The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Original Walsh Appearing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I've come into possession of an original Walsh Appearing Cane, in good condition complete with original instructions. I was wondering what this prop is valued at these days?

Any help would be appreciated!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This cane sold for $25.00 the last time it was on the market. All canes are now made much better, illuminating the need to oil the canes to keep them from rusting.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Where can some get those canes ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can only obtain original Walsh Canes from estate sales or auction sales or from families of magicians that have passed away. They are no longer made and the person who took over the rights does not desire to pursue the manufacture of this product.

Actually, all Appearing and Vanishing are a 'rip off' in design of the Russ Walsh model. You cannot get them at 1980 prices any longer. Remember inflation, well it must be included in the figuring of the price.

Maybe someone on the Café knows how to figure what there price would be in current economic value.

Example: I small plastic Ball and Vase trick only cost $.25 in 1960, it now cost around $4.00, that is an increase of 16 times the old price. Believe it or not, that product was made better then the $4.00 model you purchase today.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thanks for your reply. So lets go auction then !

Oliver.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have a Walsh cane I bought in 1965. I still use it in almost every show. It's quieter, faster, and more rigid than any of the new models. It still works like new after 45 years.

One sold not to long ago on the Raleigh Vintage auction site, I think it went for $100.00. I wouldn't sell mine for $1,000.00.

Jim
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I'd sell mine for $900 ppd.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Does it have real ivory on the cap and ferrule with a bouquet inside?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
No that would be extra.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Serious? at that price, I'll sell mine too.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
At that price, I'd start making them again. (We can dream right?)

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Ha! Offer me $1,000 for mine. I promise you I'll turn you down. This thing is more dependable than my wife.

Jim
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
JIm,
I sure hope your wife doesn't see this forum.

richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-12-30 15:37, jay leslie wrote:
Does it have real ivory on the cap and ferrule with a bouquet inside?

I do believe that is the vanishing cane with the cap, the appearing does not. The Walsh is a chubby cane.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Si senior

Bought it new (Ivory and all) and the flowers still look good today. 27.50 was a lot of money for a 14 year old.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Actually, I think the knob was catalin. Did you know that Russ kept special canes for Marshall to use on this trick? Also they were stretched and reverse wound from the normal winding direction of the vanishing canes. I still have 3 or 4 of them around.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Original Walsh Appearing Cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL