. Unless you mean it just looks similar to a modern day smiley face. I visited Abbott's several times a month from 1964 to until the 1980's and they never had this effect on display.

It would make sense if someone makes a Man in the Moon it would be smiling for kids shows.

The only person who would know is Gordon "Mike" Miller, but he no longer works for Abbott's. He had ever trick Abbott's made or so it seemed.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I have the Supreme Man In The Moon. It came with full instructions. Mine has a smily face.
This is one of my favourite effects. It is a wonderful prop for kids shows and I get a great reaction out of it. I love it! Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Jumbo Man in the moon (Luna trick) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL